• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Moore
Here is a picture of the standard tire slant on all Quietlines. Doesn't look that good but I've never seen a tire with unusual wear and after 30 years who can argue with IH design.

15990.jpg

Welcome again Dave. I'm only 20 minutes from you. I have a HD loader set up on mine and have found it very useful. Would like to see yours some time. Enjoy the forum. Lot's of information and helpful people here.

Tedd-
Camber, negative camber is where the tops of the tires lean in. Think of it as "negative" because the more the tires lean in a the top the more effort it'll take to turn which can be a negative.

Caster is the fore-aft inclination of the steering kingpin. More caster and the wheels will have a more "on center" feel when driving straight, however more camber and the steering effort gets greater.

Ackerman is a little tricky to explain, but basically it's the action where an outside wheel doesn't turn as sharp as an inside wheel. It has to do with the turning angles of the wheels in relationship to the center of the rear axle. Varying this changes the amount of "push" tires will face when turning. On an automobile having too little ackerman will make the car feel like it's running tight, having too much will make it feel like it's loose.

Thinking of building a garden tractor with front suspension? Helped design & build one in '99
happy.gif

Tedd-
Want your brain to really hurt? I've got a rear suspension design for my race car using a T-bird rear suspension (that I picked up for $200) that has "active toe" adjustable through an offset bushing from a Ford 4wd twin traction beam front suspension. Now if only I had that stash of crome-moly tubing and an endless supply of Aurora spherical bearings.

Welcome Dave. Hope you enjoy the forum. Hardly a day goes by that i don't learn something new.
Had about two feet of white stuff fall from Thurs till Fri. Lots of cleaning up to do.My brother in law noticed the three foot drifts in my driveway and offered to clean it up with his JD farm tractor. I think not. The 782 and QA42 were up to the challenge.{782deepsnow2}

By the way, i wish snow mobiles were made as tough as IH Cub Cadets were. Seems like there's always something wrong with these things. Have a great day everyone.
15994.jpg

Robby D-
You wanted an update on the wheatland?

Here's the heart, fresh from cleaning yesterday. Looks sorta ugly but with a quick steel brushing and a little wipedown with acetone, it'll be ready for a trip to Kious Kountry for a shot of IH red.
15996.jpg

Wyatt,

WOW that was a whole lot more that I thought to suspention set up!! I was just trying to use the right trem for what Jack was asking. Camber.. I will have to write all this down.
No I'm not going to make a new suspension for Foxtrot. But I will be makeing one of the sorts for the rear. More to come later on that. Ackermen angles?!?! Man I have a head ackerman.
crazy.gif
Isn't that what they do to London taxi's??

Steve,
Thank you for correcting me.

(Message edited by till on February 21, 2004)

Hi All!

Learning to post pictures...
Here's the first-of-a-series of a driveline upgrade I did on my 109...
15998.jpg

Wow- that worked slick! Here's the rest;

Pin receptacle's worn, noisy, and busting pins (the reason why I got the 109 for FREE!) This is not a great design. I'll improve it... move the rag joint up front!

16000.jpg

Hmm...too tall that way. I'll make it shorter!

16001.jpg

That's better

16002.jpg
16003.jpg

Great! Now... what to do about the other end. Gee- that fan does a nice job cooling the RAG JOINT, doesn't it? Let's change that with something better;

16004.jpg

I don't really care for roll-pins... something about swinging hammers in close-quarters makes my thumbs hurt!

16005.jpg

THIS is more like it! it's made by SKF, and the whole joint assembly is about $22.

Dave,

You could have just used QL parts, they incorporate rage joints at each end. BTW, nice machine work.

Hi Steve!

Yeah, I could have. At that time, I'd owned a Cub Cadet for about two days, and couldn't tell a QL from an SG, narrow frame, or original... and I still haven't figured out how to identify which ones used which muffler bearings, what blinker-fluid to use...

But I did have machine tools handy. Somewhere in that period, Keith showed me his fleet... his Briggs Vanguard driveline used a 1" diameter SGT shaft, (according to my torque and whip calcs wasn't necessary) but it solved coupling problems in his arrangement. My spare parts pile wasn't well stocked, so I used what I had available. Life's more of a challenge at 3AM!

One of the biggest reasons why I went to the U-joint in the rear was because the fan diameter wasn't much bigger than the rag joint that was ~2" away. Not very efficient. By swapping it out with the u-joint, about 3/4ths of the rag-joint's shrouding disappears, so airflow over the hydro improves. The hydro may, or may not be such a thermal problem, but either way, mine runs cooler now.

Here's pictures of other aspects of my project

The super-strength knuckles- 1/2" 1020 plate on top, spindle face, and bottom, with 1/4" 1020 plate closing front and back. Spindle is a 2000lb unit, with standard 5-lug pattern.
16009.jpg

16010.jpg

16011.jpg

Here's the hydraulic steering valve, temporarily positioned where I'll soon have a bracket holding it.
16012.jpg

Here's an offset rear-brace arrangement for the QL iso-mount rails. Front will be braced by a bracket holding a hydraulic pump.
16013.jpg

Question on the narrow frame 3pt. I got one for my 123 and was wondering what this piece is for. This is not mine, just wondering if I need it? It looks to me that the cast part gets placed in the frame with a long pin.
16008.jpg

PSA
I know that a lot of us deal with eBay, some more than others. I received an authentic appearing email stating that my eBay account info needed to be verified before I could access eBay again, and it asked me to enter my user ID and password in the email. WRONG! I went to eBay (NOT via the email, but by typing in eBay's address in the browser), forwarded it as ebay asks you to do, and changed my password immediately. I also checked my account on eBay and PayPal, and there hadn't been any weird activity. I feel pretty lucky right now.
I don't know if this is a mass mail thing or not, I'm just kind of warning people to be careful if they get something like this.

Jeff R.,
That bracket was only required on the 1X6,7 models since the rear of the frame was different than the 1X2,3,4,5 models.

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brad Lyons, I live in virginia, IL,45 miles west of springfield. I have had cubs all my life, but I am just now getting started in collecting them. Hope to get to know all of you.Brad Lyons

Latest posts

Back