• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 27, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<font color="0000ff">{quote by Don Tanner --I did surprise me that IH had two casting for the rear ends.I have seen the indent where the vent would be on my gear drives and thought they were just plugged instead of vented.</font>}

As a machinist, this is very easy to explain. They had ONE casting and TWO blueprints. One print with vent for Hydros and another without the vent for gear drive.

Additional machining costs money so if it's not needed, it doesn't get done.

Jeff

Standard castings with different machining is very common, we do this at work all the time. I have a CI 3 speed with 3 holes 2 are tapped one blank.

what is the correct spark plug for a K-181?The FAQ under # 11 Kohler specs is RCJ8
FAQ under # 10 spark plugs & Ignition its J8C
which is correct?
thanks in advance

Jeff,

In this case it was really 2 different castings, as the hydro and gear drive transaxles are very different from the pinion gear forward. However, your point rings true in that just because the back 1/2 of the casting is the same, it doesn't have to be machined the same. In fact, the indention in the casting probably was there specifically to save tooling wear...why drill it all the way through, when you can cast it 3/4 of the way through!

A friend of mine picked up a 149 with a 54" snow plow. He wants to put a power angle set up on it.
What is the best way to run the hydralics? Off the transmission or a seperate source.

Melody,

Using the existing is probably easiest. A diverter/splitter valve could be installed to use one lever for both functions (independantly), or the dual hyd set up off of a 1650 can be used with a little modification to the steering pedestal of the 149.

i have doen a dual hyd. 149 conversion, using a surplus valve and making the required parts. I can send him pics if he'd like.

Steve B, I forgot it has hydralic lift already so the splitter valve sounds like the easyest way to go. Thanks

Don Tanner & Matt G.
Thank you. I'm sorry for the confusion. I know what I wanted to say, but couldn't write it down right.

Yes the bearings have seals inserted on them. I didn't think they should be there. It must not have been run much after these were installed, because I don't see scorched oil, etc. I have new seals, and bearings for when I start to re-assemble.

Thanks again for your help. I want to do this right the first time, this has helped a lot.

Mike

Back