• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 11, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
Dave said "The decompressor is acting up"
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif

What kind of problems might I expect if I install a Kohler magnum 20 in a 582.
Eddie B.

Dave- The K-series engines typically developed wear midway down the cylinder walls ('taper'). Most of the time, a simple re-bore (to 0.010" or 0.020" oversize) and a new piston and ring kit will solve the oil-consumption problem... but before you do that, take the crankcase breather off, clean it out, and reassemble. If the engine stops breathing oil and spitting the dipstick out, the problem was more likely a breather than cylinder wear.

As for rod-bearing wear, typical method of solving is to grind the crank to 0.010" undersize, and purchase a replacement connecting rod, however, I've never had to do that- I simply cut down the rod-cap, polished the crank, and reamed the crank to proper fit. I haven't come across any valve or guide wear, just ground valve seats a little.

For rebuild parts, you can use authentic Kohler parts, or aftermarket replacement parts by STENS... they're less expensive, but still good parts.

The other thing you can do, is check the For-Sale segment of the forum... some guys here find rebuildable engines, and give 'em a full going-through, then post 'em for-sale for much less than a Kohler Replacement Engine... oftentimes, much much less than if you were to take your engine to a shop for same work.

Terry- the 'Decompressor' translated literally, is the French term used for 'Automatic Compression Release'. Just be glad he didn't refer to L'Embrayge... Hydros don't have one!

ELB jr.,
You get a "Steering Obstruction". There is a guy on this page that has put a 25 in a 582, he's Mike ???

Thanks Tom,
I have checked the archives but must have missed that one. This engine is currently on a Gorman Rupp trash pump. The pump is trash, (pun intended), but the engine seems to be okay. The company I work for is offering to the employee with the highest bid. A couple $100s might buy it. The 582 I have has no engine ( thanks to previous owner ). Also does anyone have pictures of a 50A mowing deck in good condition. Have one I'm going to restore thats in pretty bad condition. Goes to a 1650 thats needs quite a bit of work. Will try to post pictures of progress on both.
Thanks,
Eddie B.

Tom- isn't Mike's 25 a Command 25 V, rather than a Magnum boxer?

Eddie- is the Magnum 20 a horizontally-opposed, or a V-twin? I THINK the Magnum 20 is close-enough form-factor to the KT17/Magnum 18 to be essentially a drop-in... the Command V-twins will fit too, but there's a few points of attention. Either way, if you have the rolling chassis, and an opportunity to pick up that engine for-cheep, you're obligated (by Cub Cadet Code of Ethics) to mate the two, and I believe an appropriate name would be "582 TrashMaster". Oh, and while you're at it, make twin exhaust stacks out of 5" cast-iron sewer pipe... complete with flanges!

Thanks Dave,
I'll have to check cyl. configuration, not sure right now but think it might be horizontal. TrashMaster sounds great, (better than CrashMaster).
Thanks Charlie,
Pictures of well used deck(s) you posted looks a lot better than the one I have. Looks like the leading edge on mine has been used to level yards and push up tree stumps. About a 4"x4" area broken out and missing from bottom of leading edge. Also curved guard on front at discharge side not attached at bottom of deck and curled under. Nothing like a challenge.
Thanks again.

Edwin,

A 20hp Mag (horizontal opposed twin) will drop right in an 82 series. The only difference between the 18 and the 20 is a little bit of stroke (taller deck height), but not enough to be an issue.

Dad's 782 at PD#8 has a Mag 20hp in it and it's HOT!!!!

A while back someone was asking about Kohler single blocks. Did I understand corectly that the Cub Kohler block only has bolt holes for the special pan to fit the cub chassis? A block that has the large, flat, universal type pan won't fit in a quiet line even with the cub pan on it? Everything else is the same right? Trying to decide who gets the 341. 220 Case or a 1250 Cub. Looks like the Case might be the winner since it allready has the double pan mount block.

Brian,

You are basically correct, the large base Kohlers won't fit into Cubs, they need to be the small base "special" pans.

Don V. had a pic of 3 styles of Kohler blocks posted just recently, if you can't find it maybe Kraig can repost it....the picture speaks 1000 words as to why things won't work.

Posted By Don V. January 30, 2005 - 08:14 pm:
Cody; if you built a wide base engine it won't fit. hieght and width are way off.
25619.jpg

theres 3 blocks in the pic, the cub base block is very hard to make out on the right. but the one on the left is very common.it won't fit without alot of work done to the block or frame. the center block is a John Deere block. it can be modifyed pretty easy

The middle block pictured can be modfied by cutting the "ears" off, the far left has the angled cutouts which would have to be welded up.

Looking for some pictures that show mounting of a hydro pump and cylinder on a 127 or similar model.

Thanks Charlie. What happens to the manual lift handle? I seem to remember more pictuers that were related to your 3rd picture. Brackets and mounting of hydro cylinder. Appreciate the help.

Charlie, I should ask the question differently. Does the manual handle get unbolted? Is it replaced with a different bracket that the cylinder is attached to? I don't think I've seen a cub without a attachment lift handle.

Russ,
I hate to ask it here, BUT!
Have you checked your email?
If you do, I think you will find out everything you need to know on this deal.

Back