• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 16, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

I safely made it back from the sandbox at the end of October and have been enjoying life back in the States. Of course, about the time I get back is when my centipede goes dormant. Sigh. Anyway, I am getting out of the Army in Jan to start a new life in the Southwest. The wife and I are pretty excited! She let me buy a new trailer to help us move some of our stuff cross country (my cub specifically)
33009.jpg

33010.jpg

Before I loaded the cub I drained all the fluids except the rear end, removed the battery, and put on a new seat cover.
33011.jpg

Looks like she may not be used again for a while so I loaded her first and probably won't be able to even see her after the trailer is fully loaded.
We are doing most of our job searching in Albuquerque, but our search area included all of NM, AZ, NV, and some of TX. Don't know how well the grass will grow in those areas, but I'm sure I will find something useful for the cub to do. Maybe a full restoration?

Thanks for the "mid Michigan" photo Charlie. I did'nt realize Roland B. lived in Mi. Todd Carter and I just discovered a few days ago that we only live about 25 miles from one another. I would like to get to one of the plow days in 2006 and meet some of the rest of you.

Don
Welcome back! I would like to thank you for your service to our country. We do appreciate it.

I have have an intersting task for your Cub. I sold the major parts of my lawn vacuum to a guy that used them to build a pecan vacuum. He had recently bought a place in New Mexico with 5 acres of pecans. He used a garden tractor (brand unknown) to pull the vacumm. So, you might have to think beyond the normal lawn and garden applications for some Cub Cadet fun.

Paul W:

Did someone say Mid Michigan...??
biggrin.gif

33016.jpg

The Thumb Area got hammered in the last couple of days. Here is the 1450 w/QA42A on storm duty.

thumbsup.gif

Don D:
Welcome back and again , a salute and big "thank you" for the service to our country. A word of caution - get theft prevention on your "portable garage" - hitch lock and more (I like a dummy ball in the hitch when it's locked). I use a similar trailer to store (and haul) some Cushman scooters in and have found that the trailer gets a lot of attention from suspicious types - no sense in making it too easy for the crooks.

Roland B and Paul W: Yep - more central MI (Bath) ( I'm not forgetting Todd C, we work for the same outfit ) We got skipped on the snow, only that slushy crap on Weds.

Dennis - I lucked out and was taught gas welding first - I tigged everything for about 10 years before getting a Mig - now I "glue gun" most stuff . I think you'll find TIG to be fun once you get the basic techniques down and nothing makes a more attractive weld, especially if you have good prep and close fit. Gotta run - making some QA skids and maybe a hanger/hitch for weights on the back of the 129 this weekend. (The Sk*g mower is gonna contribute its front weights to the back of the 129 for the winter).

Thanks guys,

"it's always good to get back to the real world."
That is for sure. I love to get up on Saturday, piddle around for a while, go to Lowe's (in my own truck), and have a beer in the evening after the kids go to bed. People cannot really appreciate those simple things until they are denied them for a while. Oh, and although I hate all the Pine trees here, they are beautiful!
Anyway, the cub may be relegated to just pulling a trailer around to help in the yard until I find a better use. My mother uses the 70 I gave her for that purpose every day back home.
33018.jpg

Dad told me that if the 70 doesn't start she makes it his #1 priority to "get that thing fixed." I think they work harder in retirement than they ever have.
I do use a hitch lock kit for the trailer. As much as I love my neighborhood here, there are shady people everywhere you go. The truck cap was also purchased to help with the move as I imagine it will take several days and we will leave our vehicles overnight in the parking lot of a hotel or two. I prefer to have our belongings secured and out-of-sight.

(Message edited by Ddulac on December 17, 2005)

Don,
When I travel with my boat overnight, I have two pieces of 3/8" chain that go thru the rims and the spring/frame of the trailer and I padlock it with a high quality masterlock. I also have the chain painted bright orange.

Main thing is to make it too difficult for them. Most theives are looking for something easy.

