• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 10, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpatchett

displayname
Jim Patchett
Hugh,

I don't think all 82 series tractors have fine spline rear axles. The axle in my 982 is not a fine spline and it broke in Sept. 2012. The parts look up indicates different axle part numbers based on tractor serial number.
The side panels, 1” front axles, hydro lever position and what implements you have are all considerations. I normally cut my grass and throw snow with my 982, which are 82 series implements and won’t easily older cubs. That makes my 982 busy most all year around, thus not available to be a loader. If I had to choose between two tractors, I would but a loader on my 149 which is my backup for the 982. I don’t like to change implements if I don’t have to, I prefer hop on a different tractor. I purchased a 1872 with power steering for the loader will fabricate someday.

Jim

I've got a question on mounting a 42' snow blade . Not sure if this is the right place to post. I already looked in the manual section several times and I'm still having trouble. Long story short , I took the blade and the subframe off a 100 and I'm wanting to put it on a 104. It wouldn't fit on the QA so I took that off and tried bolting the mule drive brackets from the 100 on the 104. It was close but didn't fit , what exactly do I need to do?? Anyone have a pic of what its suppose to look like?? I guess I'm gonna try to use just the mule drive from the 104 and see if that works. I've been thinking about bolting it on for the past 2 years now. Any advice would be nice. Thanks

Hugh-
What's the punishment for hanging JD weights off of BOTH ends of an 82-series?

bottom.gif

Art- Weight is weight. My arse isn't big enough to keep that thing down!! ;)

Jonathan S: I had the same issue last fall when I wanted to mount my 42 inch blade (designed for a 100) on a 73. After many posts and suggestions by others it was decided I would need to locate a QA type subframe in order to use it on that tractor. Since, then, however, I also considered mounting 100 mule drive brackets on the 73 and using the original subframe. Although I haven't tried it yet, I did convince myself this should work because the holes are all there and appear to line up. You said it was "close" but it wouldn't fit...this really surprises me; I was absolutely certain that would work. I'm almost sure you won't want the 104 mule drive on, however...that isn't used with any snow blade.

STEVE B. - I saw on my local news this AM about a huge water main break in Peoria. Yes, frost is REALLY deep this year with all this cold weather. I hate to think of all the frost heaves in the roads when it finally warms up this spring.

Had a little news report yesterday afternoon that Madison WI. has had ten years worth of water main breaks this winter so far, and more will happen. The spokes person for the Dept. of Public works said there's frost FIVE feet deep most places that's causing the problem.

So yes, NO ruts left around here where ever you drive your snow removal equipment.

Weather Guessers are predicting the first day of 30 degree temps later this week, highest temp in the last MONTH has been 21 degrees. So we can break out the shorts and sandals!

Denny
You guys are getting some awfully cold weather over there. It is -16 here this am. I will be happy when it is MC weather again . Local buy and sell has an IH snow blower for sale . Look to be in some great shape. It will be a shop day for me today I do have a lot of work piling up.

283514.jpg

DON - Only 13 below F here this AM so far, was predicted to be 17 below. But west of town there was one small town reporting 22 below.

Wish Charlie would close his back door and keep all this cold air up north!

And along with our warm-up this week, we're getting more snow, sounds like little snows, inch or two at a time but four of the next six days have some snow predicted.

I finally got my 12V elec. glove liners, have to install the power line to the battery on the #1 snow mover and try them out later this week. Be nice pushing snow with warm fingers!

Jonathan, here are some photos of the proper blade sub-frame for a Narrow Frame QA hitch and how it mounts. It might be possible to make some add on brackets for your existing sub-frame that would allow you to drill some holes in a position to run a rod through the QA mounting hooks.
dunno.gif
Hopefully the photos will give you some ideas. Or you could try to locate the proper sub-frame to use with your blade.

283522.jpg

283523.jpg

283524.jpg

Good morning all..Kraig, would you happen to know the name and part number of the lift bracket that goes on the lift handle for a front blade on a 122. And also where i might get 1 ? TIA for any help}}

Dennis,
I was riding with a buddy the other day going to Jefferson with a load of corn, and it was like running down a rail road track without the rails! I think I sould be buying stock in a spring and shackle company. Those trucks are takin' a beating. BTW, -14 this morning.

Ron, you mean one of these? If so, the classifieds would be your best bet. I've always known it as a "Lift Bracket" Not sure of the part number but you might be able to find it in the Parts Lookup.

283526.jpg

283527.jpg

TOM H. - Yes, Wife & I have both noticed how rough the roads are getting the last 2-3 weeks, my little car bucks like a rodeo horse on all the blacktop roads, even some of the Interstates. I suspect those will be HUGE pot holes from shoulder-to-shoulder when the frost finally leaves the pavement.

Seems like trucks ALWAYS take a beating in spring. Dad used to run lots of county blacktops & state roads in NW ILL back when he drove. He always thought the roads wore "Smoother" over the winter, then totally fell apart in spring. In the years he hauled fuel & fertilizer, the list of suspension parts he broke was L-O-N-G and IMPRESSIVE. He even broke that HUGE forged aluminum I-beam connecting the two drive axles together on his one semi-tractor with Hendrickson Walking Beam suspension. Trucks I drove all had Reyco 4-spring suspensions, kinda a "poor man's" independent rear suspencion before air-ride became common. Each end of the drive axle's had it's own spring. You could swap springs, or replace a leaf or two in under an hour.

I just keep reminding myself, that RODENT, JIMMY, saw his shadow @ 7 AM Feb. 2nd in Sun Prairie... so only 4-1/2 more weeks of winter to go. He's more accurate than that other rodent, Phil, out in PA.

To keep this on-topic, guess I should start shopping for points & condenser for my Onan in the 982. Just 2 seconds after mowing the last blade of grass and mulching the last leaf last fall, it started cutting out, surging, sputtering like it did 3 yrs ago. Setting the points, new plugs, carb rebuild, new fuel pump all made NO difference. Ordered points & cond. and didn't expect ANY change but that fixed it. I'll do the repairs in reverse order this time. Engine only has maybe 100 hours since the last repair. Dang @%$& Onan!

Don,

I don't believe I have ever seen an IH snow blower like that one. My 268 is proper yellow and white, has a Briggs and Stratton, and a discharge chute similar to the QA's

Nice find!

(Off topic, sorry!)

That snow blower is in nice shape and I should buy it just because lol. I spent the first hr in my shop just putting tools away . I hope to put some paint on the pan above the frame on my 125 for the seat. It will soon be grass cutting time and I want to try the 125 out .

Back