• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 24, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, so your switchin from the 5/8" NF to 1/2" NC?
You forgot to tell Chad about the oil pan thing too.
You know, ISO mounts and a few other minor details, grin

Too many projects planed for this summer to chance using the 12hp in it's current oil burning, hard starting,low power and smoking condition. So I pulled it and sent it out for total rebuild. I let my wife suggest it several times before reluctantly pulling it. Am I lucky to have her or what?
25954.jpg

Meanwhile the 124 is patiently waiting for spring.
25955.jpg

Well just got in from the Winter Convention. WOW, was there some very cool and rere stuff there!!!! Pix to follow later.

Also pick up the 73 form Art "A" and the Haban from Rich "P". I want to thank Dave Dourgherty, Brian ? (need full name), and Kevin "D" for the help getting this stuff to me. Tomorrow is round two for more Cub Cadet goodies!

The 149D is running at last and had been doing a good job with the snow we have getting in Wis. lately Thanks to Joe Persoon and all others with help and info on getting this completed . Next improvments might be a turbo and a complete repaint now that all the engineering and fabrication is completed

My last post was suposed to ahave a picture of the completed tractor . I'll try again on trying to post them. Otherwise if anyone wants pics, please email me and I'll be happy to share some pic's with anyone who is interested,, Wayne

Chad things to look for on the 12.
1st thing you want to look at is the block. make sure it has the correct holes in it for the electric pto. not all the older engines had them.
2nd look at the end of the crank. it needs a taped hole to hold the electric pto on
3rd a location to put the dipstick in from the 14. side mounted on starter side or pressed into top of block

things you'll need to change over to the 12
head (spark plug location)
head studs as needed
sheet metal
bearing plate
charging stater
flywheel
choke shaft
air cleaner
cam cover if it has a dipstick in it
starter
throttle & choke linkage

if you didn't have to put the 1450 back together you could just drop the 1450 engine in a 128. but you don't want to hack the 1450

Rob I've done that repair before. on one of my past pullers I sliped fine thread threaded rod inside the steering shaft and spot welded it in through holes I drilled in the steering shaft itself. that worked out pretty good also.

Here's what I was trying to post last night. Check out this cool grill I saw at the W.C..

Thanks Charlie!
25969.jpg

Any suggestions about what a high pitched squealing sound might be from a 14hp Kohler. It starts and runs good except for the metal against metal sound. It doesn’t smoke and there is no knocking sound. I have changed the starter/generator and checked the adjusting bar nut that fastens it to the block and it’s not rubbing the front pulley. I just bought the tractor and didn’t know anything about it. Everything seems ok except the noise.

Bill G,
Personally I'd start with the PTO, then belts and on to the flywheel touchin the sheet metal and or maybe the drive shaft rubbin somethin, Just hunt and find, it's there.
happy.gif

Here is a curiosity question. Why do the steering worms have a hole in them? I keep mine well greased (probably too well). I have popped the steering wheel cap off and had grease coming out the top of the hollow shaft. The only reason I can think of would be to keep it from getting air-locked when you are pumping the grease in. It gives you a real good reason to make sure you have the cap on, especially if it sits outside at all.

Todd I've seen several gear box case's or housings cracked from water getting in them because of that same reason.

Bill,

When I changed a water pump on one of my cars I had a high pitched squealig belt due to the water pump gasket was the wrong thickness. I guess they gave me a gasket that was ment for a car w/o AC and I told them mine had AC, put the right gasket on and it went away; might be that your starter/generator is not lined up right... Wouldn't hurt to take a good look.

Tom that looks pretty cool but they should have used a set of pedal tractor wheels / tires on it to finish it off. The "slicks" just don't grip my fancy. I wonder how many gear drive NF Cub grills will be in backyards this summer ??? I mean after all that's all gear drives would be good for ... c'mon guys at least give me a running start
happy.gif

Ken,
HEY! What the...............

Bill "G",
Didja' check to se if the trash screen is loose and rubbing on the engine shroud??

Tom 7 minutes wasn't much of a head start !!
Remember I'm old !

Man that was weired !!
I was logging onto epay at the same time I was posting to Tom and what I posted showed up in my epay user name box ....

Latest posts

Back