• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 15, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Jeff: 169's started in 1974 with serial # 506737. I just love quoting Hank Will! OK, who's got it?
happy.gif

Frank.. Thank you that puts the first 169 made in March 1974

I need that book.

Gerry Ide

I see you must have looked me up to know so much about my area that I live in.This cub engine is not my first boat ride. I have had a few engines rebuilt ; my 73 Norton police interstate that had two Carbs and a set of points and condenseness and coils for each cylinder. I did take me some time to get it running correctly . The bike would run but not as well as it did after some time messing with all the setting for points and Carbs.I have no dought that I will find what is causing my problem . I have a few parts and I will take parts from great running tractors and eliminate the bad parts that way. I will geterdone .I have a 10 hp engine (cub) that I bought from Frank C that really works nice; also my 149 ,129 works and I`am very happy with those engines. I won`t stop till I get this 125 engine running the same as my other tractors. I have a good time when I spend it in my shop.I could use a bigger shop ; at least 40x60 would be nice with a paint room and prep room.But my 28x30 will have to do me.

Frank , Hows the Cable internet working out for you.I bet you wish you had that years ago. we have 40mb a sec here and it is fast.down load a 2.5 hr move in 6 minutes .
thumbsup_old.gif

Don:
Just pullin' your leg.... I'm sure you'll nail it down soon enough. As far as knowing your local area ........ You've got "neighbors" that spends winters here in the park, soaking up the sun and counting the days 'till they have to go back across the border (That's a ridiculous rule, on both sides of the fence). They live close to Mill Village...they hadn't heard before I asked them about a crazy guy with lots of Cubs
wink.gif

BTW - I use parts off a good running engine as last resort - I've got too many experiences with one down mainframe computer turning into two down mainframe computers ( my recent golf cart engine fracas could probably have solved quicker, but I shied away from pulling a known good carb off ... figured I'd then need new gaskets on that engine, too)...
roflol.gif

Don: I've held my tongue (fingers) but I think that one of the easiest things to do when reassembling one of these is to get the crank and cam marks one tooth off. It has a thing to do with the way they slide together on re-assembly. And, yes, this is great! If you call now I can play computer and listen on the phone at the same time!!!

Jeff: We all need that book!

Gerry: My brother's in Florida. Called this morning from a golf course. He was on hold - a 32* temp had them worrying that stepping on the grass would kill it.
happy.gif

Frank - my ISP here just upped the Max download from 40 Mb/s to 60 Mb/s - they wanted to know if I wanted to move up to the top tier, but most websites download speed is no where near that speed.... ... I did like the fast speed back when the 'other" Cub site had all the manuals, though.. I downloaded everything they had one afternoon....Might have bogged their server a little though, six or seven downloads going at once..
clappy.gif

Frank, I understand your frustration with the engine, hate to have something not work, makes me all the more determined that it will. I too noticed the comment you made about the black smoke and Gerry's comment that it probably was not caused by the carb. With that in mind I have a question that the more experienced on here could answer, is there a possibility that a sticking valve could possibly allow the poor running and the black smoke? (But then you said it ran at full RPM with another carb)

Harry, you're right, someone with a last name like mine should recognize one of my own carbs (would you believe I have 3 cubs, 2 extra carbs and all of them are Walbro). Not a Carter in the bunch.

The nanco ags I have are 26x12-12. I have them mounted on 8.5" wide rims. No clearance issues what so ever. I've pulled a plow, ripper, disk, and pushed quite a bit of snow with them (no chains) and have been happy with the results. I have them filled with washer fluid and have 3 sets of weights to go on them as well.

Hey, still shoppin' here in CT when I'm not shoveling snow. Going to see a guy this weekend with a 122 and a 1000. Hydro Harry has privately given me his biased opinion, so I was hoping for a wider base of opinions on the pros and cons of these 2 for just cutting 1/2 acre of grass and light yard work. I'm obviously in no hurry with a foot of compacted snow still on the ground. Thanx for the input, Dave

Yup - I told David to stay away from the Gear Drive units. Hydros are the ONLY way to GO!!!
angel.gif

Everyone else can let David know about 122s and 1000s.

Regarding proper cam timing on the Kohler - Easiest way is to remove the cylinder head, then rotate engine so that piston is at TDC on the exhaust/intake stroke. Valves should be in overlap...that is, exhaust and intake should be both slightly open. If so, engine is properly timed. If not, well, you know the drill!

David K.: Thanks for the tip, I have noted it for future reference.

David H.: If you plan to either mow or snow blow with your tractor I think you would be happier with a hydrostatic unit. Once you go hydro, you'll never go back (except for special duty tasks like steady-speed spraying or ground engagement tasks like plowing or using a blade).

To put it another way, most anything a gear drive can do, a hydro can do, and often do it better. In My Honest Opinion.

Dave K.: Your "indexing" exercise sounds like a good step to include in a standard re-assembly drill.

In as much as I have a 126 now, I'm wondering if I should defend the gear drives...
1a_scratchhead.gif

If I were to defend the gear drives - and not get sideways with Hydro Harry, I might would say that one of the best benefits of the the gear drives would have to be no hand required at all times on the hydro lever. You can have both hands on the steering wheel or one hand on the wheel and the other in the air signaling to the neighbor working on their broken (again) K-Grow rider like this...

greenthumb.gif

But I better just keep...
lurking.gif

Bill (and Dave H.): The one time I've wished I had a gear drive is when I've broken down with the hydro at the furthest point in the yard away from the shed. It happened a lot the first year or two I owned a hydro, and I cursed softly under the sweat pushing it back.
smile.gif

Dave,
You know you shouldn't listen to people from Washington (and DC too).

Under the "I didn't know that column", the IH logo is called "Man On A Tractor" and was designed by Robert Lowery for International Harvester in the late 1930's.

Frank, my wife says I'm not confused, but I'm not allowed to post her name for it.

Back