• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 11, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
Art A. Having learned last month that I now have mild/moderate hearing loss in both ears...After reading your post about the cab noise.... PLEASE make sure to wear protective hearing equipment. I was told that no longer can I listen with headphones any louder than way down low and hearing protection when driving the Cub Cadets is a MUST!!!
happy.gif

Everyone BE SAFE and have a wonderful day.

We only got about 1" of snow last night. This is a picture before getting ready. I think Jackson is ready for some snow.
250321.jpg

250322.jpg

Art -

On that BB-36, do you have the "slack pulley" rod and bellcrank pto setup? If you need any help setting that up let me know...

Marlin-
Good point! Yes, hearing protection is always a MUST! I even put in ear-plugs when using an angle-grinder on steel.

Shultzie-
Nice set up. (I like the decals!)

Craig-
I know this blower has the chute-rotator and PTO assembly, but I'm thinking it may be missing the PTO engagement rod. I'll know more once I dig the thing out of "the cedars".
happy.gif

What weather we are having. 15 deg here at 6 am this morning . Rained hard all night . Think I will get some seat time on the loader in all the sun shine .
smile.gif

Shultzie, awesome photos! Love the blade.
greenthumb.gif

Marlin, yep, ear protection is a must.

Harry,
I DO NOT have any info on the starter/generators......but Charlies FAQ's (#72) has some info on them, compiled and supplied by MYRON BOUNDS and ROLAND BEDELL.

Art -

I got rods for you to borrow to copy (both styles, looong and short)
happy.gif

MIKE FRADE - Don't give these guys with 7 & 8 HP Cubbies too much confidence in how a mounted snow blower will perform. Everybody's situation is different. In nice dry fluffy powdery snow which we seldom see you can move 6-8 inches of snow but in wet heavy snow, the kind that makes GREAT snowballs and snow men & women, don't expect to take a full swath in much over four inches. I always found the point of best performance was just before you over-loaded the engine and lost RPM, so running 70-90% of maximum capacity was best. Once you drop off maximum full load RPM throwing distance drops off quickly. And blowing snow a second time takes a lot more HP than moving it the first time.

Most walk behind blowers use 8 HP engines in only a 26 inch wide machine. We're expecting a 7-8 HP engine to move a 700+# tractor and run the blower.

One of the last years I mounted my blower when we still lived in the Quad-Cities we got a 10-12 inch snow. I cleaned my drive, neighbor used his walk-behind, and his neighbor used his off-topic wrong color 14 HP tractor/blower. I normally cleaned all their drives during the week so their wives could get into their garages since I was working nights. About 7 PM the door bell rings. It was our paper boy. He'd committed to cleaning too many driveways that day and said "Can I borrow your tractor?". Well, that wasn't happening. I put all my winter clothes back on, we walked down the street a block, big 100 ft long, 20 ft wide crushed rock driveway with a steep slope up to the garage with 10-12 inches of snow. I go back and gas the Cubbie, it had the 10 HP in it by then, drove down the street and tried to drive up the slope without moving snow. Couldn't make it, had to blow a path clear. Taking full 36" swath slipping the clutch the whole way took me ten minutes to get to the top digging holes in the loose crushed rock the whole way. Once I could get up the drive I'd blow going downhill wide open in 1st gear taking almost a full swath. The bottom of the drive where the city plow trucks had piled snow from 16 foot of pavement slowed me down still. Took me about 35-40 minutes to clean the whole drive.

Where I live now in the country, we get a LOT of drifting, there's an 80 acre corn field across the road that the wind normally deposits most of it's snow in the road and my yard. The DOT has learned to put up snow fence to reduce the drifting, in fact, they put up more snow fence this year than in ANY of the 20 yrs we've lived here this year. I'll have places in my driveway that there's no snow, then right in front of the garage doors it'll drift 2-3 feet deep with only a 6-8 inch snow fall. Storm of the Century 2 yrs ago I had drifts 3 ft deep packed in hard enough I could walk on top of them. They pushed out in HUGE chunks 8-10 feet wide and just as long ahead of my snow blade. That's why I use the larger tractors for most of my snow removal now.

