• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 30, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfunk

displayname
Paul E. Funk
Mike F., I tried to email you some time ago and wish you well with your health problems but I couldn't get the email in your profile to work. Sounds like you're doing ok.

Dominic,
What in the world are you doing to your poor 982? My 782 has 150 lbs hanging from the foot rests, 150 lbs on the tires, 120 lbs off the back, and my <ahem> 350+ lbs in the seat, and I haven't yet had the misfortune of breaking an axle. (And tilling is actually pretty low stress on the axles. Strange...) Bad bearings? Incorrect backspacing on the rims? Improperly mounted axle housing? I've only heard of an axle breaking in severe situations, so there must be something wrong with the rear end. (Besides the broken axle, of course.)
happy.gif
Where was the break on the last axle, next to the splines, the hub, or somewhere else?

hey guys how can i tell which 42" blade i need to fit an original i see different ones but i'm not sure what is right.any help would be great..
thanks in advance

Dominic,

Is it possible that you could post pictures of where these axles are breaking? We maybe better able to help you troubleshoot if we could see what it is that's going on. Is it outside the axle or at the splines, either way something sounds seriously out of place here.

Good luck

Thanks for reply Ross. The axles are breaking next to the splines. I had it fixed at Titan Machinery the last time so they should have noticed bad bearings, allignment, etc... Everything else seems good but I am no expert on these tractors. When it is working it sure hauls the mail if you know what I mean. Love the sound of that dual exhaust when you start working it a little. Well hopefully have an answer soon on a replacement axle so I can use my snowblower attachment. Thanks Will keep you posted. Dominic

Don't have pictures right now Brian. They have broke near splines. Will wait and see if Titan will cover anything before I tear it apart anymore. More info to come. Dominic

Andrew Coffey. If you need a manual lift unit from a 73, it happens that I just took one off mine. E-mail me if you need it. I just fixed my addy in the profile. Paul Funk, great to hear from you, hope alls well. The fleet is lookin' good!

DOMINIC - Sorry to hear about Your problems with Your 982. There's only been one other person have problems breaking axles on a 982. I suspect Your first axle broke right next to the splined end where it slips inside the side gears in the differential. I strongly suspect You broke the other axle, not the one You replaced last summer. There is a stronger axle available that fits 982's with some modifications. There's been at least two people do the modifications I know of to make the switch. I'm 90+% sure Art A. has done this. Mike Masheris is the other person. You need both axles and a complete differential assembly from I think it's a 2072. If I remember right it's a little larger in diameter and finer splined. The ring gear from Your 982's diff. has to be attached to the diff. from the donor tractor and the axles from the donor tractor slide right in. The side gears in the donor diff. housing have the larger bore & finer splines to accept the axles, but the axle carrier bearings on the outboard ends of the axles are the same so Your current axle carriers can be reused without change. There's no change to the outboard disc brakes because the axles are the same length and the disc brake rotors are the same.

I agree with Ross, a tiller doesn't really pull hard, the tractor actually holds the tiller back. I've moldboard plowed a couple times with My 982, One time while making a couple passes in the corner of the corn field next to My shop to get the plow setup correctly I was trying to lift the plow out of the ground while pulling forward and finally realized the front wheels of the tractor were over a foot off the ground. I wondered why it was steering so easy. With the bigger tires, 26-12.00 X 12's, lugged tires, and some added weight to the rearend, about 75# per side and a Hydro with a 20 HP Onan in front of it You can build up a LOT of torque on the rear end.

All the best to all with there yellow fever in 2009,I wish you and yours a great 2009 and the best year for all. Now off for some cheer. I did score a rear sweeper and a 54" snow blade yesterday. all in great shape,the blade looks like it was used about 3 times. all For $60.00.My year will be great and soon i`ll bring home the Mott Flail mower and IH Cart. so have a great day.
Charlie parts order next week. Just a question guys can this part for the pto #20 be bought alone.
112336.jpg

thanks for all your help in 2008. Later Don T
old.gif

i have a 982 with a bad valve seed does all 982s have two break peddals i got it this past summer it needs some work i paid 400 for it was that to much with a bad motor

Steve M. Welcome to IHCUBCADET.COM. Steering brakes were an option on 982's. As were the Cat. 0 three-point hitch, rear PTO and aux. frt Hydraulic outlets. Supposedly all those options were a "Package Deal" so since You have the steering brakes You should have the rest correct? There actually aren't too many that I've ever seen without the brakes, 3-pt, rear PTO & aux. hyd. but they do exist.

I'm not exactly a "FAN" of the 20 HP Onan, they're getting real hard to find parts for and Nothing I've ever found for those engines is/was cheap. On the pulling forum here there were some posts about a year ago about dropping a Generac engine into them, or a Honda, Briggs & Scrapiron, maybe even a Kohler twin if You want to spend the $$$$$.

If the tractor itself is in decent shape, with all the options, paint, sheetmetal, tires all O-K $400 was a bargain.

someone took the 3 point an it does have a rear pto sheet metal is all good its fadded but good the tires are good i had to put a grill in it i had it so it was no big deal i have a 17 hp k series in it know untill i get the motor back togeather

i also just got an orginal for a trade to put a jd back togeather for a guy its a 1961 an has the 2 speed rear i need a grill casting for it i rebuilt the carb an got it running real good i plow snow with it till spring then i'm gonna try to mow the yard with it

Donald.I do believe the clutch disc is available seperately.I was talking to Brian Millar yesterday and he rebuilds these clutches with new parts so the disc must be available.K.W.

Keith W, thanks i`ll get in touch and see what he tells me ,thanks
Steve M , I used my O for mowing and it did a great job and did i say it sipped gas.

Later Don T

HAPPY NEW YEAR
old.gif

Donald,

I believe the PTO clutch disc comes in a rebuild kit that includes the disc (#20), the triangular metal piece (#17), three rattle clips (#22) and a PTO clutch adjusting tool.

Bruce

Dan Glen: Your bracket is southbound, but not likely fast enough to be there before your next snow. I'm reproducing your pic from Comings and Goings here in the main forum, and also taking this chance to wish everyone here a safe New Year's Eve and a great 2009.
shame.gif
beerchug.gif
Shift.gif
thumbsup_old.gif

112362.jpg

have a happy and safe new-year's eve! got the 71 going today...[carb. adjustments] but quit after was hot. would too much oil in the case cause this? going to try mm-oil.

Back