• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 08, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Brian K.-

Yes, input shaft is splined, and the reduction ratio on the output shaft is different. My plan is to swap the output shaft from this hydro unit to another ported pump I have. I think the only reason the splined input shaft was used was for the rear PTO on the supers. Since I won't have a rear PTO on this, I will use the normal coupler with roll pin used on the earlier models. Functionally, it will be no different.

Justin-

Thanks! I will attempt to post progress updates on this as I get it going again.

Here's an old picture of me, circa 2004ish.

323845.jpg

Matt,

Nice pic. Here is a pic of about 5 minutes ago out my front door.
Might have to put the blade on my 128 in a little while.
This is the second largest December snowfall ever in NC. (at least since records have been kept.)

323849.jpg

Piling up nicely on my well cover.
323850.jpg

What size and length are the screws that hold the points cover on?

Well, the old 127 is alive! Got the rebuilt 12 running. Took some finesse to get some fresh gas to it but once I did it lit off quickly. Idles smooth, goes right up to WOT. Starts easy after warmed up. It's only like 25* out(I'm working in the driveway).

Only thing I forgot was a new muffler. Thought I had the old one, but must have already pitched it? So only running on the little 90* elbow right now.

No deck so I can't try out the rebuilt PTO.

Found two local throwers. One wide, one narrow. Have been contemplating getting one, especially for the 127. I have a blade for the 149.

Thanks all for the input and advice. Being my first single popper, I'm pretty excited. Anymore it doesn't take much!

I might be selling my 129 - not sure how much interest there would be in this. Long story short...it threw a rod this past summer. I took out the engine and gave it to a guy who knows these old machines inside and out...said he has a block for mine that has already been bored and so he'd be willing to transfer all the parts that were still on my engine when I took it to him, would put in a new piston, etc. Keyway on mine is pretty well worn out too - so he said he could do that. I still have the head since I always intended to plane it down with some wet sand paper, though he strongly suggested that it be machined. I did plane it a few months before the rod broke.

Anyway, over the past few months he developed health issues and I'm thinking that he probably won't get around to doing this anymore. So, I've got a 129 in my garage that is pretty much stripped down to the frame - have all the hydro connections undone in preparation to separate the tractor since I had intended to replace the cork gasket (pretty sure that is the cause of a leak that's been going on for over 20 years now).

Have $119 worth of new parts I just bought for it: (fan and retaining ring, pin, disc-flex coupling, gaskets: head, cork, and engine, as well as the eccentric bearing and locking collar. So you can see I had great intentions and still would proceed with a bit of reno on this thing if I can get the engine working. Besides the tractor, I also have the 42-inch deck, blade, chains for both rear tires, mule drive and also (I think anyway) a moldboard plow and brinley attachment. I have other parts too - spare tie rod ends, new spring and pulley for the mule drive, and a whole bunch of those round fittings for the front PTO. Also fairly new S/G and brand new carb that has less than 10 hours on it.

I will try and find out if this guy still intends to work on my engine, but if not, I'm not going to proceed any further and would prefer to sell it as is - essentially the frame and all the parts. I don't know if the outfit I bought the parts from back in September would accept them as returns at this point or not. I suppose I could try to sell all the new stuff piecemeal, but could also just let it all go with the Cub for the right price.

I'll report back when I find out more from the guy who has my engine, but if he tells me he can't do this work anymore, then I'm done and might list the Cub here. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge and experience to proceed further on the engine by myself, and without doing that, can't see the point of going further with the hydro either.

Marty-

It is a mess out there for we North Carolinians. It looks like something Charlie would post as an everyday happening. I was thinking about getting the 108(Turtle) out since I recently put a blade on it but I would probably make one heck of a mess. It doesn't have chains, weights but no chains. I'm sure I would be peeing in the wind. We're in for some weather over the next couple of days.

Stay warm, maybe we will get some pointers from some of those that deal with this stuff every year.

Global warming has apparently taken a few days off.

I had one heck of a flock of black birds invade my feeder this morning.

323853.jpg

Don’t think North Carolina is equipped for that amount of snow. I would have 14 trucks on the road in a storm at the small city it worked for. I’ll bet some counties in NC don’t have 14 total.

Since the wind has been blowing, the snow is from 11 to 14 inches deep.

Wayne, you are right. The 128 was no match for the wet snow.
As soon as the blade started rolling up the snow, the 128 just started spinning. Oh well.

It started out as dry snow, then went to wet snow, then to sleet, now freezing rain. Nasty stuff for sure.

BTW, I found my muffler. Hidden in a box of electric lift parts that got covered up a few months ago. I just couldn't believe I threw it out! Its a bit rough, but useable for now. I got it stuck on, just need to snug it up.

Since I dug out the lift parts I guess I need to get the crossbar changed over and get the lift mounted.

Larry-

If your muffler doesn't rattle like crazy or have holes then just clean it up on a wire wheel then paint it with bar-b-q paint. It'll be just fine and look new. I've done several that way. If you haven't already you can also paint the 90* nipple at the engine (mask off engine of course) and the clamp. The paint (Rustoleum) is rated to 1200 degrees and works well for a quick fix.

Marty and I are getting slammed with the white stuff yet again here in central NC. They are calling for even more tonight. I use to take off across the field north of my house on a cub in high gear and raise a little cane but it is now a fenced in pasture...bummer.

All one piece again.

323858.jpg

I have a short video of it running but it's not downloaded anywhere to post it. Plus without the muffler it is pretty raspy sounding.

Wayne, I thinking about painting the muffler. I think it was kinda pin-holey, so I might look at replacing it. Maybe in the spring? I have the deck which needs a full set of bearings and such so I might spend the money getting it back up to par?

They're just money pits......

Latest posts

Back