• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art, I bet I could get snow a good ways up onto your roof with my QA42 and 125. :eek:)

Tedd, I believe that Kawasaki makes some. I think they are used in the current line of JD garden tractors. Perhaps Wes H. will correct me if I'm wrong.

Wes H.,????

Wes H., are the JD V-Twins that are used in the JD X-Series made by Kawasaki?

15773.jpg

WYATT - I got some Propaganda several years ago from Kohler on the old K-series and the newer Magnum series, and the torque peak is lower than that, Can't remember for sure on the K321 but most were between 2000-2200-2400 RPM. The Magnum's peak was higher, 2500-2600.

Tedd,

Not meaning to plug a non-sponsor, but you might want to check out the smallenginewarehouse site.

They have some water cooled Kawasaki engines that they say are replacements for Brand J and Cub Cadet.

Ted
Go to your dealer and get a parts book copy of a 2086. Believe it or not a V Twin 20 HP Kawasaki FD620 can be dropped in with the right parts added. It would be done via the same process I put a Command 20 Kohler in a 682. The only real modification from the original parts was the addition of 4 bolt holes in the engine mounting plate. The rest is bolt up and $$$. "I used an engine mounting plate from a 1864 as a template". If you are dead serious about doing this I am certain I can get the exact dimensions of the hole placement on the engine mounting from a "Birdie" I know. Oh yeah and if anyone gets ideas about a Command in a 82 series you CAN use the original drive shaft with the addition of the correct kind of spacers and four LONG 1/4 20 bolts. Only real issue I had was the removal of the air cleaner cover, "Dooooh" as Homer would say. Till a dome air clear was added I had to raise the fuel tank about 3" in order to service the air cleaner.

Kewl,
Thanks Kraig/Steve/Mcgiver, that is what I was hoping for. I like the idea of using a Cub setup to keep it on topic. I will call a sponsor for the manual.

Denny-
I found the #'s on Bryan's page for the QL's. It listed 23.5 lb*ft @ 2200 RPM, seems sorta low to me, but that's the only #'s given.

With the addition of ANY V Twin in an 82 series you will find that the engine is not as long and therefore the drive shaft will be too short. With the addition of spacers as required you can make the original drive shaft work with ease. Along with the spacers there are hubs that will fit the engines with the four bolt pattern that has stayed the same since the word go in 1961 to today. If you intend to put an engine in with electronic ignition as opposed to the tradition coil automotive style that is easily done with the addition of one relay. There is absolutely no need to "rewire" an entire tractor.
15775.jpg

Herb, and Kraig..
the 149's electric clutch stopped working the other night, so i found that the wire going to the clutch coil broke and needed replacing. this gave me an opportunity to really get some good photos of the clutch install. the pictures are large, and so the detail is preserved, i'll put them up on my website. Kraig, feel free to use them in your archives, i will leave them up there for a few weeks...
the link is http://web.a-znet.com/stanner/cub/

/image{clutch}

McGiver, it's good to have you back here posting again. You always provide great info.

Scott T., cool, high resolution photos, thanks!!!! :eek:)

Scott T-
Great photos! I loved the video of the electric chute rotator.

So, is that just a regular QL electric PTO then? Is it just the center crankshaft bolt that holds it on? Have you had to make any mods to the engine to make it fit?

Scott.
Don't mean to scare ya BUT! lets think about this. In the event that the clutch starts getting its ground through its own casing due to a naked wire what is going to happen to the main bearings in the engine? Been there done it got the "T" shirt, it ain't pretty. It is about the equivalent of raking welding electrode across the bearings at 3600 RPM. Those Warner CVX clutches such as the one in the pic have a history of doing this, and there have even been occasions where the field coil itself shorted near where the windings exit the case near the wire that is used for ground and the same result happens.

mcgiver..

i hear ya... this clutch was free, the original was fubar, i have a spare new one, and it's been on the 149 since 1993 without incident, so, i guess some excitment would be welcome, i guess... i use a chain to the front casting mounts so it doesn't rotate, (which i am replacing with a new piece)and the wires are fused up the wazoo.. i have memories of my dad overhauling the mechanical clutch several times when i was growing up... (i grew up?)

the snout of the engine is not quite long enough, so i machined a spacer that extends the snout to support the clutch, and is held on w/ a grade 8 bolt and loctite.. (see photos in link)

it is not a QL clutch, but a warner unit that was spec'd for an industrial application

Need opinions and information on putting washer fluid in tires as weight.
Tire store said that alcohol will breakdown rubber in 3 or 4 years.
Was thinking of breaking bead and adding 6 gal.
Any input would be appreciated.

Hey, Brian M.-- I am trying to post a pic, but my forum window doesn't match the example pics in the help section. I've entered my username & password, but it doesn't have box for email addy.

Also, says "This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here."

I thought/think I'm a member of this forum, since I have a username & password to post... What have I done wrong?

Still no luck with posting the pic. I think another forum member is going to assist.

I have a pic coming of some samples for a replacement part to p/n 720-3004. That is the cover on the hyd. lift. levers on the x82 series tractors.

I would appreciate any feedback (good or bad) you guys could give me on appearance, & whatever else that comes to mind. The covers are available in 11 colors.

Also, anybody have any idea what the original replacement parts were going for? I have no idea.

Here is a photo of the Lever Covers.

15779.jpg

Dan C. -

Are you trying to post somewhere you don't have access to? The classifieds aren't free - it's all explained in the classifieds with a link on how to sign up. Looks like you can post pictures just fine here...

Finally, we don't know you well enough to let you into the Garage, either
wink.gif

I reworked my standard Cub Cadet snowplow into a hydraulically angled blade. It works super if anyone is interested.

15783.jpg

15784.jpg

15785.jpg

15786.jpg

15787.jpg

Back