• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 17, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
KENDELL - Yeah, the 70 actually has one on it right now, may even be "Factory-Made". I'll have to take a better look at it tomorrow and see if I can make a couple "Spares". I've got some brazing rod that's kinda springy.

Might even try to make some dies for them.

Quote(You know, I was thinking that there has never been a 1/16" scale Cub Cadet Original made. Having Scale Models make a commemorative scale model of an Original w/mower deck to mark the 50th Anniversary would be neat. Maybe even both 1/16 and 1/8 scale!!A couple of us have been checking into this and they want $85,000 to make the patterns and you have to aquire the rights to use the IH name.}

thats a few bucks more than i want to pay just to have permission for a <strike>name</strike> logo...

I would like to see a modern day version of the old IH 100.
I am sure with modern tech-know-how the saftey features can be incoraperated into the new (old style) 100

Plans are in the works for Chap #34 of the IHCC hosted by Chap#17 to put on an aniversary doings the week end of Oct 1 ,2011.It will be held at Tubby Bartlow's IH dealership in Milleville Pa.More info as it becomes available.

I have been catching up on this thread and I agree with society slowly moving away from the throwaway part of society. I work at a Cub Cadet dealership as a mechainc, we also sell the Hustler line of ZTR mowers. We sell far more of the Hustler line than the Cub Cadets. Folks look at the build quality for the $$ and are no impressed, the styling is in despirate need of a total overhaul as well. Folks look at the Hustler line and one of the first comments is that its built much like thier older Cub or Green machine or other brand (Wheel Horse is very popular here). Another point that was brought up was that gardening is becoming very popular again. If the amount of dead tillers I repaired last year was any indication, lots of folks that havent put a garden in for several years are doing so once again. Go walk the produce isles at the grocery and see how expensive it is. This recession is changing our country for better or worse. Gone for now are the days of easy credit and going in dept every couple of years to buy a throwaway tractor. Last year I reworked, rewired and rebuild several IH Cub Cadets at our shop. This is at a $60 an hour shop labor rate plus parts. These folks said they have no intention of parting with thier Cubs and plan to run them till they depart this lifetime. I hope MTD see's this trend and makes some less expensive tractors that can handle a sleeve hitch and a plow. Several potential buyers this last year were flabergasted to see that they needed to drop around 8K to get a Cub Cadet that could handle a moldboard plow. Both customers ended up buying an older used IH cub we had on the used lot and left with the web addys of both major IH Cub Cadet sites in hand to locate the rear hitch parts. I guess if sales start to lag enough, the bean counters will decide what to do. Hopefully the aftermarket keeps up with what MTD makes NLA. Right now I need an affordable long belt for my tiller. I hope we see some neat stuff from MTD, I hope for some good diecast models next year from somebody, those precision diecast green ones are nice, but we need some yellow/white ones of the same quality. MTD knows we are out here, I have spoken to factory reps at a couple plow days before. Cheers Mike and Michele T

Hey Mike- I agree with you on the Hustler. I bought the 52 inch ztr last year and it's one heavy built mowing machine!! Cub dealer wouldn't work with me on price for the tank. Lot of these manufactures need to stop and look around/ Pricing their selves out of business with cheaply made products..

The cost of a well built CC has gone up along with inflation from 1963 to the late 1980’s. The IH CC Tractors became the best GT’s of all time. The cost was well worth the investment at that time and now.

My grandmother’s fully loaded 982 (50c & H48) sold for $7200 in 1981, and my Dad’s 127 with (thrower and mower) sold for $1450.

I have no intention of ever buying a new MTD CC.

IMHO – The MTD CC Corp. could give a good GD about the older cubs. MTD only cares about today’s / tomorrows profits and not about nostalgia. They only hope to get all IH CC customers to buy the latest MTD CC crap (offerings) and forget the good old days.

Jim

Denny Engle....I think my Dad bought a 102 from them new...He then sold it to my cousin Steve. I just recently bought a 482. I'll bird dog this thread to keep up on the program..If I get my Cub all prettied up, I might just have to tow it up there...

We are talking about having an "open house" at the dealership next year. A local collector has pretty much one of every IH Cub Cadet produced. He might bring up several to display, I will bring my cub ect. Whether MTD does anything is anybody guess, but in the past when I went to the ihregistry sponsered PA plow days, they have send nice "care packages" of mint vintage IH Cub Cadet advertising from thier warehouse to give away as door prizes. So someone does still care about the older ones out there, even if they would rather sell a new one, the old ones still working keep the name in the public eye. A 3000 series GT, which is about as small as one can go and still have ground engaging ablities, is around $8K or so depending on options. They are nice, but I would spend a couple more $K and go up to the SC2400 Cub Cadet/Yanmar SCUT. Its a SGT on roids! So far our rep hasnt heard anything about next year, or atleast that he can tell us lol! I will say that many of our customers that have a new MTD built CC grass cutter tractor, also have a vintage IH machine that normaly the mower deck has rotted away, but they keep the old one for chores/garden work/winter snow removal. They use the newer MTD built one to cut grass, which they do much better than the older cub decks. Now if we could fit one of these newer decks with better air flow and gator blades on a IH cub and keep the blade tip speed up, that would be grand! Cheers Mikie

Mike: There's an Inflation Calculator that I had bookmarked before we had this "confuser" cleaned and any of these old IH Cubs cost in the $6000 area by today's prices. That's why I so enjoy when, say Kraig, posts an old bill of sale.
biggrin.gif

So, using Frank's link, the tractor would cost $7162.42, the mower deck is $1055.68, the snow blower is $1491.65 and the total package, though $1621 in 1968 is $10,095.90! I wonder what a 3000 series with deck and snow blower costs?

Terry, AND would that 3000 series still be operational 40+ years later like that Cub Cadet model 125 and implements are.
happy.gif

Kraig,
Only time will tell. I think there are several factors that keep machines going over that span of time. Maintenance plays a big role, as well as the design for durability and longevity. We are quick to point out the durability of a machine, but look at the consumer as a whole today. Most consumers won't take the time to maintain their equipment and most buy for the moment, not for the duration. Now, I doubt if I'd be running in 40 years.
greenthumb.gif

I worked for a farmer years ago that had bought a 2116(?) in about 95 to replace a 149 his dad had bought in 73. this guy was fairly consistant with the upkeep. Mowing roughly 2-3 acres (depending on if we mowed the road or not). in about 5 years there was enough problems he traded it off. I still have the 149. I put a different engine in when I got it and it's my plow tractor now. take it fwiw

Latest posts

Back