• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 07, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcmeen

displayname
Bryan D. McMeen, Keeper of the Holy Hy-Tran
Kraig -

Perhaps you can repost the picture of what I did to my QA42A...

Craig -

Here's what I did. Drilled/tapped a 1/4-20 hole somewhere in the path of the belt tightener handle. Tighten the belt to where you want it, then thread a nut on a 1/4-20 bolt (I think I used a 1.5") and screw the bolt into the hole. Use the nut as a jam nut. Now it will only loosen 1/2 a turn at most as the bolt will stop the tightener's movement.

I know others have done this as well.

EDIT - upon further review, it looks like it was originally SB's idea...

Actually it was <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>'s idea that Steve adapted.

79183.jpg

Charlie, I don't think that's up to "Blungineering" standards, what would you call that design?
dunno.gif

I would when it's 32 below and the freakin thing won't stay tight cause I was to lazy to buy a new belt before the snow started flyin!
biggrin.gif

Charlie, What size hole did you drill? Also, do you remember the gauge and length of the wire?
err.gif

I looked for that clip in the CPE-2 a while back for a QA42A and it said for S/N 17275 and above. Where do you find the S/N on a snowthrower? All my throwers have model tags in front of the chute but I have never seen anything that would be the S/N.

Charlie, that's right you were in the Air Force, however I don't think that would fly as a safety wire...

Kraig,
Them's fightin words there buddy!
NO on the Air Force, Now if you wanna talk Air National Guard, I'll be willing to deal.
biggrin.gif

KRAIG - I think Wes & I would agree that YES, You COULD plow with Your 125 and burn a LOT of Art's gasoline. And since it's Art's gasoline Who cares how much You actually plow.
lol.gif

Ahhh, laughed out loud at the Blungineering.

Both solutions are gonna do the job. Charlie's has a certain style that would be most at home in my barn but I think I'll go with the 1/4-20 approach, assuming I get to it before the next snow storm. If not, I'll be looking for a coat hanger and my Makita...

79188.jpg

This is my way. However, I'm still blowing belts. Pulleys are aligned. I've been using generic Gates green belts, made in Mexico. To complicate the situation, I've been trying 1/2"x30" and am now wondering if the CC engineers recommended 31" because the belt needs to take quite a shock sometimes. Kent W. told me he's had good luck with Dayco. I'm thinking there's very few snowthrowers in Mexico! To get back to the original subject, I guess it's pretty well decided that the belt loosens by itself if the tightener won't stay put.
Cubbers Without Borders
wave.gif

That'll be a piece of wire when I put another new belt on. Hate to second guess the
old.gif
more experienced.
lol.gif

P.S. Did you find that "8290" by knowing it's about the only "aluminum casting" on the thrower?
Cubbers Without Borders.
wave.gif

Charlie, what you didnt notice is the ty-wrap is connected to a pull pin on a grenade thats on the inside side-frame. If tighener pulls pin it dumps the blower and t
err.gif
he owner puts on a less troublesome blade ! !

Well just got off the phone with Frank C. i just had to poste a note that is see the drive shaft is wearing on the lift bar . and i think that when he lifts the blower the lift bar is moveing the adjuster on the belt tension handle. i amagine with the many lifts (up & down) that handle is loseing tension on the belt. I also see that the front tire must come into the picture too... My .02 DonT
coffee.gif

got a timeing question, is it true that a kloter engine is static timed at 16 deg btc! if so why can`t i use a gauge on the startergen pulley and find tdc. mark it and turn the engine back 16 deg and set timing. hope you understand what i`am saying its hard without a picture. DonT

<font color="0000ff">Don: Persuant (I've been wanting to use that word) to our conversation, I didn't mention that I ran awhile before noticing that I'd lost the piton (pn-taw) on the right side of the attachment and that it slipped up and away from the Frankenstien bolt on the right. Where am I going with this?
dunno.gif
</font>
I know - -
worthless.gif

Don T, to answer part of your Q. If you found TDC and then marked the starter/Gen pulley and went back 16 degrees(if that is what the timing is).
dunno.gif
I am too tired to
rtfm.gif
That would work one time only, i.e the starter/gen pulley is much smaller that the crankshaft(starter) pulley. Diff size/diameter pulleys run at diff speeds. So.... if you set your timing like that, started the engine, shut it off, and rechecked your marks, they would be off. From my limited experience, timing an engine uses marks related to the crankshaft.

Frank C.
What did you just say??????
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Don T.
I never know what yer talkin about, so I'm still good with you.
beer2.gif

Back