• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 13, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhinds

displayname
Luther Ray Hinds
Looking at the weather maps I am feeling pretty lucky. We have had -13 to +63 this January and Feb. 1 to 3 inch snows. But nothing like some southern states have had. Ga., Alabama and the Carolinas are getting blasted with ice and snow. The cub cadets are resting at the barn.

I'll take several feet of snow and sub-zero temps over ice. Ice can be much more dangerous and destructive IMO.

JEFF B. - I forgot the worst vehicle I had for broken windows, my brand new '77 Firebird Esprit. Four months old, on the way into town on Friday nite to pickup my "Bride-To-Be" for our wedding rehearsal and dinner. Going over an over-pass over Interstate 80, a pheasant flys out of the weeds by the guard rail, hits the windshield dead center in front of the wife's seat where she'll be sitting riding to our Honeymoon destination. I accepted four hours of O/T @ FARMALL that Saturday, so called a glass company and they replaced the windshield in the co. parking lot. Windshield #1 installed!

When the car was about 2 yrs old, somebody broke the driver's door window and stole my tape deck. Driver's door window #1

Fast-forward about 5-6 yrs. Wife is picking SON up at the baby-sitters. The shift lever lock button on the A/T shifter is stuck down, and for some reason SON wants to "GO!!", from his child seat, reaches up and pulls the lever out of Park, car is on a slight hill and with the passenger door open, starts rolling backwards. Wife is panicking, narrowly misses getting squished between the open pass. door and the "No parking corner to here" sign but gets away, but the door catches the sign, and bends the door open about 135 degrees, WAY past the design limits, pass doow window hits the sign post first, shatters, and tweeks the door frame & A pillar on the car enough to crack the windshield. So pass door window #1, & windshield #2 are installed.

The rest of the time, no more shattered glass, but what's funny is, the '77 Firebird was the first year for the wrap-around rear window, and the window in mine fit TERRIBLY. I wished it had got broken, the replacement window could NOT have fit worse.

There were other windows replaced too, like the driver's side rear window in the '88 Mustang GT that shattered when my wife his a small tree after skidding on ice and ended up at the bottom of a 40-50 ft ravine. Left rear fender & window were the only damage. Not even a scuff on the frt bumper where it mowed down a 3" dia. tree just a foot or so from a 5 ft deep creek at the bottom of the ravine.

And there were several windows in UPS trucks, semi-trucks, etc, but somebody else paid for them.

Dennis at that point you should of been looking to buy stock in the glass company.. lol

We;re getting ABOVE freezing temps,accompied by RAIN..SLEET..Ice and SNOW today.!! The frigid temps may for the most part behind us but warmer temps offer the bigger mix of problems. Charlie I'm with you.. I can walk thru/in snow..ICE? not so much.!!

Cath

That's just great!! NOT! And we are due in Ia City at 2PM for Carolyn's final check up from her ankle surgery last spring.

I think we'll just call and tell 'em it's just fine, thank you!! Do Ya suppose they will still bill us for the aptmt' ??

David, did you call off Carolyns appt? geez,yesterday the complete MIX of weather, today in the high 40's and then I look at my phone for weather and see a BLIZZARD watch for thursday? WHHHAAAATTT? well, typical Iowa weather in February. I'm a feb baby and always around my birthday the weather is really interesting.! lol.. still have a few days to go, but maybe it'll NOT do anything THIS year? lol

cath

Yeah, we got it resche'd for next month. We all had fun in the snow w/cubs instead. G'daughter Missy on the 1450 /thrower and Carolyn on the O w/thrower and I used the 1000 and blade. Sure made quick work of our street!

I can beat that, LOL
283864.jpg

David, well good to hear you stayed home, safe, and played in the snow rather then fighting it on the road..you ready for thursday? wonter if the blizzard will POOF out or really do something this time?

cath

this morning, the day after the BLIZZARD that didnt arrive, nor heavy snow is 16 above zero. Cold air back in.the weathermen should get a big F for miscalulating the forecast.! They haven't been getting the big storms accurate. I suppose somewhere there was a blizzard, but not here..thank goodness, although The roads were messy and unpredictable, but that was about it.
Cath

Same here! Just a dusting is all. The only blizzard you re gonna get around here is at the Dairy Queen!! Make mine a Pecan Cluster please, seeing as how they ditched the best one they ever had couple years ago which was the Nestlé's Crunch

Oh yeah, by the way, the snow now should be just right (frozen and kind of grainy) for making ice cream. Carolyn and I made a big batch of vanilla the other nite to celebrate our 48th year!!

oh wow David, the ice cream sounds delicious. What a cool way..lol..to celebrate your anniversay...congrats to you two..!!

we got a bit of sleet, enough to cover the ground then a dusting to of snow. ( oh our dairy queen, the closest anyways is closed right now..what a bummer.

Cath

We got hammered with snow yesterday and overnight. It was well above freezing yesterday and it started as rain. This morning around 6:00 it was still snowing lightly and the temp was 8°F. Hard to say exactly how much we got, I'd guess somewhere between 8" and 12" but it's blowing and drifting so I can't really measure it. The temps are supposed to be going lower and by this time next week back into the double digit below zero lows and single digit below zero highs. Sigh...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I hate that everyone is suffering the cold temps this year - I know it really hurts the pocket book as well. When I traveled around the country in my job I really got to see how people cope with this type of weather. This weekend I was able to "mow" my backyard (obviously with my cub) with several flocks of geese going north - I guess it is getting too hot down here. Hope everyone survives the winter of 2013-2014.

Rodney: While moving snow on Saturday (first good chance this winter - got 4 hours of quality tractor time) I was wondering who would be the first to post about mowing. You win!
thumbsup_old.gif
happy.gif

Back