• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 18, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<font color="ffffff">. . . .</font>
15962.gif
<font color="ffffff">. . . . . . . . . . . . . .</font>
15963.gif

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on February 20, 2004)

Steve S-
Don't let them get you down. You may be OK. The problem is that the balance gears run on stub shafts in the block, when these stub shafts get slightly worn, or the bores in the gears themselves do, they tend to "exit engine left" taking the cam and connecting rod with them. Kohler engines get rebuilt all the time with them and only a handful go BOOM. As you're assembling them into the engine, feel how much play they have on the shaft, if it doesn't feel like a precision fit, don't use them.

Wyatt, thanks for the balance gear info.

Anyone care to offer any opinions on any real benefit they actually provide?

Kraig-
Dave Kirk had an excellent explanation, but I believe the principle is the two gears in time one to counteract the side-side imbalance of the crankshaft counterweights and another to a lesser extent counteracting the vertical movements of the rotating assembly.

I guess it's also worth noting (though I haven't seen an engine without them) that the balance gears were omitted in at least some if not all production engines in the mid-late '70's. I don't know if the Magnum update of the K-series uses them.

Kraig - The Balance gears helped Kohler sell more new Shortblocks when they were still avail. ;-) Back in Sept. of '81 I bought a new K-241 from the Sales Manager @ Kohler who Handled the IH account. He sold it to Me at IH's price. A complete engine less gas tank & S/G was right at $300. I remember the Guy telling Me to take the engine apart before buying the rebuild parts if We ever had to rebuild it. He said it may have really been a short stroke 14 HP. We've never had the head or pan off the engine yet so Dad & I really don't know!

Wyatt,

The 1210 I had a few year ago had a M12 with balance gears.

Thanks for the advice Wyatt. I put the top gear in the other night and it seemed ok. The needle bearings look to also be in good shape and I replaced the shims that were there from the original build. Got the end play to .007. I think it should be fine but if it does launch at some point, I guess I know where to go to find another rebuildable block + shipping. I'd be interested to know if my K-321 replacement engine on my other 147 has them in there or not. The engine that I'm working on right now is intended for my loader so it's not going to be spending extended periods of time at 3600. Let you know how I make out.

Steve

I just wanted to post a anouncment for The IH Spring Round UP for anyone that did not about it.

It is being put on by Ohio Chapter 6, Indiana Chapter 7, Centeral IL Chapter 10, and Michigan chapter 11.

It is being hosted by the National Automotive Truck Museum of the United States and Maumee Valley Tractor Club.

It is being held indoors at the Kruse Auction Park in Auburn IN. (about 20 miles north of Ft Wayne). They have a lot of huge buildings up there and it is were the big 5 day Car Auction is held each year. I talked to the guy in charge of the IH vendors the other day and he said he thinks it is going to be quite a bit bigger then they were expecting. It is all IH at the show. Tractors, Cub Cadets, Trucks, etc. There are suposed to be a lot of parts vendors also.

The show site is about 3 miles from the National Truck museum were there are lots of neet old trucks, several IHs. Right beside the truck museum is the Famous Auburn, Cord, Dusenburg Museum. It is the home of some of the nicest vintage cars in the world. They also have other brands on display, last time I was there they had the Proto type IH scout that was built in 1980 and was to be the next serries of Scout is pretty cool.

THE DATES ARE MARCH 19, 20, 21, 2004 AUBURN IN.

Hours are 9 to 6 Fri. and Sat., and 9 till 4 on Sun.

OTHER EVENTS HELD AT THE SHOW:
Swap meet, Toy show, Craft show, Workshops, Friday evening IH Auction, Saturday evening Banquet, Sunday all brand Toy/Memorabilia Auction.

HOTELS IN THE AREA:

Holiday Inn express (special IH rate) $60.00 per night. (260) 925-1900

LA Quinta (260) 920-1900

FOR INFO CONTACT: Chuck Heck general info. (812) 926-3654. Jim Hill Banquet and registration (937) 778-8281. Darius Harms IH Auction (217) 694-4132. IH Vendors Duane Rushlo (989) 872-2549, or Dick Alberts (616) 887-5267

This should be a great indoor IH show, with many other events. Hope to see alot of you there. Let me know if you need any more Info that is not provided here.

Thanks, Scott CCC

Snow!!

bring it on... someone musta been prayin'...
your_image.gif

On the Cub with the smile face, has anyone seen one of the real 123 Tiger Cubs that IH used at the fairs to promote the new Hydrostatic, they were painted with tiger stripes, and a face on the grill, with ears. Then they preformed by doing wheelies etc at the fairs. I have a pic of one but have not seen a real one, but that face reminded me of them.

Snow!!

your_image.gif

Snow!!

why it didn't work, before?

15967.jpg

HELP

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the size and spline count is for the steering shaft. I bought a fancy steering wheel but I need to get the hub. I was going to hack the hub off an exsisting wheel, but decided against it.

I know that the nut is 5/8" fine
Thanks,

Jon

(Message edited by jluckey on February 20, 2004)

On the balance gear thing, I always replace both stub shafts (in the block) and needle roller bearings (in the balance gears)anytime I'm doing an overhaul. While the engine is apart, the extra work and expense is worth it. The balance gears do help cancel unresolved primary force, but how much they contribute is something I've wanted to figure out and post. Somebody please send me one?

Charlie,

What is the size of the splined part of the shaft. This is the measurement I am going to need to figure out which adapter kit I need.

Thanks for the 40 count

Threw a rod in the 104. Decided the engine wouldn't look right all painted up with a dirty tractor. Doing the whole dang thing now! The Sandblaster we had was amazing to say the least. We did the whole tractor in 15 minutes, minue the rims, and behind them.

15969.jpg

15970.jpg

15971.jpg

Latest posts

Back