• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 24, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have a K-321 Kohler with a solid state ignition which has a bad coil. Whats the best way to approach this problem, should I change to points and condenser or replace the coil?

Too bad Travis. . .any pics of how the MF & cub fared the accident?

So I guess the cops didn't ticket you?

John if i was you i change the coil the solid state is the best way to go. cost a lot when it goes but most of the time you never need to touch it. timing never moves or points shaft never wears. just my 02cts

John
I've priced out things enough to know if it where mine I would change back to points.
IMHO YMMV etc. yada yada yada
Joe

Travis...now that Taylor has his pic in RED POWER Magazine (full color page 53) does that mean his 5 minutes of fame are starting now?????? Hope the wreck wasn't a total loss
sad.gif

Hope that everyone received what they needed for x-mas!!

Here's the 682 that I bought for the near perfect sheet metal :-( The pic doesn't do the damage justice.
14722.jpg

Ryan, the MF don't look pretty. I was going to use it in place of the 982 at least until I get it back. The cops were real nice about it. No tickets, and didn't even ask for my DL. I'm not real happy, but the situation could have been a lot worse.

We had the mower deck in front of the tractor and it cut two ratchet straps from bouncing. I had 1 strap in between the tractors and 1 on the rear. Shoulda had more!!!

Wyatt: Nice looking tool chests!

I'm going to be in the market for one now. Some time between the tuesday before christmas and christmas day some one broke in at the farm and stole ALL of my tools. Chain hoist, come-a-longs, shop heater, compressor, you name it they got it. They also broke into the house, but didn't get anything really (luckly we have been emptying it to start renovations).

Now I have to make a list of all my tools, but who remembers everything that was in thier tool chest?

Christmas has a differn't sting to it this year.

Travis,

Looks like a nice big SGT Massey, too bad about the "ride", glad nobody was hurt.

I-80 just plain sucks from IL all the way to 20 miles past 380.......rougher than a cob in a car, let alone pulling a trailer.....I can see how it could happen on that stretch of road.

Don't forget to check the lottery #'s!!!!!!
happy.gif

I have to say one thing, it still aint as bad as Christmas with the in-laws ;-)

Although I'd like to blame it on a lot of things, it would have been prevented with more straps (or heavier ones). I usually waaay overstrap stuff, but just didn't this time. Learning lesson I guess.

Matt-
Sorry to hear about you loss, especially at this time of the year. I can relate to the remodeling thing right now. The carpet installers are coming tomorrow and our kitchen it torn down to stud-walls, so I'm sitting on the floor of an empty room at 11:30pm with a laptop and eating my dinner out of a plastic cup because I'm too tired to dig out the dishes. The next time I ever think of remodeling I told my wife to give me 5 gallons of gas and a match! <font size="-2">Anybody need some cheap appliances?</font>

Travis-
Sorry to hear about your ride(s). It seems as though the more I haul things around the more lazy I get with the straps, but the next time I haul something I'll think of your story and strap it down extra.

On the way to your place last fall we went 20 miles and had a perfectly good strap <font size="-2">(Kraig's)</font> break after rubbing on a sharp edge, but then once we moved things around, we were good for the trip both ways. Sometimes those sharp edges can get ya when you least expect it!

On a brighter note...
Anybody looking for a boat but want something <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> (Navistar) powered?
14724.jpg

Check this out!
IH Jetboat!

Am new here & need help w/my IH Cub Cadet 122. The clutch holds good but makes a loud chattering & is enlarging the holes around the studs. Any insight into what my problem could be &/or how to correct it? Thanks.
Bob Y.

I hope everyone had a great Holiday. My release valves on my 149 hydro are stuck in the down position. I've been soaking them in Blaster, can they be removed and soaked & cleaned up? Thank you in advance. John

Broken straps! They don't break if ya don't use'um. Powerpulls with steel cable or nothin for me!
Not hammerin Travis or anything here, just to make it clear! He normally has straps all over everything! LOL
Guess it's time to tout the fact that trailers with sides don't show off your Cubs goin down the road but you damn sure don't loose any either!
14726.jpg

(Message edited by cproctor on December 29, 2003)

John N. -

Yes they can, per the manual.

Just be careful what ya soak 'em in so you don't dissolve the non-metallic parts
wink.gif

John N.,

Take them out with a 1" socket or wrench.

They each use a -016 and -116 O-ring on them as well as a teflon back up ring. I remove all 3 from the valve prior to soaking in acetone and replace the o-rings on reassembly. I did a bunch for Hydro Harry a while back, just a basic ball check/relief valve. Kenny

Matt,
Sorry about the loss of your tools. That is a huge blow to an established shop. And you are right - real hard to remember all the tools you had and only used once in a while. Take your time, think about past and present projects, look through the sears tool catalog, and on and on......
The point is, all those tools, accessories, etc. will take real money to replace, and you've been paying insurance just for that purpose! Now the question is whose money? Yours or the insurance companies? (that gets their money from you!) I've been there -- they can badger you, pressure you, demand a final list, question you -- anything to avoid paying you. Good luck.

On topic - no cub time at all. a real downer. flue since Christmas morning - we've had beautiful warm sunny weather and I haven't even had the strength to walk the dogs.

My trailer got a tailgate to help prevent "Oh Sh!#s"..........Unforseen things can happen to all of us....

Travis, that's one nice disk and modded Steiner your friend has!!! Sorry to hear that your strap(s) failed, good thing no one was hurt.

Mike M., nice Red Cub. My parents have that same 48" tiller (though theirs doesn't look near as nice), it works great and like Tom wrote, it'll need front weights.

Matt K., bummer about your tools!

Wyatt, Hmmmmm, I'll be starting to scan a stack of manuals soon that Frank M. lent me, and there's a manual or two that Art lent me. I could fit that BIG standards manual in after that. :eek:)

Back