Archive through February 07, 2008

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

bmcmeen

displayname
Bryan D. McMeen, Keeper of the Holy Hy-Tran
Kraig -

Perhaps you can repost the picture of what I did to my QA42A...

Craig -

Here's what I did. Drilled/tapped a 1/4-20 hole somewhere in the path of the belt tightener handle. Tighten the belt to where you want it, then thread a nut on a 1/4-20 bolt (I think I used a 1.5") and screw the bolt into the hole. Use the nut as a jam nut. Now it will only loosen 1/2 a turn at most as the bolt will stop the tightener's movement.

I know others have done this as well.

EDIT - upon further review, it looks like it was originally SB's idea...

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Actually it was <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>'s idea that Steve adapted.

79183.jpg

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Charlie, I don't think that's up to "Blungineering" standards, what would you call that design?

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
displayname
Digger
I would when it's 32 below and the freakin thing won't stay tight cause I was to lazy to buy a new belt before the snow started flyin!

jcoughlin

displayname
Jim Coughlin
Charlie, What size hole did you drill? Also, do you remember the gauge and length of the wire?

I looked for that clip in the CPE-2 a while back for a QA42A and it said for S/N 17275 and above. Where do you find the S/N on a snowthrower? All my throwers have model tags in front of the chute but I have never seen anything that would be the S/N.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Charlie, that's right you were in the Air Force, however I don't think that would fly as a safety wire...

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
displayname
Digger
Kraig,
Them's fightin words there buddy!
NO on the Air Force, Now if you wanna talk Air National Guard, I'll be willing to deal.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
KRAIG - I think Wes & I would agree that YES, You COULD plow with Your 125 and burn a LOT of Art's gasoline. And since it's Art's gasoline Who cares how much You actually plow.

cellis

displayname
Craig Ellis
Ahhh, laughed out loud at the Blungineering.

Both solutions are gonna do the job. Charlie's has a certain style that would be most at home in my barn but I think I'll go with the 1/4-20 approach, assuming I get to it before the next snow storm. If not, I'll be looking for a coat hanger and my Makita...

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
79188.jpg

This is my way. However, I'm still blowing belts. Pulleys are aligned. I've been using generic Gates green belts, made in Mexico. To complicate the situation, I've been trying 1/2"x30" and am now wondering if the CC engineers recommended 31" because the belt needs to take quite a shock sometimes. Kent W. told me he's had good luck with Dayco. I'm thinking there's very few snowthrowers in Mexico! To get back to the original subject, I guess it's pretty well decided that the belt loosens by itself if the tightener won't stay put.
Cubbers Without Borders

fcurrier

displayname
That'll be a piece of wire when I put another new belt on. Hate to second guess the
more experienced.

P.S. Did you find that "8290" by knowing it's about the only "aluminum casting" on the thrower?
Cubbers Without Borders.

displayname
Allen Schumacher
Charlie, what you didnt notice is the ty-wrap is connected to a pull pin on a grenade thats on the inside side-frame. If tighener pulls pin it dumps the blower and t
he owner puts on a less troublesome blade ! !

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Well just got off the phone with Frank C. i just had to poste a note that is see the drive shaft is wearing on the lift bar . and i think that when he lifts the blower the lift bar is moveing the adjuster on the belt tension handle. i amagine with the many lifts (up & down) that handle is loseing tension on the belt. I also see that the front tire must come into the picture too... My .02 DonT

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
got a timeing question, is it true that a kloter engine is static timed at 16 deg btc! if so why can`t i use a gauge on the startergen pulley and find tdc. mark it and turn the engine back 16 deg and set timing. hope you understand what i`am saying its hard without a picture. DonT

fcurrier

displayname
<font color="0000ff">Don: Persuant (I've been wanting to use that word) to our conversation, I didn't mention that I ran awhile before noticing that I'd lost the piton (pn-taw) on the right side of the attachment and that it slipped up and away from the Frankenstien bolt on the right. Where am I going with this?
</font>
I know - -

theaton

displayname
Todd Heaton
Don T, to answer part of your Q. If you found TDC and then marked the starter/Gen pulley and went back 16 degrees(if that is what the timing is).
I am too tired to
That would work one time only, i.e the starter/gen pulley is much smaller that the crankshaft(starter) pulley. Diff size/diameter pulleys run at diff speeds. So.... if you set your timing like that, started the engine, shut it off, and rechecked your marks, they would be off. From my limited experience, timing an engine uses marks related to the crankshaft.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
displayname
Digger
Frank C.
What did you just say??????

Don T.
I never know what yer talkin about, so I'm still good with you.

Latest posts