• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 19, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack..Good question. I've had the same thought.BTW..I haven't forgotten about the pics for you.Lot of long days at work and battling the cold...BRRR.

only the way is what you just posted.

you can go down to the plow day anoucment threads and see if there iswas an event near you.

Steve H.-

Have you checked to make sure that when the ignition switch is off, the terminal on the relay that grounds the mag is connected to ground, and that it is open when the ignition is on? Either that, or the only other thing I can think of is that the kill wire for the mag has some insulation chafed off, and it's grounding somewhere. If you disconnect the kill wire from the mag, do you have spark? (Remove both spark plugs so the tractor can't start)

I've also found that those magnetos are happiest at the low end of the gap range. That probably isn't the problem, but just a thought if all else fails.

Evening Gentlemen
I have to replace the drive gear assembly (thanks Charlie) on my snow thrower because the old one was chewed up by the chain.
My questions are:
1. What caused the gear to get chewed up, too loose chain, too tight chain (had both this season) or just working it hard (getting hammered in New England this season)?
2. What is the correct way to set the chain adjustment?
3. Is there a lube I should be using on the chain and sprockets
Thanks in advance,
Rich W.

Richard,
question 1. all of what you mentioned in addition to a streched/worn chain.

question 2. it should be slightly taught but not tight

question 3. chain lube will work but everyones got there choice

go down to the manual and get the one for your thrower, all of the info is there.
wink.gif

Thanks Jeff, I did a search and found little on adjusting. I completely forgot about the manual.

After looking at the manual I did not find any listing for a chain lube. Is there something you have used?

Now a 2 Cub family. I picked up a 149 with QA42
a snowthrower to go along with my original. Not sure about this purchase. May not have been a good idea. Since bringing the new cub home it has snowed twice.John near KC

Steve H.

Completely unplug the mag from the wiring harness, then wiggle the wire at the blower housing to make sure it's not pinched.

Crank it over and check for spark and/or try to start it with the mag unplugged.......if you have spark or it runs you have a kill circuit wiring issue, if it doesn't, you have a mag issue. If it starts, just choke it to death......

The mag will work acceptably at any reasonable gap setting, if you're in the spec, you'll make a spark.

Mags HATE having voltage applied to the kill wire. Check for 12v on the kill wire from the engine harness....if you have 12V, you have an issue, and you may have killed the mag, requiring $75 and pulling the motor.

Big thing to remember is that mags work on the "no voltage to run, ground to kill" principle.......it should NEVER see 12V EVER, and be grounded to kill the spark.

Once you unplug the mag from the harness it will become very clear where the problem lies....best of luck trouble shooting.

Richard, first I am not a thrower guy but I like a graphite base spray on chains lube but just about any hardware store chain lube will do.

John the 149 with a qa42 is the perfect combo...good decision

Jeff B, Dave S, and Josh S - The doors are always open and the pot of coffee could be ready with short notice! In fact, the doors are open a little too much with overflow! Cub Cadets are like rabbits, you only need 2 of them - and before too long....
bouncy.gif

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Back