• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 29, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about side guards for trailers... I like the tailgate and the sides on my 16.5'. Now please don't show this pic to Art, I dont' want to go through all the deal about how the trailer was not loaded properly, and how the back of it sags, and how the receiver may not be strong enough(10,000lbs) etc. etc. etc. All over again.
biggrin.gif

14752.jpg

Steve B. FWIW, My dad bought one for me for Christmas. So I haven't had the opportunity to try it. But he swears by it. He went on and on and on about how good it does.

News for some??....the friendly boys and girls at the US DOT have new rules in effect for hauling machinery on trailers.(effective Jan 1, 2004) A MINIMUM of 4 tie downs must now be used for each item/vehicle being hauled. These must keep the machine from moving (basically) in any direction.

I'm not sure if this applies the lil trailers (under 10K) but it defineatley does for tractors, Bobacts and CAT equipment going on the road. Maybe one of our "legal eagles" here can find out....

Well, back from my extended weekend, my grandmother passed Christmas day and her funeral was this morning. Had lots of long conversation with Grandpa, talked about farming and all the machinery he bought, showed him some plow day pictures, then went out and looked at a Little Genius 2-14 setup and what he then told me is now MY Farmall . . . . FSH 13183. It's pretty special, it's the first tractor he ever bought new. The engine's locked up on account of sitting outside for 20-30 years, but it's all there . . and the sheetmetal sat inside the machine shed.

Denny . . . . we're BOTH gonna need a big sandblaster!

.......Oh to be a chain binder salesman after 1/1/04......

That new law hit us pretty hard at work, no more single chains and binders thru the tie-down ring on the front/rear of the backhoes.....so much for learning how to make a good chain "hitch" to keep the side-to-side motion under control.

BTW, under that new law tarp straps and bungee cords are for tarps only and don't count as tie-downs...that's where all of the 1" nylon straps come in, seems they are the new std. for securing small loads in truck beds/trailers, etc.

This may be a dumb question, but is this law a law for all of the states?

My understanding is that it is Fed. DOT, and that is directly applies to all DOT inspected trucks/loads........(my take on it from the safety meeting we had at work)

I would guess (but I don't know for sure) that it would not DIRECTLY apply to a 3,500# trailer behind a pickup, BUT that it would be INDIRECTLY applied to every load that passed a state cop or Secretary of State DOT inspector on the road......they have every right to pull you over for an "unsafe" load and there's a lot of interpretation room there.

I guess it never hurts to mimic the tie-down rules on a smaller scale for our machines, it's safe and absolutely legal then.

Jeez Bryan....What, are they making RED BULL in a 20oz now?...
lol.gif

Charlie-
Thanks for the picture of the "power pull" as you called it. Up here we've always referred to them as "come-alongs", so for awhile there I didn't know what you were talking about. Now tell us more about that truck picture...

Ken/Steve-
Thanks for the updates on the new DOT rules. Dad's been harping on me to ditch the TWO 10,000 straps I have holding down my off topic loader tractor with the Gannon hanging on the back. Since the whole package weighs about #2,500 I figured I'd be good with two #10,000 straps, but I bet I could generate more than #10,000 of pulling force in a panic stop/accident situation. Better "buck up" and get the chain and binders!

Wyatt-
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. On the brighter side, congrats on the Farmall!

Jeff-
I think you have one safety chain that's a little too long on that trailer!
;-)

Steve/Ken-
Any other major towing changes via the Feds this year that my #8,000 boat needs to know about? 'Course, I'm already 3" over-wide, so maybe the rest of the rules don't matter anyway..

Does anyone have any info where exaclty the headlight switch goes on a 100? I am converting a couple of tractors to get headlights and I don't have one with the factory hole for the switch. And to keep with the topic I've been known to use way to many 2" straps on anything I haul.

Thanks
Scott

(Message edited by scroonquist on December 29, 2003)

Scott C. -

14755.jpg

There IS no factory hole for the switch.

wyatt
sorry to here of your grandmothers passing.
try to keep your spirits up!

Travis - Sorry to hear of your misfortune on I-80. At least they didn't "tag" you for an "Unsecure Load". Looks like Taylor was having fun with the "Spy Cam"

Charlie - Ya forgot to mention one of your pattened tractor hold down methods that I've seen ya use and I've used too.

Wyatt, sorry to hear about your grandmother passing. Take good care of that Farmall, does the Capri now take a back seat? I guess I'd better get that round TUIT out in the mail........

I heard last night that one of my cousins, the one that has a rather large collection of <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> tractors, had a heart attack. He's in the hospital now, they put in a stint. He's not a happy camper, hates hospitals, but at least he's alive. He's going to have a hard time adjusting to a new diet.

Frank, yes it arrived on Saturday. Thanks, I'll try to get it processed and returned in a timely fashion.

I guess I'd better get those tie downs installed in the horse trailer.......

Would sure like to hear more on the tiedoun issue. I am getting a lot of towing time plowing snow out here. Have been using one strap on the front and one at the rear. No trouble yet. Did have someone rearend the trailer once, 4"channel iron and plastic nose did not mix well.

Thanks for the comments, I'm doing just fine. It wasn't sudden or anything, she had been battling cancer for 3 years now. For the past few months my Grandfather had been moving her around all by himself, which I couldn't imagine him moving her around, lifting and all. I could only hope I have that much energy and ability when I reach that age.

Kraig-
The Capri takes a backseat to nothing other than space . . . it's probably coming home today in fact; for me to finish plumbing the brakes. After that I'll begin work on checking the engine out and buttoning it back up, tear the transmission and wire harness out of the T-bird donor and maybe get things going with that. At the same time I'd like to finish the Wheatland. The Super H sat for 30 years, one or two more won't hurt, though I would like to fix the engine and at least get it to a working status before it gets paint.

Art,

Or just put 2 more heavy straps on it.
happy.gif

I don't have any issues with straps at all, provided that they are used correctly and are in good condition.

What gets me is all the yay-hoos running around with skid steers on small trailers with ZERO chains, or one loose chain over the bucket.......scary, and I saw one come off that way too!!!! (not me)

BTW, I bought a Drill Doctor 400 this AM...WOW!!!!! They do work, and well!!!!!

Do the Drill Doctors only work for 118° bits or do they have 135° models too. I just bought a set of 135° nitrided bits and with some of the stuff I've been doing I've dulled a couple already. After switching to 135° split points I really hate to go back.

Back