• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 21, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He turned 18 this Wednesday!!! And he's 6'1"!!!

Headed to Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville this fall for Manufacturing Engineering.....

He was 2 months old at plow day #1!!!

Wow! The kids were so little when we started.
a_blink2.gif

324874.jpg

324875.jpg

324876.jpg

Made my first trip ever to Florida to visit wife's sister.
Went the Florida Flywheelers show at Fort Mead as they were featuring IH.
They had a huge Cadet display. A cub displayed for each model produced with a placecard describing that model plus the cost. I think I counted 38 of them in that display plus a lot of others . Even had one with a snowthower on it from Michigan.
Sorry all my pictures are in my camera with no way to send them.
It is hot 87-89 here.

Timothy Deese,

I have an all original Model 70 that was bought new by my wife's uncle that has the big battery box. Some people have told me only the early 100's came with the big battery box.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Tim,

I read where IH used a higher amperage battery in the later 100's. It could have been a larger battery because of the higher amperage.

I'm guessing IH decided to upgrade to a larger box to accommodate a larger variety of batteries.

Timothy Deese,
Agree with Marty-Battery technology wasn't the best back when the 100s and 70s were produce.
The early 100's did not have a compression release in the engine. They had a 2 piece cam that would retard the timing to help with starting. They used a bigger battery with a smaller pulley on the starter-generator to help aid in starting the engine.

I have an early 100 that had the big battery and 2 piece cam. Starter would turn engine over to compression stroke and quit. Starting problems went away when I replaced cam with a cam that had a compression release.

Meanwhile in Iowa...
I think they call this "winter wheat"!!

WE were lucky yesterday, the 149/loader was able to get under the ice coating the uphill driveway to Les' house!

324885.png

Well it's time to get my gas cans organized and I think I want to finally switch from garage sale red plastic cans to all metal. The plastic ones swell and shrink out in the pole barn all year and sometimes sit unattended for weeks in the hot summer. At about $70 for a new red 5 gallon metal can I have to be selective. I think I'll go with the type 2 can and would like the 1" OD nozzle, but perhaps the 5/8" nozzle would work best for other gas tanks. I'm not sure what size filler hole the IH cub cadets have and I also have a Farmall Cub. I was told cars have a 13/16" hole. The two leading companies are about the same price and I am leaning toward the one without the yellow plastic handle. Used metal cans are hard to come by at auctions and bring high prices like a used dump trailer or 26 pound IH wheel weights! Anything else I should consider?

With metal cans you deal with rust. Especially used old ones....new ones are probably much better.

I put replacement nozzles/ fillers on 5 or 6 gallon plastic cans and drill them for the yellow plastic vents. Work great and no rust.

Know they swell sometimes, but at least the light hydrocarbons aren't all evaporating and causing the gas to go bad.

Back