• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 10, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan-I know but since you had the pic with the others...
wink.gif

Wyatt,I have been researching this subject for some time and it seems to me the following is correct.
Method #3: Install a Fine Spline Carrier and Axles - Top of page

The fine spline carrier and axles were manufactured by MTD (Modern Tool & Die) and not International Harvester. They're quite possibly just as strong as the automotive units, which is mentioned later in this section. They will fit in the earlier International Harvester's transaxles with no problems. They were used in the heavier [spread frame] garden tractors, and found in all Cub Cadets manufactured after serial # 720000 (1983 and later). This includes all late model yellow and white gear drive and hydrostatic drive Cub Cadets with an aluminum transaxle case, except the model 582 Special, which uses a Peerless transaxle. All models that have the fine spline carrier and axles are listed in the following link: Click here to identify which year of MTD Cub Cadet you may have.
http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/kohlcub.htm#MTD

Thanks for the well-wishes guys!!!! Monica and Emma are still both doing great and will get to come home on Wed. morning.

15740.jpg

15741.jpg

Emma is 8.5#, 19-3/4" long, and covered with dark hair!!!!!

Steven is happy to have a little sister and is very gentle with her (especially considering he's a 3 year old boy!!!).

Travis,

No need to ask Jonathan for help with "pink" stuff.....Little Emma already has enough pink clothes to completely cover a Cub Cadet!!!!!

Kraig,

She can have any kind of bed she wants (provided daddy can get it cut out of 1/2" plywood and painted half-way decent
happy.gif

Jonathan,

One of each....yup, probably enough
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Rich K.,

Congrats!!!! Hope everything goes well with your wife's pregnancy!!!!!

Ryan & Amanda,

How's your little guy doing???? Getting any sleep???

Wyatt & Dennis:

Get a corvette restoration catalog and look at the paint/coating that is used on corvette exhaust manifolds. It does not discolor with heat. Very dependable stuff. I don't have my catalog handy, so I cann ot give you the name. Catalogs like Midwest in Effingham, Il and some of the others all carry it. Most restorer's use it. May not be the color you want, but it may provide the protection you are looking for.

FRANK - Thanks for the tip on the coating.... Sounds like Any Color but PINK will work for Wyatt! ;-)
I've been tempted to get one of Eastwood's Hot-Coat systems, I've even got the elec. stove in the shop ready to cure the stuff. I've baked some good liquid enamel in the Wife's oven before with good success on some small parts, valve covers, etc. but it's not as durable as a powder coat.
STEVE & Monica - Congrat's on little EMMA!

Frank-
Thanks. Basically my initial question specifically is how Imron would hold up to engine heat as applied to the fins of the block and the block in general. As Denny said, it better not turn pink!

As for the exhaust straight pipe, I could care less, not too much takes heat well other than a plating like chrome (which won't go on this tractor).

Congratulations

Steve and Monica

How long will it be before Steve is completely wrapped around Emma's little finger...Our 3 yr old Michaela loves Daddys cubs but most of all she likes to get all covered in grease,and oil...then go and tell her mother, you know the rest of the story

Wyatt , The QL don't have fine axles & carriers, most of the 6&782 have them but from what I've seen not all of them do. the 3 582's that I parted did not have fine spline axles & carriers. seams like the latter built 6&782s had them

Don and Wyatt,I think the short answer is that everything except 582's after serial #720000 has fine splines.Prior to that there appear to have been some,but inconsistently.

while the fine spline setup is very nice improvement for a stocker it is probably questionable at best in a good running stock altered tractor. the good ones are getting past the 40 hp mark now. I wouldn't trust them much past 30hp. unless you like to work on rearends alot.

now a heavier carrier yet is the bolt together one used in the 1050 & other late build MTD gear drives. most of them I've seen have straight cut ring gear on them but a plasma cutter & some bolts can fix that up.they are heavier yet than the heavy cast one that comes with the 82 series units, they are also fine spline on the axles

Great pictures Steve!!!! Grandperants should be impressed. Should make for a busy house.
I get my first grandkid in May. Great reason to see the Davenport Iowa area. Kid lives in Grand Mound.

Been quiet for a very long time now. Some of you know some of what has happened in the past year. Finally it is all coming to an end one way or another. I have not yet achieved my ultimate goal but the answer to it is coming soon. I just wanted to say that the support that I have received from some of you forum members as well as sponsors is absolutely unbelievable, you know who you are. From the bottom of my heart I thank you and my boys do too. If I knew who the man was that initially conceived the idea of a yellow and white garden tractor, I swear I would kiss him. There is a good chance I will not obtain what I am after but no matter what I am still the luckiest man on earth to have friends like all of you.

Don-
The bolt-together is the one I'm after. This is the same engine that I was going to start building long ago with that carb you built. I seriously doubt I'll make much over 20hp.

Back