• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 22, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
David S.
Check the thrower section on xtrememotorworks.
beerchug.gif

I laughed at the "going to fast" comment on the video......the ONLY way to make a QA42 throw like that is to feed it like that!!!!

Lots of HP and a new, tight belt!!!!!

My hotrodded QA 42 has an upper deflecor added and I have pushed snow over the top of it!!!!

I posted a couple weeks ago about my 'frozen' 1650 engine which turned out to be the PTO. Thanks everyone for your help with that.

Thinking this summer's project will be removing the grenade gears. Makes me nervous just thinking about those gears while running the QA36 at WOT. Will check the archives for removal advice.

Another thing. Wayne mentioned Bob Scott in a post on Feb 16, 2018 at 2:03 pm. Had the honor of meeting Bob nearly 20 years ago when I was looking nationwide for a good QA36 or 42. Flew to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and saw an ad of his somewhere. Hopped one of our flights (I work for an airline) up to Akron and saw Bob's vast collection. He had some mighty nice equipment. Couldn't quite strike a deal though he did give me a nice QA42A Operator's Manual which I still have. I hope he's doing well.

Did eventually find a QA36 an hour away in Buffalo. Only problem was...it came attached to another wide frame with an absolutely pristine mower deck. And I didn't need another Cub. And the owner wouldn't separate it out. So bought the whole mess and trucked it home. Gave the 1450 (I think it was) and deck to my best friend.

Mark S,

I believe most Kohlers in the Quietline series didn't have the grenade balance gears. I'm sure if I'm wrong, others will chime in and let us know.

Ron S and grenade gears: Man, I hope you're right. Hopefully I've been worrying for nothing.

Mark and Ron,

I think the “rule of thumb” is, if the dipstick goes in from the top, on the starter side of the engine, they don’t have balance gears. If the dipstick is in the cam cover, they can have balance gears. The dipstick that goes in the top, and all the way to the pan ( not the little stubby one tha has a dipstick in the cam cover to check the level) goes through the same place the gears go.

Not sure it’s a 100% thing, but fairly certain if it has a top dipstick on the higher horsepower engines, there’s not gears. I don’t think on the 10’s or possibly the 12’s didn’t have gears ever.......

The dipstick on a QL mounts to the side, IIRC, on the K321 and 341, and maybe the 301, and I've had a couple of those with balance gears.

Scott N the Kohler I’m rebuilding for my double stick 1450 has a vertical dip stick on the starter side and that engine HAD the gernade gears in it

It would be nice if someone had a "chart" that would show what years, and what HP engines had the grenade gears.
happy.gif

Marty-I’d think the only ones who may have that info would be at Kohler themselves or someone here that would have done some SERIOUS research,but I agree that would be sweet info to have...I think a data base of engine serial/tractor vins would be a cool thing to have here

I am going out on the limb here but I think all k series 12,14,16 hp with side dipstick had balance gears, and they ended with the quite line engines.

now blast away if im wrong, so I can learn lol

Jeff-I think your right,the grenade gears added to vibration dampening for the q/l tractor making them quieter.as you said...fire away fellas if we’re wrong

You guys sure make it tough to determine which Kohlers have balance gears and which don't. I had a 1978 Model 1450 and it didn't have balance gears. It had what's call a "shoulder mount" dipstick. The parts look up shows tractor serial number break 584059 and up had the shoulder mount style and you can't have balance gears because the dip stick inserts directly where the balance gears would be.

I also agree that if you have a cam cover dipstick there is a really good chance you will have balance gears. I believe the only engines that didn't have balance gears at one time or another is the 10hp. I believe 10hp always had the dipstick shoulder mount as well.

The real expert on balance gears is David Kirk. Maybe he will chime in and let us know.

Do any of the hoods interchange for example would a model 71 hood fit on a 100?

Those rattle gears are the reason I NEVER run my 149 up on the governor. Ever. I run it about 1/3-1/2 throttle for everything and it never grunts or struggles. Doesn't overheat either.

Timothy, The parts book says NO, o.

However, FWIW, the 71/102/122 & 123 interchange with each other.

I believe the 70/100 hoods have been reproduced. Check Extreme Motor Works (above) for details.

Latest posts

Back