• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gotten way behind on my 169 restoration project and I need to do some painting during cold weather. How does the cold effect painting? Someone told me that it just took longer to dry. Some advice please!!!Thanks

Don T - thanks re oil leak, mine is the 102, not Hydro, since I dismantled to refurbish, after I run it it drips a bit, tracked an oil run forn up high on the gearbox. Not enough to cause trouble, yet, just a nuisance, because it does not get much work. I need to remove seat etc. & have a look. The main gasket probably did not seal properly, even tho only partly loosened by the several bolts that had to be removed for cosmetic dismantling. Will get to it some day & hopefully make an easy fix.

218710.jpg

About Mid-day here, Tues. 28 Dec, 17C heading for 21C. if you put your binoculars towards SE you might glimpse what we have to put up with. This taken about 2 hours ago.

Steve,
I don't know if the "S" was a first or second year model, although the monthly records do list the 482-982 including the 582 Special for the months of Nov 1980 thru the end, they do not list the tractor model number from Nov 1979 thru Oct 1980. The reports show that the last IH 482 and 982 were built in Feb 1981, the last IH 582, 582 Special, 682 and 782 were built in Apr 1981. The last IH built Cub Cadet 82 series was a 782, S/N 694248. The last 38" mower deck was S/N 132759, 44" was 162093, and last 50" was 137635. It's the wrong page, but the last 182 Cadet lawn tractor was S/N 50645, Mar 81, last 282 was 49203, Jan 81, and last 382 (doesn't specify if it was a Hydro or gear) was 50978, Apr 81

All of this except for the Cadet Lawn tractor info can be found in the FAQ's, item # 28

David, If the material you are trying to paint is cold it will not adhere corectly. It was also cause your finish to dull. Depending on the type of paint you use. Your best bet would to be get what you are painting and your paint to at least 65 degrees. Even at that low of a temp. will cause the paint to dry slower. Meaning put one coat on and walk away for 15-20 minutes then recoat.
Cody

I have my CCO K161 tore down for a rebuild, and found seals facing each other on both crankshaft bearings. The new original Kohler bearing I found on ebay with numbers that match the engine part list came with no seals. One seal on engine currently has a metal shield and one has just the rubber seal.

My question is should the bearings have seals or should they be open to the inside of the engine for lubrication??

The outer side of each bearing has no seal, how does the oil get to the bearing to properly lubricate it?

graeme k tatchell

Just a thought I had and had to answer.Is there not a vent on the rear end on your 102 ? could this vent be plugged(painted over). Drive and using your tractor would cause the fluid to expand (get hot)and if the vent was plugged would cause a leak that might not show up just sitting and not used. Have a look at the back of the rear end above the back cover and see if you can tell if the vent is open. Just a thought I had for you
and good luck sometimes the small leaks are hard to find. I know , I once put baby powder on a rear end to find the leak
clappy.gif

Don-

There is no breather on the gear drive tractors like there is on the hydros. The gear drives breathe through the shifter.

Michael Glenn

Someone probably had that apart and put in a new seal and the old seal also. I could not find the old style metal seals when I replaced mine. One seal should do the trick unless there is a grove where the seal contacts the crank.I don`t think you will find a mark from a seal on a crank. My .02
thumbsup_old.gif

The old style metal seal was much thicker than I could find now for seals.

Matt Gonitzke
Well Matt I went to parts look up on the first 102 there and it does show something were the vent is in my hydros. It was just a thought . I have found many errors in the parts look up site since I started with Cubs in 2005 , so I will have to look at my 100 and see in the am If it does have a vent.I thought it was just the originals that used the shifter as a vent. I`am new and still learning as I go. Thanks
old.gif

Back