• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 10, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
Denny, same as when you buy leaded fuel, when I buy K-1 kerosene for my torpedo heater, I have to sign a paper swearing it's for "Non-Road" use! And you can only purchase 3 gallons at a time! And sometimes they dye it green or other times it's blue.

Mike, no drips or leaks of any kind with either of my vehicles. However, my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo has a lot of miles on it and it does use some oil between oil/filter changes.

Darren, some of the blocks are different as well, it isn't just the oil pans. It should be kind of obvious though. Here's an old photo showing one different version of a Kohler block on the left verses a Cub Cadet style on on the right.

235200.jpg

MIKE - I don't have to sign anything to buy kero, at least last winter I didn't. I bought 10 gallon and before I insulated my shop that would last me 2-3, maybe 4 weeks. Now the 10 gal I got over a year ago I still have about 6 gal left in the cans. Kero is too expensive now anyhow! But so is LP gas.

My PSD leaks just a bit of oil sometimes. The diecast adapter for the engine dipstick has a big o-ring inside the pan and a large hex nut on the oilside of the pan, and the o-ring expands and gets out of the groove cast into the adapter. Sometimes it will leak a couple drops when I park it. The correct way to repair it requires oil pan removal which requires pulling the engine. So I let it drip a couple drops of oil on the shop floor from time-to-time.

Lets see..... I think the last kero-powered car or truck was built back in the 19-Teens.... I imagine they have all been taken out of use by now. ;-)

Kero was used for tractor fuel as late as the 1950's, IH made kerosene & distillate fueled tractors as late as the 350/450 models in 1958. The 6-cylinder tractors, 460/560 were only avail. with gasoline, LP, or diesel engines.

Darren,
As Kraig said, they blocks may be different... the picture on the left below can be adapted, but you'll need a steel or aluminum plate to sandwich to block off the square reliefs. These will only fit a WF tractor.

235207.jpg

235208.jpg

235209.jpg

235210.jpg

235211.jpg

The aluminum was cutout so the rotating stuff will clear. The metal needs to be thin, as you don't want to add a lot of thickness as it will raise the engine up. I used two gaskets, one on top, the other below the plate. The holes used for a cub pan were there, but had to be tapped.. I added a thicker reinforcing strap on each side out of the pan to bolt the shim to the block. This setup raised the engine less than 1/8". I was going to change to a double ragjoint driveshaft anyways.. I did this 3 years ago and no leaks. I only did this because this engine was a brand new never been run assembly..

thanks guys i havent seen the motor yet its in a tractor that a guy is selling, for dirt cheap, but now that i know it can be done, ill have to go checket out, thaks for the info guys, have agreat day..

Darren S - please also check the FAQ above and then click on Charlie's FAQ and go to no. 5. You'll see a pic of 3 different Kohler blocks provided by Don Vogt, and the block in the center is off one of those green machines, and can be made to work fairly easily. Don't know which version is used in one of those blue machines but may well be the one Scott shows in the pics. I don't know why Kraig didn't direct you to this FAQ, must a just slipped his mind, probably from all this slippery oil discussion.

Scott T - what type of unit is that Kohler K from. Is it a K341? I counted 13fins.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Harry, because I didn't know Charlie had that info in his FAQ.
blush.gif
I should have known he'd have it. I knew I had at least one photo so I posted that. I recall some photos that a former forum member posted many years back. I think it was Jeff Richardson. I went looking for them a little bit but didn't find them. IIRC the photos had the engine blocks setting on a pickup truck tailgate.

Kraig, that's one of the things the tailpipe sniffer with dyno was supposed to determine! The politicians aren't ready to un-leash that on the general public!

Denny, in New England adding K-1 to diesel fuel is an old practice in the winter. Stops fuel gel and it used to be cheap! That's why the different colors, when the D.O.T. dips your tanks it better be red!

Most of the local cops don't sweat it, it's the D.O.T. aka State Police who are a pain!

I hope we can enjoy our little tractors for a long long time! We just need to do it responsibly!

And thanks to Charlie & Kraig for letting this thread stray a bit without reprisal (sic).

Harry,
I bought it through my work back in 1984, as they were scrapping it out, back when you could buy stuff, before the @#@#^!~ guys ruined the practice... The company (Bryan McMeen knows which one) used them in truck reefer units... I never thought about counting the fins... This 14 HP engine is a late 70's/early 80's vintage, and has the alternator built in. I'll get the s/n when I get the chance...

Kraig - the FAQ no. 5 isn't real clear but the pic is. I now understand a little better why the center one (used in green machines) can be readily made to work, and the left one (used in other machines) take alot more work before it can be used.

Scott - it's really hard counting the fins and I can only do it in the 1st pic you posted but it sure looks like 13. I thought only the K341 16hp blocks blocks got 13 fins. Are you saying this is a 14hp K321?? Also, you say it will only fit a WF tractor, but I would think it will not work in a QL due to the ISO-bars.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Dennis - got it on the manuals. I'm 1/2 step ahead of you on those, I have downloaded and am reading.

I'm pretty sure that Toro is still Toro and not connected/owned by MTD. When they discontinued the Wheelhorse line of tractors, they used MTD lawn tractors painted red with the Toro name.

Thanks,
Bill

Harry,
I too count 13... It's a 14hp, according to the sticker, I'll get the s/n and pics this weekend, if I find a round tuit..

Scott - I suppose now we'll get a bunch of pics showing how many fins are on all the other blocks. By the way, I need a few of those round tuits myself.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (some slow down without round tuits)

The blocks with "options" for fin count (that anyone cares about) are the K-341 16hp blocks...12 or 13.

It never has been an issue or point of contention on any of the other K-series.

Ok, so now I know and I guess everyone else as well, that all the Kohler K's blocks are 13 fins, except the K341 16hp can be 12 or 13, and the 13 fin of the K341 is highly sought after for various reasons.

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (their fins keep'm going)

If you guys REALLY want a good K341 block to put in a CC, MWSC has them for $800. Some additinal machining required. Made from ductile iron, thicker top deck & main bearing support areas. REALLY stout piece.

They also have forged cranks in stock 3-1/4" stroke or a selection of billet stroker cranks up to 4.00" stroke. And if you don't want to mess with machining & assembly, they also sell a complete engine ready to run for $5600. Guaranteed to out pull everyone at your local plow day.

Ohhhhh, you guys aren't talking about "Finns" you're talking about fins.
Lemme' see.
One, two, three,.....
235233.jpg

Back