• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 16, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drglinski

displayname
Daniel Glinski
Seat talk: I've got a "quiet line" 6 pad seat on my 147 and it not only looks great it feels great. I never like the look of the original ones that came on 1X6/7 series.

Hi friends, I have a question regarding a spring assist lift. Next weekend I am going to look at a 127 that seems to be in pretty good shape. I currently have a 105 that is in mediocre shape. My intent is to replace the 105 with the better 127. My 105 currently has the rear lift assembly and the spring assist (IH type) for use with my 1A tiller. I have been looking to transfer over my good stuff from the 105, tiller and all operating assemblies, front snow blade, etc. From what I have seen here online, the spring assist will transfer from the 105 to the 127 but the rear mounting is a little different. Is that the case? Do I need to find or make a different bracket to attach the spring under the seat somewhere? On the 105, it seems to mount to the rear sheetmetal on the left side fender, I think. Any thoughts?

kevin I am a wide frame guy, hang in there someone will answer but I do believe 105 and 127 should swap back and forth.

Yes the spring assist will fit, last year I installed a spring assist from a 126 onto my 125, no problems, was a little disappointed at how heavy that #1 tiller was even with spring assist,

Kevin J - to transfer the rear lift from the 105 to the 127 you'll also need the frame bracket that is specific to the 1x6/7 series tractors. (Also - make sure that 127 has a decent wiring harness on it. The 1x6/7 series had a known problem with the harnesses breaking down quickly and failing).

First, thanks for the seat pics! Second, educate me some more. I don't understand why a 127 is also called a 1x6/7. I see that second designation (1x6/7) and others, similar, used throughout this site. What does it refur to?

Michael P. Horozko

I for one hate it when some people on here that X . It sure don`t help new members to use the x . maybe now they will see how there actions affect new member's and Call it like it should be called . My .02

Michael- This designates the tractor series. Take a 126 and a 127. They are basically the same 12 hp tractor except one is a gear drive and one is a hydro. The 106 and 107 is the same set up except they are 10 hp. Thus the 1X6/7 designation. A 1X4/5 would be a 104, 105, 124, or 125, etc. Hope that helps. I too prefer spelling out the model in question although I can see using the 1X/ speeds up getting a point across when making a reference to a specific series.

well it does speed it up for only a few guys on here that know what you explained > maybe this is some of the snob designated that we hear we are getting . IF Short cuts do cause confusion : then why do it ? I don`t and never have for that reason. Ok 107/127/147 is that 1x7 does not mean the same ? I see some problems with that. Off the soap box !

I have two different operator manuals for my 1650 and both say .025 for the spark plug gap. Why do I keep finding people that say .035 is the right gap? Which is right?

Kevin

You should be able to do a swap no problem. I concur about having to get the special bracket for the 127. That should be the only difference making the transfer. A Narrow Frame IH spring assist will fit a 1X4/5 series exactly the same as a 1X6/7. Hope this helps.

sorry guys my feelings are in-favor of 1x8,9 just for the shortness of it,
or 108,109,128,129,149,169

More thoughts on tires:

The more I think about the recent tire debate, the more I think we have been comparing apples to oranges all along.

A pulling track is a far cry from a soybean field (plow day). How a tire responds to a groomed, packed, clay track cannot be directly compared to the performance in loose/sun baked/trash laden soil. Tires can easily be compared "side by side" on the pulling track, but what works under those conditions may not be the same animal out in the field, especially when you consider the 13" hitch height and controlled pulling geometry of a pull, not something that remains consistent in the field.

All of that said; Side by side comparisons are the only "hard" data we have to evaluate, as plow days offer way too many variables.

Firestone 23 deg tires are a favorite for many, and with good reason.....the design has a stellar reputation in the big farm field and on the track. However; many of the new "metric" farm tires imitate the Tru-Power type design, and they work well also.

"Purpose" may be more important on a GT. While I have never tried it, I doubt "Pit Bull" or Cepek pulling tires would be a big hit at plow day......just like Tru-Powers are not the favorite on the track. The specialty pulling tires, designed to spin fast and take controlled little bites of a packed clay track, don't perform the same in the field because there is no nice track to chop up into little bites, just trash to bridge the lugs, and occasionally mud to pack them full....purpose, purpose, purpose.......

My personal opinion on tires for a real world GT has more to do with weight than anything else. I have found it VERY difficult to put enough weight on a GT to make any decent tire "fail" to perform...they all eventually give up traction due to the weight limitations, and rapidly shifting weight distribution on a GT. Without the pulling hitch height adding to the tractive effort, and factoring in the loose slippery trash in a Plow Day field......all of the decent ag tires out there do a respectable job in the field.....and certainly there are more variables out in the field.....too many to make a clear cut winner out of a tire design.

Sooooooooo.......Listen to the opinions of those you trust, make sure your uses match the conditions that they have developed those opinions under.......and then PICK THE TIRE YOU THINK LOOKS AND THE COOLEST AND WILL WORK THE BEST!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Then weight it up and go play in the dirt!!!!!!

Don't forget the 782/982 high back seat....

283734.jpg

My $.02 on tire types/brands I do some pulling here in FL clay/sand mix track, in a stock clas, ie low gear, wieght placement and tire pressure seems to be more important than lug design,my grandsons 71 with 23-8.50 super lugs @1050# will almost allways stall out and typically finishes in top 3 positions. Also have 102 with 23-10.5 23* stones @1050# that sometimes doesnt pull as well typically with a hard dry track. Use these tractors to plow with, both do great, again sandy soil. Like "Mr. Plow" said ,purpose...purpose...purpose, no matter what just enjoy the ride!

Steve,
The seats on the 4x2,5x2,6x2,7x2,9x2,and 12x2
err.gif
originally started production off with the 6 pad seat like the QL's had on them.I kinda like the high back ones you show though.

283749.jpg

Kevin Johannes

You need this bracket to put the rear lift(3 point hitch) on your 127.

283752.jpg

Lewis,

782 and 982 had deluxe high back, everything else was low back (6 pad).

The high end models had high end seats from day 1. (The litereature shot I posted uses preproduction machines for the photo shoots)

Doug,Donald and Jeff,
Before the 82 series it was alway even numbers equal gear drive and odd equal hydros. The second number was the hp. i.e. 149 - 14hp hydro, 128 = 12 hp. gear drive. Sound simple enough to me.

seems like there is a problem Houston.
I owned about 5 782's,most had the 6 pad seat that was in pretty sad shape.

283774.jpg

There must have been a production change along the line.

Latest posts

Back