• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 31, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello again all. So far the set screw is winning. I picked the dirt and crud out of the screw head. Using a fresh 1/8 allen wrench, I tried the aluminum foil trick. No dice. Next I tried, beating the wrench in to "seat" it. again, no dice. I guess it's looking like I need to drill and easy out. Someone said using a carbide drill. I'm going for it. After I get the pto clutch free from the hellish grip of the last set screw, what should I expect? Will it slide off with the the big pulley behind it? The manual isn't very detailed. The whole pto dis-assembly thing is just a few paragraphs. Thanks for any advice. Dan

Dan-
There are many ways to remove the PTO once you get the last set-screw out, but it will not just "slide off" the crankshaft. The big pulley behind it will stay on the crank as it is fastened with two set screws of it's own.

Some guys use a puller, but when that doesn't work, others will use the "chain method" which is to tightly wrap a small chain in the belt groove and secure it with a bolt through one of it's own links. Then attach the other end of the chain to a stationary object like the trailer hitch of a vehicle and slowly roll the Cub backward until the chain almost tightens and give it one good "pop". It'll usually come flying off in a hurry like that, but part of me thinks that you're not doing the engine any favors like this even though it will get the PTO off.

Good luck and remember to keep the drill-speed slow...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Hope averyone had a safe eve with lots to eat and drink.
I wonder whats gone wrong with the weather?
When a guy lives in the Great White North, his biggest problem should be to keep his tractor and thrower working. I haven't had to even start my 782 in the last two weeks. What was the use in getting that pretty red cab if old man winter is dead... Have a good day guys. Kent Wood
14781.jpg

Keith, Tom, thanks for the additional tire info.

Dan, before you try to drill out that set screw...... have you used any penetrating oil on it? My favorite is PB Blaster, I've also had decent luck with Liquid Wrench, other's have had good luck with other brands, Kroil is another that comes to mind. If you have not yet done it give it a good soaking and let it set for a while, hours not minutes, perhaps giving it a couple of the "soakings and let it set" cycles.

Ronald, welcome. Are you asking for opinions on your 126?

Ron A:
Bryan McMeen is always willing to offer his opinion on the "majestic" looks of the 126 and it's stablemates..... (Go for it, Bryan, the door's open!) Now, personally, I'm a WF kind of guy. The NF configuration limits the size of engine you can stuff in there without performing major reconstructive surgery.

Kraig:
You're welcome. I'm going to get the wheels cleaned up, some weights mounted and then get them on the 1000 - then I'll take and post a pic.

Kent W:
Be patient, I'll bet you'll get to use that nice outfit yet this year.

SHIRTMAN - Broken leaf springs are actually pretty common, They bend, therefore they break. I had an '87 F-150 that sure seemed to like to break leaves. DOT reg's say no more than 25% of the leaves can be cracked or broken in a stack. That makes a good argument in favor of multileaf springs as opposed to mono-leaf springs.
DAN M. - Might want to try a little heat on that setscrew. Propane torch would be about right. Might let a little bit of the penetrating oil get to where it does some good. Chase the threads good when You get it out, coat a NEW setscrew with a little anti-seize.
KENT - Ole' Man Winter isn't dead.... He's just building up His Strength!

Snow???? Snow??? What's snow, precious???????

I think that a Zig is better then a Zig-zag.....
'nough said.

How many are hung over this lovely morning????
proud.gif

Tedd,
I'm working on a "Zig" now. Not sure if it's going back to original or modified. What's a good time tommorrow?

Any time after 8 am....

I an toying with the idea of puting a 100 grill and hood on the 123. If I can get permission from Cody. He wants me to paint it blue and white...

Keith E. -

Who, me? I'd actually prefer the 147, what with that lovely afterthought notch in the frame to offset the crooked grille
lol.gif

Yeah, gimme them wide frames anytime...

Tom -

Sure seems like it...

I think Julie & I are headed just over the cheddar curtain this AM...

Ahem, Tom, Bryan, please note that this is my third post this morning. BTW, I'm well north of the cheddar curtain.

Wyatt, did you know that you bounced the front of your 169 several inches off of the ground when you hit that cross furrow at Plow Day V6? I'll be capturing some video of it this weekend for Charlie to post. :eek:)

Dennis:

Not quite true. The main spring cannot be cracked. That will get you an out of service. Had that happen to one of my road tractors in the 80's in Ohio. They will allow 25% of the other springs but not the main with the eyes on them.

Who makes the best repalcement seat cushion for a wide frame?

Also, on the back if the grill frame on my 147, there are two half round notches there and the front headlight bezel bolts on here,(over the half round noches) what are the notches for?

Kraig:

How did you like the unpacking/assembly instruction sheet?

Finally got my wife's 1200's engine rebuilt. Now the other half can mow in style again. The 1200 is her personnal mower and she was not happy when it quit running.

Huh? I thought I had toned down my "airborne adventures" . . . .

Frank-
FWIW when I bought the low-back seat I really wish I would have bought a high-back seat.

Latest posts

Back