• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 10, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod, thanks. this is the one that I was asking why the engine was white.

Guys, Couple of questions that have been bugging me:

(1) When I turn my lights on, with the PTO engaged, the needle on my ammeter goes way over on the discharge side. I understand the current is flowing out of, and not into the battery, but is this a normal reading? I upgraded to a higher output alternator but the ammeter display did not change.

(2) Are mower decks interchangable between model series? Particularly, can decks for a 149 series fit a 782 series. (The information I'm seeking is more general than looking up attachments on Parts Lookup.)

JEREMIAH - On your amp gauge showing discharge, is the engine running, at a fast enough engine speed to get the alternator spinning fast enough to make full charge output? If so, sounds like there may be something wrong with the voltage regulator, or something draining away current almost to the point of a short circuit either in your PTO clutch or lights.

In order to charge the battery the amp gauge at rated engine speed and PTO & lights running should be at or just to the right of the center hash mark. Not familiar with which engine you have in your 782 and what style charging system it might have. Hard to diagnose.

A mower from a 149 should fit on a 782 as long as the mule drive and mower deck both are swapped, but the red tractors use a wider belt to power attachments so a wider pulley probably will have to be swapped onto the deck, the double pulley on the center spindle.

Dennis --Thanks for the info. The 782 is running a MAG 18 with a 25 Amp alternator/regulator. I think I'm going to take a closer look at the lighting circuit. Everything reads what I consider normal until the lights are switched on. I realize that lights draw a significant amount of current, I was just concerned by how low the gauge dropped. I take it from your response that my concerns are well founded. The previous owner had disconnected the headlamps. I wonder why?

Finally, the engine speed does not make a significant difference in the gauge reading. When working the tractor, I'm running wide open throttle: 3400 to 3600 rpm.

Yes, I think you have a wiring problem with the lights... Unless you have a WHOLE lot of extra lights.

Surprised you haven't blown a fuse. I bet you find some real "crunchy" wire some place buried someplace.

I wouldn't run the lights until you find the problem. Electrical fires are Nasty!

JEEEZUSSS!!!
censored.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif
censored.gif
lol.gif
censored.gif
bash.gif
censored.gif

People <u>REALLY</u> need to come here before bidding on Fleapay!! A guy is selling a flat belt pully on a 100 that is getting $690.00. I'll sell everyone I have for that kind of money! That's just crazy. I guess people have too much money.
old.gif

JEREMIAH - You may want to verify output at the source and work outwards from there. Remove the regulator plug, put a meter on the outside wires (Important!set meter to read AC for this test)with the engine running at 3600 you should see a minimum on 27 VAC{, often it is in the 50-65 range. If that checks out, next look for 12VDC at the center wire of the regulator with key switch in run position.

Next insure that the regulator is well grounded, a faulty ground here will really mess things up. We are curious to the outcome, so please keep us informed. Thanks!}}

Forget the Cougar I would much rather see pics of the 147. Oh to have a Cub look that pretty, someday!!!

It is so good to have internet again!! I've got a few plow videos over at you-tube in case anyone gets board.

Hey guys.
Back on Jan. 30th I was asking on what could be wrong with my neighbor's 582.
Well it's sucking gas out of the tank at first but then it doesn't.
It runs when pouring gas in the carb.
I now plan on rebuilding the carb.
Does anyone have part of a manual that you could e-mail me or post on line?
Thanks.

WOW! I got the carb. off and it is really gummed up.
eek.gif
I'm sure that is the problem. I have my rebuild kit ordered and should have it Monday. Just gotta have some pictures of a manual. Thanks again.

Back