• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 17, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbdavis

displayname
Terry Davis
Question - replacing front (flywheel side) oil seal on a k301 and according to the manual (if I'm reading it correctly) the seal is to be seated 1/2 inch in the bearing plate. Problem is - after seating it about a 1/4 inch or so I'm bumping up against the main bearing in the plate. Not sure what the deal is? Also, as far as I know the motor is a K301 and not a K301A but frankly I can't recall if the bearing plate came off this particular motor. I'm tempted to just seat it an 1/8th or so but just not sure. Thanks

TERRY: Here's one as removed from a K301:

283804.jpg

283805.jpg

The seal is recessed a bit and the bearing isn't flush.
help.gif
happy.gif
cool.gif

Frank - the bearing on mine sticks out a hair as well. Can't tell for sure from the pic but how deep ya reckon the seal is in? Seems like as long as the seal rides correctly on the crank and is far enough away from the bearing to let oil back in I should be fine?

This seal is just about 1/4 inch thick, which leaves plenty of room before it comes up against the bearing. I pulled it with a seal puller and in doing so scarred the housing which will have to be smoothed down before installing another seal.
1a_scratchhead.gif

283808.jpg
happy.gif

This is the seal puller I used:

283811.jpg

Story: I've had this for ages and until I got involved with these "Just a Tractor"s I'd forgotten what it was for!
happy.gif

Hey a Frank - that looks like a great tool! Just pulled mine out and jacked mine up too in the process. I'm gonna pop a new one in and just not jam it all the way in. Maybe the old seals were thinner and went in further - who knows. Any idea on a replacement seal number? Would like to put this thing back together today if possible. BTW - that's some serious snow you got up there! Thanks

FRANK, TERRY - Most replacement seals now days have a sealant sprayed on the outside sealing surface of the seal. I always wipe a thin layer of more sealant on the OD as well, either RTV or Hylomar just in case there's a nick or something on the bore the seal presses into.

I typically use a wide flat board like a 1X4 to cover the seal while I carefully tap it in place. Easy to get them flush that way. And the open side of the seal almost always goes toward the oil. Just make sure the lip of the seal faces the oil.

I can tell ya this one is a Victor # 46478. Good luck finding one on President's Day.
happy.gif

Snow, cold, and wind. Relief in a couple more days. Good morning, Dennis.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hydro, yes, that photo was taken in Massachusetts and is one that Jim Chabot had posted here years ago.

Regarding the "x" used in the 1x4/5, 1x6/7 and so on, it has been used for years here as a description of the various series. I also use it here with the QA series of snowthrowers. Rather than typing out "QA36 and QA42", a simple QAxx can be used unless I am posting about a specific model then I use a simple QA42 or 149 for example. I use this quite frequently. Sorry for the confusion to anyone, however, an x has been used elsewhere for ages to designate a variable. I don't think it lends itself to snobbery it's like any other industry, hobby or interest certain acronyms or shorthands develop. I suppose it would help if I/we were to consistently add "Series" behind it (and I often do) like when referring to the Quiet Line Series (aka QL) or the 82 Series. While I'm typing here I may as well point out that we commonly use NF for Narrow Frame which include the "70/100", the "71, 1x2/3 Series", the "72, 1x4/5 Series" and the "73, 1x6/7 Series" And we use WF for Wide Frame which includes the "86, 1x8/9 Series" and the "Quiet Line Series" the Spread Frame would be the "82 Series" on into the non-IH built units. The shortcut that bugs me is the use of "O" to designate the Original.
happy.gif

I always used a slide hammer dent remover w/a sheet metal screw. That way no chance of scarring the bore.

Or in a pinch, Ya could poke a couple of holes hole in the seal for a screw and use a claw hammer.
Just my $.02 worth.

morning, does anybody have rough dimensions and stroke length of hydraulic cylinder for cub cadet 125, I got pump but do not have cylinder,tks

Kraig,
I'd bet the acronyms of "Zig Zag's", "Quiet Line's", "82 series" and even the "Original's" were started right here. Who else would have considered giving a little lawn and garden tractor a name?

