• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proessler

displayname
Paul W.Roessler
Mike F. , I second what Ron said about the 59M. Also a Bar screen works good with wetter debris, probably hard to find one though. Or just pull the screen out when shredding the wet material. Of course shut motor off when working on it.
Shift.gif

Tim M,
I have on my 149. the shaft on the kohler was short, so I had to make a bolt-on spacer. need to cut the basket off of the front pulley. controlled with PTO safety switch through a relay so you can't start while energized.

323812.jpg

323813.jpg

323814.jpg

Marty - everyone knows the really good stuff is in the basement.

Mike - that's a nice looking 149 with the 59M set up. Did you restore the 149? It's got that original look so I really can't tell from the pics.

Mike-

When my shredder clogs I use dry pine cones. Sticks work as Ron mentioned...I just have a ample supply of the cones so... I have a bar screen but have never used it. Maybe I should just see how it works with the shredding.

Also as Ron said, be safe! These machines can make doctors money. And eyes are the main concern always.

Ron, Harry, and Wayne - yep, have to be careful with this unit. Gloves and eye protection for sure. Common sense goes a long way. I found small limbs and dry leaves help clear the screen although I did remove it once to clean it (with the unit off, of course!).

149 was restored almost 20 years ago. It's a worker though. I use it for mowing, plowing snow, some shredding, and used it to pull a trailer in several 4th of July parades. Runs great to this day!

Mike - someone did a really nice job restoring the 149. I think I see the serial number tag on the rearend so it would be an early unit. I also noticed a rearview mirror mounted to the PTO lever - now that is interesting.

Scott - what Kohler K engine is that you're using with the converted electric PTO? I see ears on the lower part of the block and wondering how you mounted it and still aligned the driveshaft.

Harry - I did the restoration in 2001, I believe. I disassembled it somewhat but not completely. Degreased, blew out, scrubbed nooks and crannies before paint. Then I just masked everything carefully. Kept most of the old decals too. Keeping it in the garage is the biggest thing in my opinion. Not afraid to use it though!

Hello everyone,
Had a question, but first I wanted to thank Cub Cadet Specialies for helping me restore my 147. My question, is there a leaf mulching plate that attaches to the 42” deck at the discharge available?

Justin, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

There is no mulch plate available for the 42" mower deck. I have three of the 42" decks and when I want to chop up leaves I typically just keep mowing through the leaves and it does a decent enough job. But then my leaves are mostly Maple leaves and they chop up pretty easily. I see that you list having an Original, there was a mulch plate available for the 38" timed deck that was used on the Original.

Justin, here's a couple of photos of the mulch plate for the Original's 38" timed deck. I shouldn't be too hard to make a similar mulch plate for the 42" deck.

323820.jpg

323821.jpg

Back over leaves that you windrow to mulch them, the reverse direction of travel effectively turns the left side of the deck into a mulch plate.

Kraig,
I did see that CCS has the plate for the 38 deck. I do have an ‘O’ Cub, however, I do not have a deck for it. ( on my wish list along with a set of headlights). I may have to make something for the 42. Looks easy enough. I will try to post some pictures. I need to resize my photos, so I need to figure that out.
Thanks for the replies!

Mike - I was hoping you'd tell us about the rearview mirror. I don't recall seeing one before and wondered how and what you use it for?

Harry - Rearview mirror is really an old clamp-on dealy that I had laying around. I used it for when I'd pull a trailer in the 4th of July parades with about a dozen kids in the back. It helped me keep an eye on 'em. It's one of those convex mirrors so everything is closer than it appears. ;-)

Slightly off-topic Friday...

This is only the second Cub Cadet to follow me home since 2011, and the first that was not a parts tractor. Not totally sure what I will do with this, but the deal was too good to pass up, even with 500 miles of driving after work today.

323826.jpg

323827.jpg

Back