• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 14, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balbrecht

displayname
Brian Albrecht
Kraig M,
Let me check my body parts tub on Saturday. I know I have new ones, I think I may have at least one old one also that I may use as a test spring.

-Brian

Lew, That's the way they were on the tractor when I got it.

I have some spray on plasti-dip to recover the clips with. I peeled/scraped the old stuff off, chucked them and the recessed head bolts in vinegar over-nite and wire brushed them to look new.

David S - you've got the clips mounted correct on the shroud for your 14hp K321A. (I think Lew was trying to screw you up, but they may get mounted the other way on the smaller hp engines).

Question for all - since Charlie has stated above "There's NO such thing as a stupid question!" I guess I may have one as follows:

Ed asked about a 10 tooth and 13 tooth starter for his 1650. Charlie noted there doesn't seem to be a production serial number breakdown in the parts lookup or anyplace else. I just checked the parts look-up for the flywheel ring-gear and it's only showing 1 part number - so I assume there is only 1 style ring-gear.

So my question is: If you replace the complete starter does it make any difference if you get a 10 or 13 tooth?

Harry,

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think it does. On the old Ford IDI diesels, there are 3 or 4 different starters than fit and work, but they don’t all have the same tooth count.

The reasoning I’ve been told is it has to do with the gear ratio in the starter, and the ratio between the starter and the flywheel. The diameter of the gear on the starter comes into play also.

If there is only one flywheel, then I’d bet the difference is in the diameter of the bendix gear.......

I’ve not checked this personally, but this is my best, slightly educated guess.

That'll work David. I like that stuff the guy who cuts the boat in half and uses that flexseal, He reminds of the Pillsbury dough boy.
Harry,
Look in the service manual for the 86-169, shows pictures in it.
I have lost count how many I have seen this way, but I think it is because the coil is mounted higher.

Picked this up a while back.

318680.jpg

318681.jpg

David S/Lew/Harry/Lewis,

As Harry mentioned, David has the clips mounted correctly (pointing down) for his 149. The 1X8/9 Series engines had the clips pointed down for the coil lead wire. Narrow frame models where the gas tank was mounted directly to the engine using the same two attach bolts have the clips pointed up. I believe they were pointing up primarily to provided clearance for half cylinder shield that was mounted to the frame between the engine and steering pedestal tower. This shield was solid are early narrow frame models (70/100 and 1X2/3) and perforated on later ones (1X4/5, 1X6/7). The shield covers the clutch/drive shaft for safety and secondarily helped deflect grass clippings and debris from getting sucked into the engine flywheel screen.

Here it is in the manual.
I guess it may be a friday monday thing.
We should have a poll, up or down?

318685.jpg

Here's the clips on an engine shroud from a parts 149 that I have.

318687.jpg

Scott N - sounds like a reasonably educated explanation of what it could be and why 10 or 13 tooth doesn't make a difference if you replace the entire starter.

Kraig - would you mind getting out your air-brush and changing Lew's service manual pic so those clips are right side up instead of left side down. We all know the IH Air Brush personnel often took liberties with minor details.
biggrin.gif

Kraig - ya that helps.

Hey, I'm wondering. That pic Lew posted from the Service Manual says it's a CC 128. Did the 12hp engines in the 128 have that type of grass screen on the flywheel or did they have the flat disc type (that were used on 14 and 16hp engines)?

Harry,
I am gonna get your tail light inquiries going again.....

318693.jpg

318694.jpg

These have REFLECT-O-LITE 378-SAE-P2-A-75

Charlie - That 7588 is joining the 7388 and 7788 in Minot, ND, all serial # 501's. TOTAL COST of the three not including transportation, $386,707

About what the 7788 would have sold for new.

There's serial number 502's around too. They only ever built two of each.

Lewis I have new in package tail lights Number IH-545616-R2. Parts lookup gives IH-545616-R1 for my 169 and 149. What is the difference in R1 and R2?

Luther,
The number 1.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I have the R2 and there is no wire, and they are Bargman not Reflectolite.

Back