• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 17, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I thought the Mac bulldog was a nice touch!
biggrin.gif

Charlie, I didn’t notice that when I first looked. Good eye.

Hydro, et al,

What’s really amazing is that little IH shop mule survived Japan's bombings and torpedo attacks on the USS Hornet and rode it all the way down 17500 ft, never leaving it’s assigned duty station! To the brave US sailors souls lost that fateful day on the USS Hornet, we salute you and thank you for your ultimate sacrifice and service to our country. RIP.

Does anyone (Steve B., Denny F.) know what model IH that is that's on the USS Hornet? I thought it might be based on the W4 / I4 but the placement of some engine items doesn't match up.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig,

That is a Hebard shop mule that uses either an "A"/"C" or "H" power unit. Hubbard bought the power units and then added them to an industrial chassis (similar to a airport tug these days).

Power units came in all sizes from the little C60 Cub engine to the giant TD24 engine.

Notice the decals say "International Harvester Power"

Here is a larger IH power unit on a cable operated pipe bender, bending 24" diameter .250" wall steel pipe near Peoria, IL in 1960.

324848.jpg

Robert C,

It is not all that difficult to redo a steering column. You can do it.
thumbsup.gif

We will help you with any questions you may have.

The 128 was my first cub too.
And also, WELCOME to the forum!
WELCOME.gif

I think there is a steering column rebuild in the Faqs

On Cub 1250 - I'm having an electrical problem. Replaced positive battery cable and detached wiring harness to coil/starter. When I try to start the motor does not turn over and I get small amount of smoke from below gas tank shield, possibly the stator?

Hello guys,
I’m currently making my ‘parts list’ for my cub cadet original with the 38 inch mow deck. And I am needed advice on which mow deck wheels I need. It doesn’t have to be original, most importantly something that will last since I plan on using the cub to cut the grass!
Thanks for the help!

Trunnion question....I'm planning on getting new springs and end caps while I have the transaxle out of the tractor but noticed that the corners are really badly worn. I don't have welding facility and so is there any other way to repair this? I suppose the part that needs the welding isn't removable from the trans? If it would come off, I could easily take it to my brother who could fix this.

Just noticed...in this link http://cubfaq.com/trunionrepair.html it shows pictures of the piece that requires welding as being removed from the trans. So...does this come off easily?

Art/Kraig, thank you guys so much for the help with the cub original box. i am absolutely excited seeing this. much, much appreciated. this is going to help me greatly on my quest. I cant thank you 2 enough. Also, thanks for the assembly line video charlie!

Keith, I believe the outer parts come off fairly easy, just a ring clip, but the part that requires welding is a bit harder to remove. I could be wrong but I believe you have to disassemble the Hydro pump to remove it. Why not just load up the rear end and haul it too your brother? If you have a trailer it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Justin, the gauge wheels on the 38" timed deck are rather small, like only 4" or 5" (about the same diameter as the cogged blade pulleys). I'd measure the deck wheels on mine but they are in a box up in the rafters of my shed... Here's some info and a photo from the Operator's Manual for reference.

324853.jpg

324854.jpg

Kraig—
Ok. So, 4-5 inch diameter wheel. When I bought this cub it actually came with the manuals, but I was trying to find the correct diameter wheel. Thanks for your help.

Justin, for a better estimate, measure one of the cogged pulleys. Note that in the photo I posted they nearly match the gauge wheel size. Or if you can wait a few days I'll try to measure one of mine. Big snowstorm today. I'll be clearing snow at my home and at my mom's farm for several hours this evening.

Back