• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 08, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driving to work this morning at 9 degrees, turned up the defroster and pow! Windshield cracks about 4 inches up from the dashboard..
bash.gif

Cars 6 months old so this windshield had hardly any road rash on it! Oh well..

283575.jpg

This was at 6am at my brothers house a 1/8 mile south of me.

Lonny, your brother was almost out of thermometer range.
icon_eek.gif
Looks like it's a tiny bit above -30°F.

PAUL - I remember doing a coolant flush & refill in my PSD the first weekend in January, think it was in '99, maybe '98. Worked outside in shirt sleeves with water no less, was 60 degrees.

Yep, Global warming...

MIKE F. - Windshield in wife's car got it's first crack from a tiny little rock chip an eighth of an inch from the top edge, ran down about six inches, then turned right and ran all the way to the end of the glass. Odometer reading on the car was less than 500.0 miles, less than a week old. Still has the cracked winshield at 182,000 miles. It'll get fixed before it gets traded in.

Had a new windshield put in my truck after a piece of unrestrained cargo blew out of a pickup ahead of me, almost landed in the seat next to me. First big rock chip in the new windshield less than 100 miles after installation.

My little commuter car survived 3 yrs & 90,000 miles before a tiny chip next to the edge developed into a crack on the far left edge. It's now formed a complete circle, extending to within 6 inches of the passenger side A pillar and ends about 4 inches from where it started.

My truck would have been about two years old, go out after work and start the truck, brush the 3-4 inches of fresh snow off the windows, hood, cab, etc. Get back in, notice a small bit of snow I forgot to get off the driver's door mirrow, hit the power window button and the window shatters into a million pieces. I thought someone had shot at me! Shards of glass all over the inside of the truck, in my lap, inside the door, on the ground. L-O-N-G ride home 75 miles with NO driver's door window in January. Good thing Ford puts a good heater in their p/u's. Plus I always dress like I'll have to walk a mile or two in winter so I had plenty of clothes. At least it was a Friday, and the car glass shop has Saturday service hours.

I was reading on a forum years ago where someone said they have averaged a windshield replacement about every 8-9 months in their 8 yr old car. One or two per winter driving season. Lots of crushed rock roads in their area.

Lucky me I have never had a window crack in the winter, (now it will happen)
Dennis, would you really replace a cracked window on a car with 182,000 miles that your trading in?

JEFF - My insurance would pick up most if not all the cost of the new windshield, verses ME taking the whole hit on the dealer deducting the cost of replacement from their trade allowance.

Car's over 11 yrs old, dealer may put it on his lot for a quick sale but would probably whole-sale it. Still looks & drives like new, but I have this feeling it may get expensive to keep on the road anytime soon. What hurts is the Wife really likes the car, and I haven't had a car payment for years!

The ironic thing is that there is a new commercial on the radio for a windshield replacement place nearby. In the commercial they say to put the heater on for a while before turning it up to the defroster to prevent cracking the windshield.. So I tried it. And immediately busted the windshield!!
angry.gif

The insurance will cover the replacement completely. It started on the passenger side but now crosses over to the drivers so as soon as it warms up just a bit, I'll schedule it for repair.

Dennis that does make sense, I don't think my insurance would pay the whole thing, I have a deductible. Maybe I should check my policy about windows..

Woke up this morning to all of the snow dug out around the landscaping......last night the deer decided the bushes were easier pickings than the frozen down alfalfa behind the house.......they much have been pretty hungry to go after the ewes and barberries.....

Back