• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 12, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Larry - yup, looks to be an Olds LS.

Kraig and Charlie - I might be scanning these message to quickly but did one of you say that Olds with the 100 in the trunk is ole KENtuckyKens?
roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif

(I even had to make a slight temporary change in my tag line)

Thanks Kraig! Good to know that David K. recommends using non-detergent oil for the break-in period. I believe I have located some 30 wt. non-detergent at a local Auto parts store. That stuff is not easy to find.

Charlie,
roflol.gif

My local Federated carries 30wt non detergent "compressor oil". I buy it for the compressors at work.

Hi friends,very new poster here with a quick question. I am finally getting around to putting the factory hydro lift system on my Cub 105. I bought it complete a few years ago. I cleaned it up, put a new spring in the pump and new rubber seals, hoses also. I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt the hydraulic ram before? I have a feeling that since this system is 50 years old, like my tractor, that the ram is maybe going to leak around the gland nut. I looked it over very well and can't figure out how the gland nut would come out to disassemble the ram to get to the seals. The piston has some rust up near the end where the ram is threaded but I cleaned it up with some emory cloth and there aren't any burrs on it, just discolored. I can post some pictures later if anyone needs to see it. I want to read the forum instructions first before I do. Thanks in advance. Kevin.

Kevin:
I assume you are working on a hydro pump that hangs on the right side of the tractor?
The cylinders come apart after you remove the hoses from the ends. They are all that holds it together. Seals should be readily available from any reputable hydraulic shop as well as a new rod. They will have to thread the rod though and peen the end on the piston.

Here are some pictures of my unit I installed on m y 126 2 years ago. I thought I had done a thread on that restoration but I must have been mistaken as I cannot find it, if I did.

318622.jpg

318623.jpg

318624.jpg

Yes David, that's the one. Incredible, I had the hoses removed and was that close and didn't realize it. Thanks for the help.

Kevin,

Go to the Manuals thread, select "Manuals," then select "Options," then select "NF Hydraulics Install." That should give you all/most of the info you need.
thumbsup_old.gif

Kevin J - you can still post some pics. A lot of the guys on here would like to have that pump instead of having to use their Armstrong Lift.
happy.gif

Yes Harry I will post some pictures. My intention is to bench test this weekend. I mounted it in my vise and plan to add the fluid and run it with my drill, just to see how it acts and look for any leaks. I will take a few pictures and post.

70/100 brake return spring question. I cannot get more than a year use out of a brake return spring on either my 100 or 70 without the end busting off at the hook. I have them hooked just like the service manual seems to show, one end on the frame cross brace, the other end through the hole on the brake return lever. Am I screwing this up or are the new springs just that bad.
dunno.gif

Brian A., I might have a spare return spring on one of my parts Cubs. (the 1x4/5 series uses the same part as the 70/100) If so, you can have it, it might hold up longer than a new replacement.
dunno.gif
I'll try to check this evening, time and weather permitting...

Thanks Charlie.
That's kind of what I thought but they are so faded and covered with light surface rust it was hard to tell if maybe they were once gray or even silver colored.

Question:

Narrow frame Spring Assist-
How do you get the U-bolt tight on the lift bar??

I have tightened the original U-bolt till it broke. Replaced with new U-bolt same size and I am pretty sure if I tighten any more she will break also. It works for maybe one pull and then rotates on the lift shaft and spring tension is gone. Not sure what to try next. THANKS

Anthony T.

You don't have the bracket with the U-bolt installed properly on your rockshaft. There is a flat portion on the lower part of the bracket that needs to be in contact with the bottom edge of your LH (sitting on seat) lift arm. The U-bolt will not provide sufficient clamp-up friction force to assist w/lifting and not rotate w/o the direct engagement to the lift arm. Kraig has posted a picture of the helper spring install on there before. You can search for it which will help better explain the setup or maybe Kraig will repost the picture.
Hope this helps.

Oh man, I feel silly now..
Funny it never occurred to me to turn it around.
Thank again for the help guys!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, AJ

AJ - are you sure you weren't just trying to win a T-shirt? This site stopped giving them out for unusual problems/issues a long long time ago. Now we just suggest you put a notation on your chalk board.
old.gif

(I feel a little silly myself since I really couldn't understand you could install it incorrect, until Ron S explained it. We owe him a medal
ihrotate.gif

Back