• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 05, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glippert

displayname
Greg Lippert
Ron S - Great description of the cork gasket replacement process. I've got it saved for future reference. What a great forum!

Greg, I second that.
greenthumb.gif

The reason I used a sealer on the cork gasket? refer to the previous picture (before the one say it was OPTIONAL) and note the difference in thickness between the old gasket- .030 and the new one - .070. I knew the new one was a composite, but if the cork thinned out on the old one, the new on might after another 30 years.
Beside - this isn't a rocker cover on a small block Chevy (and some of them I used to seal BOTH sides of the gasket too), how often to you plan on taking that pump off ??
1a_scratchhead.gif

Gerry, Keith noted that you had mentioned the gasket sealer as optional in your write up (Excellent write up, especially with all the photos,
bouncy.gif
) but he was asking for additional thoughts on the subject.

That gasket is a one-time use item and is likely permanently compressed the first time you torque the bolts. It isn't going to return to its original thickness once the bolts attaching the hydro unit to the rearend are loosened.

Gerry...hopefully this will be a first and last time I wind up having to take the pump off! Seriously considered not even bothering (I mean, it's been a slow leak now for around 20 years) but I always worried about it possibly getting worse. And, I'm always (most of the time) up for a mechanical challenge with this old Cub, so thought it'd be worth doing.

Kraig et al... I was responding with my reasons (IIRC) for sealing the other side of the gasket. I'll wait until after my first cup of java next time..

Matt.. and the reason for the original gasket leaking eventually. The bolts were all tight, but that gasket was soaked on both sides. I'm guessing the original cork gasket didn't have any stickum' on either side. I'm still waiting for any reason not to seal both sides.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Lots of good advise on the process, I guess it might be time for an addendum; I wrote lots of procedure manuals back in the day, most of them covered "everything" up until the point someone used them...
bash.gif

You will most likely find the original gasket squashed really this and stretched to the point of distortion and wonder how it ever sealed in the first place.

Keith - I laughed when I read your comments about a slow leaker and whether to change the gasket. My 129 "spotted" for about 20 years and I too kept putting wrenches to the external pipe. I'm lucky that in the end I didn't ruin one of the fittings over tightening them.

My project for the summer is to take all the hydraulics plumbing off the 149 and move the lift and all over to the 129. Might even take pictures.
My biggest hangup is concern over the pump on the 149 since other than rolling it off the trailer, I don't have much feel for the condition. I know the lift worked, that's about it. I remember Don T taking a pump apart. Remember that, Digger? ........
I then might consider getting the K 321 rebuilt, if I can find someone I trust.

Kraig,
Do you have any photos of the cub cadet Original with the 6 speed creeper gear? Or is it 9 speed? I’ve heard these were produced, not many though. Is this true?

And temperature here in Arkansas is 18 degrees!

Justin, the M&W 9 Speed, yes I have some. I'll sort through and find some good ones to post.

Justin, not sure how many were produced, I do know they are hard to find. Lets start with the brochure/data sheet:

324622.jpg

Here's some photos of an Original with M&W that Mike Masheris had.

324631.jpg

324632.jpg

324633.jpg

324634.jpg

Mike, you slipped in there while I was sorting...
happy.gif
greenthumb.gif

Here's a couple that Charlie posted some time back:

324638.jpg

324639.jpg

Here's a post from the archive of the forum Classifieds:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Matthew T Kreek (Mkreek) on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 08:12 pm:

324641.jpg

M&W 9 Speed for Cub Originals. Asking $4000.00 + Shipping & Handling. It's currently attached to the tractor, shifts and moves in ever gear. Once paid for I will un-install and ship it to you. E-mail:<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">And it sold almost instantly and at ^^^ THAT PRICE! ^^^</font>

Mike, was this when William (RIP) bought the M&W Original from you?

324643.jpg

Back