• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 10, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timothy T. If you have 8.50 rear tires, the tractor is under 36" wide. If your 147 has 10.50 tires, like mine does, it is over 36" wide and the rear tires will run in the "unplowed" snow and knock it down into the just cleared path. If so, you will be a lot happier with a "42". 36 and 42 are the width of the path it will make. Some people put wings on a 36, don't know how well that works.

William R., I need to figure out why my 125 quit charging as well. One reason I came in for a break from snow removal is because the battery was getting weak. It's got the battery charger on it now. I'll be heading back out shortly for round two of the snow removal. I doubt I can get either my daughter or my wife outside with the camera for action shots. I might take some "after" photos to try to show how much snow we have. Shoot, I just remembered that I still have the two decks to shovel after I get the driveway cleared.
bash.gif

Denny, right about now I wish the ground around my place was still bare. Hmmm, I never did get the garlic beds mulched with hay. Oh well, with all this snow on them there really isn't any need for mulch.

We're getting buried over here also Art. I just spent an hour and a half clearing 100 feet of drive with my 100/blade. Ramming speed was required at all times with about a 15 foot maximum push. The last 50 feet of driveway won't be possible with the blade. The landlord's plow truck will have to finish it.

217684.jpg

217685.jpg

BRIAN, ART, KRAIG - You guys supposed to get all the wind tomorrow too? Here they're predicting 40-45 mph sustained winds, 18 degrees F tonight and falling all day tomorrow to -3 F for a low Sunday nite/Monday AM. That's supposed to be 30-35 below wind chills.

I have 2 cubs I am working on at the same time, been finding many issues as I go. The 1200 has a 12HP Kohler that I pulled today, when I looked at teh machine the only way it ran was very high rpm. Not sure what the very bright owner did with the govener. Any how I opened here up and all the guts look ok so perhaps he had it WAY out of adjustment. The exhaust valve is WOW burn't its shaped like an egg LOL. Anyhow nt wanting a full rebuild this winter I wnat to get her working for now. The seat looks ok for the most part will putting in a new valve hold hope. Just for info here the last owner put a "stack" on the dam thing so not sure if the open pipe and I am sure dampness getting in helped this along. on another note I have the 586 running good just noticed an oil leak from motor, so anther issue. Both these came inexpensive so this is kinda expected. Never have rebuilt a cub cub before now u have 2 going at once. I took the steering box from the 586 out and ended up turning the pin in the lathe WOW what a difference.

Denny-
I think we're supposed to get winds tomorrow, but hopefully not quite THAT high. Either way, being up on this hill we live on (all sides) is amazing because your footprints disappear in a matter of minutes. It's like sand on a beach. <font size="-2">Only it doesn't feel quite so good between your toes!</font>

Brian-
Yeah, this snow is a bit much for a blade on a CC sized tractor, but it sure is fun to try! Neat pics
happy.gif

Kraig-
Nice job on the PTO mod.
happy.gif

Sounds like you may want to bring that battery in where it's warm when you're done out there tonight and give it a good long charge so you're ready to rock and roll tomorrow. I've always felt that batteries hold a better charge when they're warm.

BTW, thanks for the reminder about the drift cutters, I'll have to flip the ones on the #450 up to "fighting position" before I head out. (Hopefully tomorrow)

The stick is getting shorter!

217688.jpg

<font size="-2">This isn't "actual" snowfall, it's a drift that's forming off the backside of our house, but still!</font>

WAYNE - Yes, if the exh valve seatr looks good you should be able to replace just the valve itself. You might want to LAP the valve to the seat. An internet sesrch should get you plenty of info to proceed. I'd suggest getting the Stellite valve, it's more expensive but holds up MUCH better. If I remember right all 12 HP Kohlers in CC's have Stellite seat inserts so you should match the valve material with the seat. And the exh stack probably had some impact on the valve warping. The draft of cooler air going down the stack when the engine stopped cooled the valve too quickly and warped the valve head.

ART - Seems like our forcast has changed about every two hours all day. Still raining, above freezing. Was supposed to start snowing twelve hours ago. Places west of here 20-30 miles have several inches of snow already.

High winds and icy power lines during below zero weather doesn't make me real comfortable.

Looks like it's time for a "classic" pic....

217690.jpg

217691.jpg

Big Steve's 100 in 1978...

I should have gotten a picture with the cadet in it before I put it away. The entire front grill was packed in with snow from it pouring over the blade when I rammed the piles in 3rd. The wind really picked up and my path to the shed was blowing it in so fast I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it back inside if I didn't quit when I did, so no good CC pictures. I had to push with my back to the wind so I could see what I was doing. There was just too much blowing in my face to do it the other way. It's been 3 hours since I plowed, I would have to pretty much start from scratch at this point it's blown in so bad.

Brian,
I know what you mean by "wind in the face". I live at the top of a hill and I must snow throw UP the driveway into the wind. By the time I get to the end, I look like a snowman on the 125
clappy.gif

This year ( I'm copying a guy from corvette forum off topic ) and trying my motorcycle helmet with the face shield when snow throwing.

Should be interesting.

Jeff

Back