• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 01, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoffman

displayname
Tom Hoffman
From the mouth(fingers) of Hydo Harry...."When I finally found a QA42A thrower it was a whole different dream and the only way to go as far as I'm concerned." Well now we have something we can agree on. Now to get him to the other side of transmissions.

David S:
There were pics around someplace back in the dark ages of repairing that shifter.. I thought there was a FAQ, but didn't see it in looking just now. Maybe Kraig can did up the pics I'm remembering....

Don T - you may have forgotten that hydraulic cylinder actually came from my son in CT. He's found at least 3 54" blades, 2 with hydraulics in the last 5 years. Back in the day it took me 10 years to find my first one. Most of those years were before the internet when all we had was newspapers and word of mouth, and the dealer wanted $500 for just the bare 54" blade without the cutting edge which I just couldn't go for. When I did find mine it felt like finding GOLD and I sure babied it - cost me $150. Think I made money when I did sell it before I moved out here, that is if you don't count the paint, decal and labor time (nobody counts that do they? That's the fun part everybody pays for.)

Tom H - geez, there are probably more things than you realize. As for those gear grinders, you obviously know there were some early years you had no choice. For instance, back in '64 when Diana Shore was seeing the U.S.A. in her Chev-ro-let, you had a choice between the 70 and 100. Now that Model 100 with fenders and a stick between your legs that you pull yank and grind, has to be THE all time Classic Cub Cadet. I'm thinking there has been a few in and out of your stable. I've got one set aside for me 3000 miles away, so that if I'm still alive when I retire I'll have me one - and the older I get the more I'll grind them gears - HEEEHAWWW!!!

Harry look back at a post by Todd Heaton on Feb. 09 2009. He posted a picture of the two dipsticks side by side.

Hydro Harry said, "Now that Model 100 with fenders and a stick between your legs that you pull yank and grind,"

Me thinks Harry needs a driving lesson on gear drives.
Shift.gif

Back when I suscribed to 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine 30+ yrs ago, they had a feature editor named Grandby I think his name was, old desert rat with a Jeep CJ-2 out in the barren south-west hills, which was only available with a manual trans, couple gears were even "Synchronized", and he always preached to "Drive with GRACE and Style". You can bet he knew how to "Double-Clutch" and drive smoothly with style. He was preaching to the Choir with me, I'd been driving like that since I was 8-9 yrs old.

Last nights news lady is saying 10"-12" inches of snow on tuesday/wednesday and 24", yes 24" this weekend! HOLY S**T!

TOM - Wife saw yesterday aft. about the BIG one next weekend, the local weather-guessers are thinking the Tuesday storm up here will be another 2-4 inches for us. But the NWS map she saw for next weekend we were in the 12-18 inch zone.

When SON moved to Davenport IA he got us starting to watch Terry Swails, chief meteorologist for WQAD, Channel 8 in Moline. He predicts these big winter storms with about twice the accuracy of anyone else. http://tswails.com/

Tom, You must have been watching Fox 32 last night. The next two storms will be crushers. We already have no place to put the snow. I better put a blower on a cub today.
Jim D, more like quarters from heaven.

Not trying to pour salt in the wound but ole Punxsutawney Phil says we're getting 6 more weeks of this happy crap.

Anyone ever hit a ground hog hole with the front tire of a cub???

Wayne, yes I have and it blew out my already weak wheel bearing

Okay. To take all the guys struggling to get through this danged long winter... CLICK HERE & SCROLL DOWN. This should help take some of the winter woes away as it did in 2007.
happy.gif
check out... By ken mchone (Kmchone) on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:03 pm: A couple of more pics below that one.

Kraig,

I saw your post on the metal chips. First thing to go on an engine when run low on oil is usually the conrod crankpin bearing, which in your Kohler is the aluminum rod material. This would result in a grey appearance in the oil when you drained the residual out of the crankcase. If the oil still had an amber color and no traces of grey streaks, no damage was done.

Here is a test you can do. Start and warm up the engine. Shut off and then rotate the engine backwards (by hand) until the piston is half-way up in the cylinder, or about 45 degrees of backward rotation of the crankshaft, until resistance is felt (compression). This actually puts the piston in the power stroke position, but both valves are closed and the cylinder is sealed, providing resistance to piston movement. Now gently rock the crankshaft back and forth and see if you feel anything like excessive clearance in the crankpin bearing. You might want to slacken the SG belt to get a bit less rotational friction. If the bearing is destructing, you can feel (and in worst cases hear)the excessive clearance.

On your next oil change, look for grey traces in the oil. A few ferrous metal chips stuck to the magnetic plug is nothing to worry about. Let me know how the above-recommended test turns out.

Dave

Kraig,

Just thought of something else - when the dip stick blew out, it could have grazed the rotating camshaft gear, which is turning in a direction to pull the stick back down onto the seat. In going by the gear teeth, some "machining" could have taken place, accounting for the metal chips you saw. We're all assuming that the stick launched like a Saturn V rocket, but it could have gently blown out and rattled around for a few revs before departure. The metal is most likely from the dip stick - look for this when you retrieve it from Art's yard.

Dave

Good Gravy I've never had that type of Cub Cadet seat before! Do you sell them Charlie?
jawdrop.gif

Farmall-land usa in Avoca IA is a must do road-trip. My son and I had a blast. And picked up a roller with a creeper in NE
bouncy.gif

283309.jpg

DAVE, KRAIG - Depending on how tight the dip stick sealed when installed, meaning it could have taken a bit of pressure to finally blow it out, it may have just popped out and rattled around still in the tube for a while before finally bouncing out. It could have bounced against the cam gear quite a bit.

Another thing you could do, is send an oil sample in for analysis. I run OA on my PSD about every 10,000 miles, sample kit costs $15-$20 at my local Ford dealer, it's from FABCO in Green Bay. They test for ALL wear metals, silicon, antifreeze which you shouldn't have, diesel fuel or gasoline, probably 20 different things.
I bet an ag equip. or construction equip. dealer has them too.

Back