• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 17, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie -

Did you check this out in the OPEI history section???

January 1964: With cooperation from the US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, created first safety video, "Mowing Lesson for Charlie."

I dint see that one Bryan,
Been kinda busy this morning, First thawing day here in 14 weeks and the roof decided to deposit a 4 foot high wall in front of the garage door!
It was kinda nice throwin snow with my sleeves rolled up and no snowmobile suit!!!
15918.jpg

Charlie, if you plan on standing under that you may wish that you had put the snowmobile suit on! A snowmobile helmet might also be a good idea. :eek:p

Doug, I have not seen Hubcaps on a 149, is that regulation.

I am getting a real education on Stickers, we might not need paint!

After seeing Doug's photo of his 149. I can finnally asked this question and keep it on topic. Why are ag/bar lug tire mounted on backwards when not on drive wheels? I've noticed this on equipment like grain trailers and other implements.

Tim-
Typically tires are mounted backwards on non-driving wheels so that they tend to center themselves in loose ground and tend not to wander as much. Bar lug tires are mounted on driving wheels as they are so as the tire would spin, loose material is channeled out from under the tires' contact patch. Some folks put them backwards on the fronts of Cubs if the camber is such that in a turn the wheels tend to have positive camber (i.e. when turning the tops of the tires lean out). In that case the bar lugs are only contacting on the part of the tread so that the tire tends not to turn well.

I run a MTD front axle, the "SuperSteer" front axle as it's known. The kingpin angle on this axle makes the tires have a full contact patch in turning so when I run bar lug front tires I don't notice any decrease in steering ability whatsoever.

Thanks Wyatt,
I understand now about the trailering tires. What advantage would the ag tire have over a triple rib in steering?

Tim-
Depending on the goal, mostly looks. I tend to like them because they grip well but don't sink into the ground as much, for moldboard plowing both work well for me. In snow I like a tri-rib. For tilling I like a bar lug because it floats reasonably well and it steers well. I even have a set of Carlisle TurfMasters (like a Titan Turf-Trac CS) that do suprisingly well for a turf tire.

And if you're wondering now; yes, I have too many tires for ONE tractor.
happy.gif

your_image.gif
Kraig, The canopy had a rearward rake to it, so I shimmed it up with a pc of 1x1 tube steel. My brother bought the windbreaker with a blade a few years ago and used it one season, but did'nt like it. He complained about his hand hitting the support when raising and lowering the blade. I install it for "fun" allthough I have plowed snow when the wet snow is falling and I stay fairly dry. The wieghts are JD (they were free) but I bondoed in the deer and painted them black. The snowmoblie is a 1986 Yamaha Phazer Deluxe. Not much suspension, but is a fun machine to blast around on. Hopefully the pic of the rear of my 125 will post this time.

your_image.gif
Kraig, The canopy had a rearward rake to it, so I shimmed it up with a pc of 1x1 tube steel. My brother bought the windbreaker with a blade a few years ago and used it one season, but did'nt like it. He complained about his hand hitting the support when raising and lowering the blade. I install it for "fun" allthough I have plowed snow when the wet snow is falling and I stay fairly dry. The wieghts are JD (they were free) but I bondoed in the deer and painted them black. The snowmoblie is a 1986 Yamaha Phazer Deluxe. Not much suspension, but is a fun machine to blast around on.

Tim,

They also tend to clean themselves better.....less packed mud etc.

Kraig, The canopy had a rearward rake to it, so I shimmed it up with a pc of 1x1 tube steel. My brother bought the windbreaker with a blade a few years ago and used it one season, but did'nt like it. He complained about his hand hitting the support when raising and lowering the blade. I install it for "fun" allthough I have plowed snow when the wet snow is falling and I stay fairly dry. The wieghts are JD (they were free) but I bondoed in the deer and painted them black. The snowmoblie is a 1986 Yamaha Phazer Deluxe. Not much suspension, but is a fun machine to blast around on. I'll take another pic of the rear of the 125 tonite. I just tried to post one, but it said it is larger than the size allowed by the forum.

Can someone offer advice. I am fairly new at working with computers, but this is getting ridiculous. I can not seem to post pix properly. I e-mail pix all over the country weekly for my job, and never have trouble. Thanks, Paul

Paul, you were able to get one photo to post. Many people seem to freak out when they see the "I goofed" image during the preview stage. That image is normal, go the next step and you'll be prompted to select the file to upload. Now if your image is too large you'll have to reduce the size with one of the many programs that allow resizing. Shoot for 49KB. <font size="-2">The lift handle on that Yamaha looks just like the one on the Arctic Cat 'Prowler" style chassis.</font>

Wyatt, which direction did you have the front tires mounted on the 169 at PDV4? They look like they are the same orientation as the rear tires but it's hard to tell with all that wet Illinois soil on 'em.
15923.jpg

Kraig-
I always mount my tires the same direction as the rears . . . . . hence the mud buildup. Then again on that particular evening everyhting was packed with mud.

That 169 looks pretty mean in that picture!

i thought those triangle shape decal or OPEI DECAL that was year built MODEL CONFORMS TO SAFTY STANDARDS 1974 but than again that would be why they had so many.A new one for every year safty standard that change.

Just got the ADSL service up and running here at home......WOW!!!!! INSTANT access to my favorite web page!!!!!

Also downloaded the basic Zonealarm firewall in addition to the built-in XP version I was running......router is supposed to block hacking like a pseudo firewall, but WTH, belt and suspenders is OK too.

Actually, It's been a good week from the techie side of things......new Dell laptop at work with wireless LAN, docking station, etc.; ADSL at home; and a new Dell Axiom handheld on order at work.....so much new stuff to get use to I'll be behind for weeks just trying to figure it all out!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
(Not that I'm complaining!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

Snow's almost gone around here, piles are melting fast. I keep looking for my long lost skid foot to show up in a melting pile of snow, but I'd bet that one is lost for good......it was junk anyway, but might not be great on the 44A this spring.

Back