• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 07, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I guess I'm lucky, I just set the points and go for WOT!
I might have to try that timing hole thingy one of these days just to see how well that works.
biggrin.gif

Don T, I reread your post. When I said it would work the first time, I was wrong. I think? If you turned the crankshaft back with a gauge on the S/G pulley you would not get a true reading(pulley size).

If I am wrong, please spank away. I have never timed a Kohler.
bottom.gif

On third thought, as long as the cam/crank is internally correctly timed. Charlie be right.

Being tired and trying to answer Q's, not my strong suit.

Good Night....snore..cub.cub.cub..snore etc......

Ok think of this TDC and retarted 16Deg static. take out the spark plug, turn over eng buy hand. when air comes out around your finger thats the compression stroke. at that time even from the plug hole you should be able to measure 16 Deg back if you know ( stroke and Deg of Crank and piston movement). when years ago i did motercycle engine work there was no timing marks on the crank or the Cam. you had to put the piston on tdc and aline all with the Key in the crank to the cam to the piston.there must be a way to static time a k by this method. if i only knew what deg of crank movement would take place if piston moved 1 " later DonT

Charlie, please accept my apology. Air National Guard it is.
blush.gif

Craig E. "Blungineering" was coined, I believe, by Chris E. to describe Steve Blunier's many excellent customized Cub Cadet projects.

Kraig,

Chris E. picked up "Blungineering" from some of the people I went to school with at Bradley University ....our mechanical engineering senior project involved lots of "Blungineering" to complete....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Thanks for the compliment , BTW
happy.gif

Steve B., you're welcome.
happy.gif
I see we posted at exactly the same time, 10:04. Wonder what the odds of that happening were?
dunno.gif

It has been a long time since I posted here. Somewhere along the line, I must have got deleted. Charlie set me back up and here I am.

Don T,
What are you trying to do? Just set the points?
There are two marks on the flywheel. IIRC there is a "T" for TDC and an "S" for SPARK. If you are static timing, line up the S mark in the hole in the blower housing. Use an ohmmeter or a test light, then slowly open the point gap till they "break" contact.

Personally, I have found the best way, is to set the timing with the engine running about half throttle and use a timing light. I had trouble with my 123 wanting to kick back when starting after I rebuilt it and installed a "cheater" cam.
I had set it perfect with the static method, but it still was kicking back. I checked it with a timing light, and had to change it very slightly, but after that, it started fine with no kick back. The timing light method is also what Kohler suggests as the best way.

Donald T
The timing on a "K" series Kohler is 20 degrees before top dead center. Make it easy on your self and use the timing marks on the flwheel. First mark, SP, is 20 degrees before, second mark, DC is TDC. Center the mark in the hole in the right side of the flywheel cover or the rear bearing plate, depending on which size engine you are working on.

I guess I was wrong on the marks. I must be thinking of how they are marked on the Farmall F-series.
biggrin.gif

Charlie - Your Missouri upbringing is showing down lower on the page ...

Afternoon all. i just found out how important it is to do regular maintence. spent about 15 minutes finding out why the 149 would not start. well after checking everything i came down to the gas cap pluged. just goes to show all that reading of all the poste here sure are a help and always rtfm.have a great day

Charlie-
"Tie wire" sounds like something you would use to close up a loaf of bread so it doesn't get moldy

<font size="-2">(...like you!)</font>
beerchug.gif

Back