• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 29, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfunk

displayname
Paul E. Funk
R. Yates, make sure you have the three springs on the clutch studs. They help hold the clutch plate centered when the clutch is disengaged. I've also had worn drive shafts create that problem. I think the worn shaft must let the clutch mechanism drop off center when the clutch is disengaged. Then, when you engage the clutch with everything off centered it wobbles and makes a terrible racket.

Wyatt, ummm, will you get an employee discount? :eek:)

At least my strap that got cut on the way to PDV6 was a redundant strap (and other than a few of my straps there wasn't any of my equipment on the trailer). My brother always gives me a hard time for putting so many straps on stuff. I guess that makes sense, he's a parts manager at a JD dealership, kind of the black sheep of the family.

I hear you on the "cut" straps...
I have had to stop at a local Wally world or other store to pick up replacement straps
sad.gif
during a trip. Kind of cuts into the trip budget.

It is hard to try strapping down a load when the pressure to be out on time is there, or your just tired and want to get on the road....

Tedd, I bring along a "Bucket-O-Straps". There never seems to be enough straps to go around when I ride with Art. :eek:)

On the other hand when I hauled my AC620 to the WFM Spring Tillage day I didn't use a single strap. The 4 place horse trailer that I used didn't have any tie downs located where they would have done any good, but then there wasn't any any where for it to go. If I were to make a habit of hauling it in that trailer I would install tie downs.

Travis, sorry to hear about the straps and loss. Especially after the thousands of parts and tractors you've hauled without incident.
(Now if you are a Vikings fan, you're aware their straps break quite often!)

I have the "Box-O-straps" version going now.
wink.gif
Still as you said "...never seems to be enough straps to go around..."

On that note....
Yes I'm keeping my shorts on and my jets cool, but is there any thoughts to a spring gathering of some sort yet. I remember that there were a few different groups here trying to get something going...... Just wondering, now that I have some vacation days agian.
happy.gif

Bryan, reminded me of these photos. I'll let him tell the story. Please note that it is NOT Bryan's Original!

14733.jpg

14734.jpg

Thanks Kraig - was I even close with the dates??

I'm sure a few of you had seen that Original hiding out at Dan's (no, it's not his tractor, either) - it is the result of being tossed about in an enclosed trailer that flipped. I'm pretty sure that the JD patio that was in there with it fared worse
wink.gif

So just cuz ya have walls or a roof doesn't mean you shouldn't secure your load properly.

Straps:

Northern Hyd. carries some very nice HEAVY straps, at reasonable prices.....about $12 for a 6000# 1-1/4"x15' ratcheting style.....heavy web. I try to use these whenever possible.

To keep the big straps and all of the little 1" ratchet straps organized I bought an el-cheap-o plastic tool box at Wally World. It fits in my truck's cross box and holds all of my straps in the bottom and all of my bungee cords in the top tray. I can pull the whole thing out and set it on the trailer tongue to load/unload, then throw it right back in the cross box when I'm done so they will always be there. It's a system that has worked well for me.

NOrthern Hyd. also has good deals on recessed tie-down rings, 5000# folding rings 4ea. for $20...hard to beat and they work great!!!!! Trailer has 8 of those and about 30ea. 1200# D-rings welded everywhere (at least every where EXCEPT where you REALLY need one
happy.gif
) Like Kraig said, nothing worse than nowhere to hook to.

Bryan,
That's true, BUT! Cubs don't fall off with sides. Now if ya flip it over! Bend over and kiss yer Butt/Cubs goodbye anyway, grin

Tool Question:

Does anyone on here own a Drill Doctor brand drill bit sharpener, specifically the model DD250 or DD400 (about $75)??????

If so, does it work as advertised?????
Is it easy to use and get good results????

Considering purchasing one, but would like some feedback first.

Thanks.

Charlie -

In other words, you're willing to bet your Cubs that it will NEVER happen to you?
wink.gif

Bryan,
I think you missed somethin in my first post!
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Powerpulls with steel cable or nothin for me! <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
And it has! ONCE!
14736.jpg

But I thought we were talkin about open trailers and stuff fallin off the sides when the straps broke and not flippin hind end over appetite!

Steve B. I have the Drill Doctor 500, which has the owner replaceable sharpening wheel. Works great! I am going to get the 1/2-3/4 chuck for it and it will then be the model 750. The Drill Doctor Store @ drilldoctor.com can answer all the questions you may have. Did some concrete bits yesterday. Couldn't ask for anything more. You can watch all the video instructions on-line, to see the internal workings of the unit. The best unit for my needs that I have found.

Bryan, having a top and sides may not prevent damage to the tractors, BUT I was fortunate that no one hit the tractors when they came off. It's less likely they would have been laying on I-80 if it were enclosed. Damaged tractors can be replaced, lives can't.

I was watching real close in my mirror as there was a motorcycle tailgating me. I thought it was odd that he pulled out and took off, but didn't realize what was happening. The road is sooo bad through there that none of the 5 of us knew it happened until a lady flagged us down.

Oops, I went back and re-read that last post. I'm not tryin' to drill Bryan as the post might suggest, I am just happy that it didn't turn out worse than it did.

steve B i have had a drill doctor for about 6years now it works great, one thing to keep in mind is to keep it clean of all metal filings. i had loan mine to a friend and came back full of metal and the jig thats holds the drill bit while you turn it with you hand now binds up a little and can't seem to get to turn right still works though just have to go slow.its done a s@#$ load of drills and the diamond wheel still looks like new.

Travis: Glad nobody was hurt. My son loaded the 2182 up last winter to go to his house to blow snow. Turned onto hiway 30, about a mile from the house and unloaded it right in the middle of both lanes. Was only going 10 mph. Snapped all 4 straps. We now use 10,000 lb. heavy equipment straps. The lucky part was, I was right behind him, and had someone with me. I jumped out of my truck, hopped on the tractor, and drove it to my usual coffee stop and loaded it back on the trailer. Nothing hurt. Overbuild and overstrap. Can't hurt anything!

I just found out that Taylor was in the truck snapping pics with his little "spy camera". I'll post some better ones later.
14740.jpg

Latest posts

Back