• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

My wife got me a brand new set of Cub Cadet tire chains for my 127. Does anyone have illustrated instructions for installing them? Being a newbie at this, I just want to make sure I "get it right the 1st time" and not screw up and give my Cubby a bad case of ouchies. I know they go on with the hook eyes facing out, I'm mostly interested in the spot where you join the 2 ends together.

Thanks,

Tim B

I just bought another set of fenders for my second Original (nickname is Red). So now my working Original has fenders as well as my restoration project. I am still collecting parts for my future restoration project... I just need a few more things and I am all set. I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do.
14542.jpg

14543.jpg

Jeff -

How appropriate, it looks like a hot dog
lol.gif

So are the "fugly" Cub Cadet the "Zig's" or the "Zig Zag's". Kinda' like my 122 Zig. It's the next best thing to a 100.

(Message edited by thoffman on December 16, 2003)

Tom H. -

YES!!
wink.gif

If I had to choose the lesser of evils, I'd have to go with the 1x6/1x7 series - at least you can see the designers/engineers starting to wake up...
roflol.gif

I like the "zig" and have a soft spot for "zig-zag" tractors.

In fact, I'm working on a RED "zig"

"All praise the zig-grill Cubs, zig heil!"

Thanks Ken s. I love it too!
buttrock.gif
buttrock.gif
beerchug.gif

Bryan, you know it does sort of look like a hotdog!
err.gif

As far as the slanted grills go, I think that our good buddy Kraig has it right on!
14546.jpg

And I think that the 71/102/122/123 are not slanted grills. Narrow frames are awesome! And as far as wideframes go: "Wrap your a$$ in fiberglass".
cwm.gif

Go ahead, praise the narrow frames all you want...then work on a wide frame just once and see what you're missing....

3 little words... REMOVEABLE FRAME COVER

Don't get me wrong, I love my 100, but that's for sentimental reasons, not because it's easy to work on or use when compared to the beloved xx9's!!!!!!!

Tim B - Here's a pic (not mine) that might help.
I jacked the back up about an inch to make putting the chains on easier.

14548.jpg

Steve, narrow frames have removable tunnel covers. I have a bunch of tractors sitting here with them off ;-)

Travis,

I hear the narrow frame tunnel covers never did fit back on very well once you take them off.....probably because they are to HOT to hold!!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Travis-Now let's see ya put those covers back on!
wink.gif

Did someone say "Zig Zag"?
flower.gif

Everything yellow and white is crap. Red rules. I have moved,you cannot trace me.

They fit. Just gotta knock the slag off the edges ;-)

OK, I better quit before someone gets mad ;-)

Steve B. Ok, IMHO here is the real deal as far as I can see. <font size="-2">I have only worked on one, so I will say that I have very little experience on wideframes</font> I did some work on my buddy's 109, and to be honest, It wasn't as great as I have heard. The 123 has some tight spots, but the 109 had plenty as well. All in all, once I get my 1x9, <font size="-2">169</font> I will have much more experience and will build more of an opinion. But for now, I have no complaints about either my Original or my 123.

Talking about narrow frames, I had to replace the driveshaft and clutch in the 106, I always wondered why there seemed to be a dent in the creeper slot on many models I've seen (without a creeper installed). I figured it out when I was driving out the pin in the driveshaft coupling. My Pin punch fit perfectly into the "dent" allowing the correct angle to hold the punch squarely with the pin. I've only seen this on non creeper installed 1x6's and some 1x4's. Maybe I'm blowing smoke but the punch fit nice in the supplied "dent". Only other thing I could figure is someone got the punch stuck while driving out the pin and then rolled the tractor back and forth to loosen the punch while trying to pull it out causing the dent. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Kenny

OK, truth be known . . . these are Cub Cadets! Removeable tunnel cover or not, they don't need work, the only reason you'd need to go under the tunnel cover on a Cub Cadet is if you're working on release valves on a neglected tractor or working on a tractor that needs serious care after sitting outside for years & years.

Let's see any other garden tractor come back fighting like that!

As much as I love my narrow frame 125, I must say the 1x8/9 series has a sexy frame. I like the way the frame flairs for the engine and has that rolled edge. I have a 149 but it's only for parts I have a custom Cub in mind. Here's a photo of Travis' 149 frame.

14550.jpg

Back