To add further to the "Great Tail Light Mystery" some more info on the abbreviations:

A = Reflector
I = Turn Signal
P = Parking
P2 = Clearance, Side Marker, Identification
PC = Combination Clearance and Side Marker

Thus Jeff Baker's PIPC would translate to Parking, Turn Signal, Combination Clearance and Side Marker (and possibly the reason it has 2 bulbs as turn signals are brighter than marker lights).

Marlin, read the postscript on the end of your post,it's absolutely Shakespearean (and absolutely true).

Paul B - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Sometimes I get side tracked
happy.gif

Frank - if you're looking there is some info in Charlies FAQ #72 as Paul noted. It seems to have been provided by Myron Bounds and Roland Bedell based on info in an IH Publication and an IH bulletin. So, just when did the AC Delco S/G's go from bushings to bearing tail shafts is still a question.

Larry - thanks for that additional info on breaking the codes on tail lights.

Marlin - I recommend hearing protection as well but wanted to note that during my visit to the Dr couple years ago he did a hearing test and told me I had loss at mid level tones, which could result in me not hearing my wife. Thought this might be useful info for you and others on here.

+1 to Denny's post below.

There have been many times that I have wished that my Mag 18 in the 782 had more power when running my QA-42A.

HYDRO and 12HP min. for 36"
HYDRO and 14hp min. for 42"

These recommendations are "realistic" for decent performance in all snows...IMHO......it can be done with less, but you'll work at it.

AND...another +1 on the full load comment.......if you are not HARD into the governor, you're not feeding your thrower enough to maximize it's performance.

Harry Bursell
that bushing in the s/g are the reason I got my first Cub; a 129 that I have the loader on.That sleeve bearing in the s/g won`t take the belt to tight and the bearing will go south fast. I stopped at the guys house that had the 129 second owner and he told me he had lent the 129 out and now thinks the engine is shot . He said I could buy it if I still wanted it. He started the tractor and went to answer the phone; Did it ever sound like the engine was shot, but a broom handle against my ear and the block told me that it was the starter gen back bearing that was the problem. He got off the phone and ask me well do you still want it.I bought it and replaced that sleeve bearing only to have it go bad again . I now have my working tractors all using the ball bearings.
coffee.gif

I am liking the taillite info and to add to the S/G talk
My book also states that S/G #11016292 was the direct 12 amp service replacement for the #11016291

Hydro Harry,

My recollection for the 1X8/9 series which came with electric lights from the factory is that they always came with the rectangular Reflect-o-lite 378 taillight assemblies. That taillight configuration was introduced with the 1X8/9 series and continued on the QL series. The 1X6/7 series that had factory electric lights used the oval tail lights similar to what Jeff Baker posted earlier that were on his 169.

Remember only the top of the line models (147, 149, 169, 1450 and 1650) had electric lights come standard from the factory. For the other 1X6/7, 1X8/9 and QL models, electric lights were a factory option that could be ordered or more often they were added via a factory light kit order through the parts depot by the dealer if the customer wanted electric lights on his Cubbie. The reflectors made by Stinsonite SAE-A-68 DOT were standard equipment for all 1X6/7, 1X8/9 and QL models that didn't come equipped with the factory electric light package. I remember installing many of them on the fender pan while uncrating and setting up new Cubbies to sell at our dealership.

One other thought on this taillight debate is the mounting base of the rectangular Reflect-o-lite 300 SAE-PC-67 tail lights was apparently certified in 1967 so that would support the 1X8/9 series production. It may be that Reflect-o-lite just didn't voluntarily SAE certify the len's until 1975 but had been making the lens since 1967. Since Cub Cadets are mostly considered off-road vehicles, there was no need for the lens to have the SAE certification. My $.02.

So it sounds like the only question is what did ID for the stock lense on 1x8,9 read.

HI all

not sure if I am doing this right or not. I have 3 Cub's I could purchase locally, just not sure which one I should get. There is a 682, a 1440 and then a 1862 all in nice condition with mower deck, blowers, etc. Just wondering which one would be the most "bang for the buck" I will be using this to move snow, mow, etc, not be a garage queen. So looking for ease of use, and most power. Any thought or comments?? Thanks for your time

Dan Heerts

My vote would be for the 1862 MTD ; power steering is a great thing to have. the blower would be a two stage and they will move snow .

Dan, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif
I don't have any experience with any of those models so I won't offer any opinion.

Back