On the "XX'ing of model types, it's kinda' like when you get your credit card receipt at the register. It will allways look like XXXX XXXX XXXX 1234. Most of the time the "X" is irrelevant to the question i.e. "What direction do I mount my seat springs on my 128?" or "What is the correct location for the hood decal on a 122?" Doesn't matter they were all the same, <u>unless</u> you are looking for a specific thing.

KRAIG - Years ago The Reverend severely scoulded me about refering to a 1961 to 1963 Cub Cadet as an "O", or "CCO"... so now I almost always describe them as "1961 to 1963 Cub Cadets".

You go back in the archives, and maybe a dozen times in the last 2-3 yrs I have refered to them as an "O". Guess I should stop that.

FRANK, DAVE S. - For the crankshaft seals in a Kohler, I just use a small punch from the back side of the seal, and make sure I get the punch down into the recess of the back side of the seal. Couple light taps on alternate sides and it pops right out. I've never had to replace them except on a complete tear-down and rebuild.

Miller tire list the 23x10.50x12 Firestone Flotation 23 as being made in U.S.A. I just have Carlisle Trupowers on my stuff caus they were cheaper. They have held up well unlike the cheap Slime valve stems I bought at Walmart. We have Flotation 23s on a ot blue farm tractor that are loaded with CaCl, and it seams to be unstopable, their about 10 years old and look brand new.

The few 782s I've seen around here have all had the paneled low back seats.

The International Harvester Cub Cadet. Just not quite enough information given here, now that its no longer the spring of 1961. I can see why the IH Cub Cadet became better known as the Original
cubwinker.gif

original- a pristine form or primary type that has given rise to varieties.

Hate to say it, but from the pictures I have, are of the 782 with the high back seat, same as what is being pictured on the 982 models. All the other 82 Series: 482, 582, 582 Special, and the 682 are pictured with the six pad seat. At least that's what I'm seeing in Ken's book: <u>Farmall Cub & Cub Cadet</u>

Keith O - I didn't see anyone chime in on your question about the spark plug gap. I had the same question/issue when I got my first 1450. Seems IH always recommended .025 and Kohler more often recommended .035. I was always told just split the difference and use .030.

Kraig - why is it that using "O" bugs you? I actually wonder when the term "Original" began being used. Was it on here? Really don't think so. By the time this site and the internet started the 61-63 Cub Cadet had been around for 30+ years. My guess is it just started wtih general discussions sometime after the 70/100 series came out. You couldn't just refer to it as a Cub Cadet since the 70/100's were also Cub Cadets - so people had to have a reference to refer to them. If I owned one and called the dealer for a part, and he asked me what model I had, what would I say? Might say the "Early" one, or the "First" one. After a few model years this becomes harder to recognize and the term "Original" becomes more appropriate. I would suspect the IH Dealer org probably would have come up with the "Original" term. As far as I know it never was used in any IH publications, literature, bulletins, parts books, etc. And as for using "O" or "CCO", well it's basically like you said for the other models, it makes typing the name easier, shorter, and just sort of gets picked up on by everyone involved.

Now, my 2cents on the seat stuff. I believe the 782 was always supposed to have the high back but originally was produced with the mid-back, and some of the early literature shows it with a mid-back (which someone referred to as a low back). Some of the later literature shows the high back as being a standard feature on the list of specifications but shows a picture of a 782 with a mid-back. I'll be glad to send anyone a copy of the literature where it references the high back deluxe seat as a standard feature and shows a separate picture of just the seat under the 782 section, but then it shows a picture of the complete 782 tractor with a mid-back seat.

Hydro, no good reason why it bugs me, it just does. "OCC" bugs me too. First I heard of an Original was on this website back in 1998.

Back