Thank you very much for your service to our great country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I found out the QA42 snow thrower makes an effective wood chipper. I got a "little" close to my bottom step.

33021.jpg

wave.gif
Jeff

(Message edited by jderstine on December 17, 2005)

(Message edited by jderstine on December 17, 2005)

I had to push the last snowfall back out of the way today. It was another 2 hours od seat time.

33025.jpg

Who says you can't make a high pile of snow with a blade?

33026.jpg

My wife was sleeoing so I had to take a picture of the 106 climbing one of the hills I go up and over when moving snow.

Kendell and Roland: Good to see more Michiganders with Cadets. Kendell, you are almost my neighbor, I'm in Dansville.

Wes: Today I cut through the 10"+/- across my lawn easier that expected to get to my shed. I had to push my 105 in the shed that I had left out prior to getting all of our snow. Then I plowed a path through the field to my brothers house next door and plowed his drive. He has'nt put his blade on his farmall super A yet. A good afternoon on the 122. Sorry about my "bad camera".
33029.jpg

Paul W., Roland, Todd C., Kendell, and others,
Great to find out you all are from Michigan. I'm in Hillsdale county. I don't post often because I'm tied to my work, but whenever I get the chance I plug into the Forum to learn from the best.
We've been snowthrowing with our 149 on my 800 ft drive-- I was worried how long it would take to move 6" of snow. Wow, no time at all and everyone in the neighborhood is jealous because I usually snowthrow about 5 pm when everyone is driving home. We try to show them all off every chance we get.
I got a Brother in law in Dimondale whose catching the "Bug" as we speak. If you guys ever want to get together--we're interested.

2 to 4 inches possible,not much but its sumthun!
groupwave.gif

33033.jpg

(Message edited by dallen on December 17, 2005)

I need to take this opportunity to thank Frank who I met through this site for helping me do some work to my Cub 1250 today. Not only is he genereous with his time and knowledge, but he is one heck of a mechanic. We did a little work on the hydro and installed my new helper spring. (I mostly held the light and gave moral support.) My 1250 now drives like a new machine. I did a few laps around the yard just to see how well it performed, and it did great. I was kinda bummed out that the mower deck was off, I would have given the dead yard the once over.

If you have followed my plight, you will know that I bought a (do I dare say it here?), John Deere late summmer. It developed problems within a month. It was orginally going to replace the Cub, but that was a huge error in judgement. "Oh Cub gods... please accept my humble applogies for putting another tractor before you, and accept this sacraficing of the JD." (I would burn it on a homemade alter, but I have a little money invested.) So, if you have any enemies, and they need a mower, let them know about this (P.O.S.) JD that I will be selling in the spring.

Again, my thanks to Frank for all his help!

Don, Welcome back from that "old sandbox" I myself spent plently of time there and my nephew will be comming home at the end of the month if all goes well. (Come to think of it, he will be leaving in ...10 days)

TPG
G/SGT USMC Ret.

Bart M.- I would be very interested in a get together of some sort. Maybe a plow day in southern Mi. or northern Ind? I have wanted to get to one of the plow days for a few years now. I would like to learn from some of the experienced plow set up guys on this website, and see their Cadets.
And just to make this post more interesting I took a photo of a poster I have with a E-Z Vac and 1250.
33041.jpg

Looking at the bottem right picture on the poster, I notice that the vacumm has a nice hand held attachment. Nice for you or the wife to use around the house. "See honey, we can both enjoy our Cub Cadet."

Tom H. -

Didja see today's NW Herald? Do we know this guy?

33043.jpg

Paul K.,
Yes--the hand held vacuum I have on a EZ Vac rear mount. And if you can't find leaves, go get a ladder 'cause it'll suck the leaves, (and bark)right off the tree and maybe even the neighbors stocking cap. The only problem is the rear mount is small and fills up too quick.

Paul W.,
I've never been to a plow day either. Maybe for PD 2006 we should caravan all of us Michiganders. I'd like to get the chance to learn as well.

Back