• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 08, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbliler

displayname
Jerry Bliler
Not funny to sign on and see a blank page! Is 10 years bad on a set of clutch springs on an Original?
Good note, the IH dealer has a set in stock. Kind of wander why?

I bought a running 149,backed it off my trailer and made it 100yds before the eng threw the rod. I tore it down,sent block,crank,head,and valves to local shop for repairs. Block-.010, crank-.010,vales -OK justed lapped, and head shaved .010 to clean up. Upon assembly I felt the balance gears were a little loose. I had read several places that they did not make much difference and could leave them out. I was building a stock 3600rpm eng for yard work but decided to install new bearings and reinstall them. I purchased bearings an carefully pressed them into the gears and they would not go onto the shafts. I found out that their were 2 different p/n's for the bearings and useing the wrong one would not allow them to fit the shaft.So I assembled the eng without the balance gears. I put eng in the frame and upon startup I could not believe the vibration.It is severe.My 109 runs real smooth, but the K321 is really bad.As luck would have it the PO of the 109 left the starter/generator pulley loosen up to the point that the pto shaft and keyway are shot.I have a K301 that uses a lot of oil,but the shaft is good, so I figured to rebuild it and replace the eng in the 109. I just opened that up yesterday and found the balance gears to be much looser on the shaft than the ones in the K321. That started me thinking. I believe the statements made concerning not needing the balance gears was made in reference to a K301 and not a K321.I would like to reduce the vibration in the 14hp and I'm not sure if I should reinstall the gears in the 12hp replacement for my 109 machine. ALL comments wellcome.

My recommendation is to loose the grenade and use Dave Kirk's crankshaft balance plate kit. You can have him install it or just buy it and have that local shop tap your crank.

You can find it for his sponsor link above (Kirk engines) and on the list to the right near the bottom. You should find his description pretty funny. The kit is less than $25.

DALE - The "grenade gears" were a bad design from the start, and the small dia. shaft & needle bearings help make them worse.

I had Dave Kirk balance my K321 I rebuilt 7-8 yrs ago with his balance plates and that engine runs very smooth. Smoother in fact than the K241 it replaced.

Dave now sells the parts to balance your engine yorself or have a local machine shop do the work. The kit probably costs less than the price of the new needle bearings for your grenade gears. Check out Dave's website sbove, upper left corner of this page.

FRANK C. - I was being nice.... Nice and sincere. I effectively made a NF GD 14 HP CC, droppng the K321 in my 72. I wanted just a little more HP to pull my lawn vac. Well, I got that for sure. I can pull up the slope of my yard while burning up the mule drive belt due to a plugged discharge chute on my 38" deck and that K321 just won't say "Uncle".

I'd prefer a "148" but IH never made one, and on-board hyd, with dual valves would be nice.

This is for the cc gurus ...i've been doing a lot of reading on here..lots of great info!! My question is this..Where do i get the brass PTO buttons that use locknuts? It looks like they will last a whole longer than the fiber ones and WON'T BREAK. TIA}}

Ron,
CC Specialties. The sponsor link above. It's in the "front PTO" section near the bottom. Listed for $24 and worth every penny!

Next week
thumbsup.gif

Allen, You just let the cat out of the bag. No wonder there is only a few good deals once in a while around here. Charlie cleaned up a long time ago.

Allen S.
One did not survive. It was setting just outside on the north side and the wind was from the south.
It's a shame too, it was the fullest one I had, Grrrrrr

Good Morning, All. Just did a quick Google Search under CC Speicalties Cub Cadet Brass Pto button and came up with this. Click here
happy.gif

Everyone have a wondrful week.

Thanks Marlin,

That's the same thing I said 6 posts down. AND.... Charlie mentioned he's not ready to ship yet anyways. So those in need should look to RF Houtz until after this week.

Looking at putting a loader on either my 582 Hydro or my 149. Cann't quite decide which one. Any thoughts?

HUGH - To answer your question, I'd put the loader on your 149.

NOW... More info needed.. there were two 582,s a 582 with the standard 3-spd Fwd & one reverse IH cast iron trans, and a "582-S" with the Peerless 4-spd. How did your 582 get a hydro?

Latest posts

Back