• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 16, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt my problem is that the pin comes out but not anywhere near the marks. Not sure what I'm missing. Thanks for the link

Man Harry, you just won't let that cam end play go will you? He's putting the exact same cam in the exact same block. There will be ZERO change in end play assuming he puts the shims back in where they cam from. (Misspelling intended...)

Have you ever once put the same cam back in the same block and had the end play change by more than .005 (which is the thinnest shim you can get)? Seriously...

Earl, polishing only works well on aluminum parts. While it does improve iron parts, the tiny benefits don't put way the many, many hours it would take to polish cast iron. Now billetsteel cranks already come pretty!

There is great benefits to be found in polishing the top of aan aluminum piston and the under side of the head to help remove "hot spots". But that's only really theory, as any tiny fraction of a HP gained will never really be realized... it just feels like a good idea when your putting a $150 custom domed piston in one on a $200 billet rod bolted to a $450 billet crank! It might was we'll be polished. Or better yet, coated with heat dissipating coating!!

Nic, the engine you just described cost my cub budget for this past year, on 6 tractors!! And that prolly don't include so much else, but I digest.... Urp.

I would follow Nic's end play procedure, going on feel. Seems reasonable to me.

Nice letter opener David. Think it would scare people away if I had it sitting ON my desk everyday? They might start to talk about how to get me into the Loonie Bin!

Just curious, what do you guys have on the back of your tractors or cabs for lighting? I have the red LED lights at the top of the cab, but I need some white light too. I can sort of see when backing up in the dark, but not real good. I have to jack knife the trailer at the wood pile to get enough light to see to load firewood at night. Wasn't sure if anyone had pictures of their set up? I seen one guy a while back had a nice round white light mounted in the corner of the fender next to the lift link, it was neatly done but I can't find the picture now. Not sure if it was on this site or another one?
I don't think I'd want the light to be on all the time, only when doing wood or blowing snow. Wouldn't want to be blinding the cars when blowing out near the road. I think the red lights at the back are good enough for them to see me there?

I don't see any mis-spellings Nic!?!?! :cool:

Harry, why so negative? It's a single cylinder flathead motor... as long as he can read and comprehend the manual... it'll be fine. Besides that he's got all of us cheerleaders rooting for him!

Is there a special cub belt for a qa42a? I heard of people using a oem belt, but in my case it wont work for me since I need a 5/8 belt But this belt has groves and its thicker, and i heard it threw snow farther. If anyone can come up with some info, I would appreciate it thanks!

There is, but if you have changed the engine to something else and the clutch is a different diameter, that's not going to work anyway.

I have been using Gates Hi-Power (black with red label) for mower deck and snowthrower belts and they seem to hold up well (as long as you don't let them get loose).

Mike - I don't think I'm being negative. Just asking what tools you need to measure end play since Jason asked what tools he needed.

Nic didn't say what to use for the crankshaft and suggested using the same shims for the camshaft. If I recall Jason mentioned he thought his Grandfather had overhauled the engine so it's likely been opened up at least one time. Who knows if the shims were re-installed.

I believe I mentioned I've never done an engine myself. I've only ever assisted and I'm wondering how everyone measures their endplay.

Back