• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Keith, have a look at this thread where forum member Jeremiah Chamberlin did a temporary repair on his 782 hydro trunion slot that could work as a permanent repair for you. Click on this LINK and scroll down and look for photos of the trunion.

Kraig...thanks. Certainly an interesting idea. Assuming any sort of non-welded but rather screw or nut/bolt attached plate would hold, I can see where it could be a reasonably permanent fix. I do think I'll work with the JB Weld first and see how it comes out. It'll be awhile (probably several months yet) till my 129 is ready to run again - still needs an engine. The guy who is doing this said it should be ready soon, which brings up another question. He mentioned that he had to find a 10-under rod - something about the rod that came with the (new) engine didn't fit. Why would that be the case? Wouldn't a new engine have come with all the internals that are perfectly matched? Anyway, he said the replacement rod is also new, so hopefully all will be well. The guy knows what he's doing with these old Cubs so will trust his judgment.

Keith, if you had a new engine why would anything need to be done to it??? If it's a "new used" engine the crank journal would have worn slightly so the rod would have to be under sized to make up for the wear. Or the new engine had a crank PTO end that was for a different application (aka wrong length or diameter) and he had to exchange it.
dunno.gif

While I have successfully used JB Weld for quite a few repairs, in this application I'm going to side with Dennis on the JB Weld and state that it's not likely to last very long. Nate didn't appear to indicate if he had done this. Looks to me like he only offered it as something to try. Nate?

Kraig, I checked with my brother regarding the rod situation I referred to, and am told that that the guy must be using a used or refurbished crankshaft which has had the rod journal turned down to a smaller diameter to eliminate imperfections. Thus the rod has to be ordered in the correct "undersize" to match up with the smaller diameter of the crank journal - all of which, of course, echoes what you just mentioned. I thought I was getting a "new" engine..so am still a bit confused. The guy had told me a few weeks ago there was an issue with the rod and that he had to get another one.

Thanks for more thoughts on the JB Weld. I'll still try it. If the tractor basically drives the way it has been that'll be fine. As mentioned previously, I want it primarily to do some mowing in open field areas next to my property. Bought a new tractor this past September but hate to subject it to the rougher terrain and tough weeds, etc. in this other area. If things don't work out well with this 129 engine project, then the whole thing - plus my deck, blade, etc. will all go for sale. Granted I'll never get a fraction of the money back I'm putting into this. I'm also going to be selling the old block, head, plus a few other items. It's ultimately a problem of being too sentimentally attached to the old thing...is the only tractor I've ever owned up until last year.

Justin, here's a few photos of the Original mower deck gauge wheels. I included a measurement for you. Note that one side of the wheel is recessed and one side is a little proud, which I believe is typical of a mower gauge wheel.

324860.jpg

324861.jpg

324862.jpg

324863.jpg

324864.jpg

324865.jpg

Kraig,
I did a forum search for the part number and I posted this on April 01, 2011. LOL

It measures exactly 4 7/8" wide.
PN/ IH-464521-R91
324867.jpg

Kraig- Have never tried JB weld for trunion just offered it as something to try. I would not even bother with new springs and caps if there is not at least an attempt to fix the trunion rectangle. I usually cut out the side and weld key stock back in to get to spec.

Speaking of rain.... has anyone talked to Kentuck? Hopefully he’s on high ground. Lake Cumberland and Cumberland Falls are both way high......

Still confused on this trunnion (tron shaft) problem. The guy who is working on putting together a new engine for me said that the tron shaft can be replaced without getting into the hydro and suggests this rather than welding the worn corners. Is he right? I'm thinking, from all I've heard here and and on another forum, that removing that shaft (part #SU3103181P) involves alot more than just removing the retaining snap and pulling the shaft through. I mean, if it was that easy, who would bother with the welding? Be alot easier to just replace the shaft.

Scott, KENtucky and I have been exchanging emails the past few days regarding the weather. Cumberland Falls has an amazing amount of water flowing over it.

Keith S,

The guy working on your engine is dead wrong regarding removal of the hydro pump trunnion arm. The only way to remove the arm on the 15U pump used in IH Cub Cadets is to disassemble the pump to get access to upper squash plate. You have to carefully follow the service manual instructions to do this plus you'll need new gaskets, seals and O-rings for reassembly.

Charlie, awww, it’s Little Steve B. back when he was little.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Ron,

Thanks. The job sounds like more than I want to get into right now. Guess this is why most people just weld while the shaft is attached to the tractor. My repair guy either must be misunderstanding what I referred to or else is confused with some other part.

Back