• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 24, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
After all these years, I finally found the elusive 73 that really wanted to come north!
283986.jpg

Charlie, nice find! Looks to be in decent condition too.
greenthumb.gif
I assume that's the seller's photo, any detail photos of the decal on the air cleaner and by the shift lever?

I have to agree with GERRY on the old fashioned "L" shaped NEW allen wrenches for busting those six PTO setscrews loose. And lots of PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, home-made Acetone/ATF, whatever your favorite rust-buster is. Then coat the screws with Anti-sieze when you put it back together. Makes future disassembles MUCH easier.

STEVE B. - Week ago tonight I was watching an older Coffin-nose Magnum pushing 5 inches of new snow around our parking lot at work. FWA, duals, no chains, BIG 12 ft snow blade on the frt. 7150, 7250, 8950, maybe a smaller HP rating. He was having NO HP or traction issues. Kinda envious, I could see into the cab well enough to tell he had the sleeves on his flannel shirt rolled up, no coat/jacket, but couldn't make out the model looking into the flood lights around the parking lot 250 ft away.

When he'd power-shift from 13th, 14th, or 15th gear forward into 4th reverse, sure a LOT of clunking going on in the trans. The neighbor's MX-180 & 200 don't make those noises.

Have to laugh, neighbor across the road chisel plows with a green 4955 and a 2-shank too big chisel plow. Neighbor with the MX-200 uses a smaller plow and actually covers more acres per day/hour, and doesn't have to run 2000# of suitcase weights below the back window of the cab to get traction.

I've watched the neighbor behind me farm for 20+ yrs, seen everything from a Farmall 300, M, 706G, 1486, 3588, 5288, couple newer Magnums, now the MX's run. Used to enjoy falling asleep 15 yrs ago listening to the DT466 in the 3588 chisel plowing.

Bet he mows with an IH CC too!

A power-shift of some sort would be better than a full hydro for draft loads. Today's designs reduce the parasitic power loss and heat build-up of the early P/S trans. And they're durable with wet clutches. But finding a trans small enough with enough gears for a CC would be hard. A hydro is probably the best alternate. But I'm still partial to GD's.

CHARLIE - Great find on the 73. Even has the Big Block K-series trans-plant done already!

Kraig,
Yep, that was taken much earlier in the year, LOL
It is a Minnesota tractor though.
I have no clue on the decal.
I'll find out at the end of the month when I go get it.

Here's all I know,
Model 73 International Cub Cadet. Runs Good! Rides Good! Steering is very tight. Tires are good, hold air. Complete new wiring harness. Original 7 horse motor has been replaced with a 10 horse motor. Hood hinge points have been repaired, also the baffle has been repaired. Shifting lever has a little play in it from side to side.
283992.jpg

283993.jpg

Denny,

Add clutch packs to a 5088 and you get a Magnum powershift, that simple.

Now, if we could Power Shift a Cub that would be fun. I need to find a 19T second for my 582, stock 17T is WAY to slow to plow with!!!!

Nice score Charlie. The 73 is a favored tractor.

I know I should know this ,but will a k301 from a 123 be a plug and play drop in fit on my 129??

JEFF - Should drop right in and everything hook up just fine.

Harry; I have the engine ready to lift out. I can clean it and the frame up also. The engine is a long block replacement. Walbro carb doesn't have a high speed adjustment?

May have to relocate coil higher to clear frame.

Nice 73 Charlie! If the shifter has some play, chances are that the operator was in a hurry shifting; and the result caused the play. Can't really bitch about a gear drive, there solid as rock! Do I see fenders and a clutch shield in the future,....

John L.
Fenders, hydraulic lift, lights, creeper, rear PTO, pretty much everything!
beerchug.gif

Probably not on the clutch shield, I like to see what things are doing in that area, LOL

Eddie "Hot Rod" Lincoln - I'd certainly be looking for a No. 26 Kohler carb. They're pretty readily available - course I still understand first things first - meaning finding out what's going on with the starting. I'd like to know what you do find. Sure sounds to me like something strange with the ACR and/or maybe the cam if the engine has been apart before.

Charlie - nice little 73 there. Paint looks surprisingly good. I'll bet you could just wax it up and bring back some gloss to it.
As to the clutch cover - I know it's nice to be able to see in there all the time, but things have a habit of flying into that area because of the flywheel fan suction, and sometimes they really come flying out. Might just be bits of grass or sand or something, but a little protection can save alot. And heck, once you see that clutch stuff in there you really won't need to look again for quite sometime.

Charlie P. Sweet little 73 that you found. And it is at a loving home also.

Swing and a miss.
I accidently knocked a fin off of a K301 flywheel.
I was thinking of milling it off evenly and one oppsite to match. Thoughts?

The SOB that had rebuilt the motor left the taper full of paint.
I have never had a flywheel put up such a fight. Same guy had painted the inside of the carburator.....grrrr.

Rick B, there are several people on here who have run them with missing fins with no problems other than maybe a little more vibration. I think Dennis F had a 129 that had 2 or 3 gone. As cheap as they are I'd just get another, but that's just me.

Charlie - nice 73 and one of my favorites. Old style look with QA option. Actually have a guy from Poland wanting one of my 73s to send back to his dad over there. No idea if that's doable but interesting nonetheless.

Back