• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Charlie,
greenthumb.gif

Please, excuse me for changing the the topic. In the video that Digger posted, at the 1:24 mark, you can see two different types of rear tires. Ones that look like old school snow tires and ones that are more turf type. I know that Firestone makes the snow tire kind and are available today. My Original had the turf type (Goodyear). They were really no good. Does anybody make these today? I want to use my Original just for mowing the lawn and would prefer the turf type. I want to be as close to original as possible. How do the Firestones work on a lawn? Do they tear it up at all?

Thanks for the video!
Bill

William,
On my 1962 Original, I have the Firestone 6-12 turf tires. They work well on grass and does not tear it up. When I go fast and make sharp turns it will, but that is only when I am pulling the kids around and having fun!!!!

Charlie - thanks for the video, but I wonder how they shipped the other front wheel..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Gerry, I was wondering the same thing. I think one front tire goes on top of the two rears, see top photo below. Then the seat goes on top of the tire stack, and the other front tire hangs off of the right side, see bottom photo:

324767.jpg

324768.jpg

Wonder where the bag is for the lug nuts and front spindle bolts and how many got lost..
1a_scratchhead.gif

Between the rear wheels along with the seat spring and assorted mounting parts....

Steve,

Yep, all required mounting hardware for assembly was contained in a thick padded shipping envelope, stapled shut and placed in one of the rear wheel rim cavities.

The shipping configuration changed some on later models with fenders and wider rear tires. If I remember right, one rear wheel was laid flat on fender seat area with the mounting hardware envelope and steering wheel placed in the wheel cavity and a front wheel placed on top if it. The deluxe seat was oriented somewhat vertically on the LH foot rest while the other rear tire was placed vertically on the RH foot rest and both were strapped to the frame or steering tower in some manner. The remaining front wheel was placed in the RH wheelwell and strapped to the frame and rear axle.

When the wide frame models came out, the front axle assembly was no longer installed to the frame. It was placed in front of the frame on the forward sill end of the crate and held in place with two good size nails driven into the wood sill beam and bent over each axle.

Hey Guys - I've been out of touch for awhile and don't know if someone might have posted elsewhere, but since it's off topic Friday I thought I'd post this.

324772.jpg

I think the caption is "Old International, ran when parked, needs work"

It's currently 17,500 feet "below" sea level, sitting on the deck of the USS Hornet, sunk during WWII and just discovered.

Harry,

I saw where they discovered the ship, that's neat.

Speaking of below the sea level, they are calling for rain here every day until further notice!
a_weep.gif

+/-75 Years 17,500ft down.....amazing how well everything looks.....

If steel could talk....can you imagine the stories?

Hydro, that's interesting, looks to be in decent condition.

WOW, Harry and Kraig! Those pics also back up my claim that IH decals are indestructible!
happy.gif

(seats, not so much).
happy.gif
happy.gif

(Boy, Harry, did you come back with a bang!)
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Update on cork gasket job....

Would everyone be in agreement that I definitely needed a new one?!

324784.jpg

Also wanted to ask....there is a thin film of plastic on the pump side . How did this get there? From what I see on the pictured instructions, the new gaskets have a protective sheet that gets removed before putting it on. So, did someone not remove it when putting on the gasket? If so, I assume the adhesive backing was not exposed, thereby making it a bit tougher to keep the gasket in place when putting the pump back on I'd think. (Gasket is original by the way...never been changed...at least not by me and I own the Cub since '81. Old gasket was on the trans side...didn't expect that either)

324785.jpg

And finally...best to replace the filter? I assume most of the fluid is already drained out of it from emptying the trans.

So far so good....worse part was when I rolled the transaxle back, it wanted to pull the whole front of the tractor with it. Never thought about the lack of weight since there is no engine in it right now! Then, the next thing that happened was the thing started to slip off the jack, so there I was holding it not wanting to set it down on the suction tube (didn't seem like a great idea). Finally got a 2x4 piece wedged between bottom of the trans and the jack. All in all, not a job (separation) I plan to do too often.

I will check the manual to see what the torque is on the 4 bolts that had to come off, unless someone here knows? Probably just tightening them up good with the 1/2" drive I used to take them off would be ok. Don't want to over tighten the suction tube flare nuts either.

Photos from the USS Hornet are amazing. Be something to take that tractor completely apart and see what sort of shape everything's in. Cool that you can still read the IH label!

Does anyone know someone in the East Texas area (I live in Tyler) who works on old IH Cub Cadets? I have a 128 with a lot of play in the steering wheel and that's a job I don't particularly want to take on. I'd be willing to pull it as far as Dallas or Shreveport. Thanks

Back