• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdortch

displayname
Kenneth Dortch
Kurt Smith - can you post some pictures of your tractor that you've taken in the daylight?

111024.gif

Kenneth

Kenneth, here are links to archived pages were Kurt posted photos and info on his custom "Cub 826".

Page 1

Page 2

I took some pictures of the inverter I mounted today. It can run my circular saw, which is the biggest thing I need it to run...

111069.jpg

111070.jpg

111071.jpg

Well, got some more mocking up done today. The great inverntor of the 1650-4 (Darryl Schmidt) was up and he had some good ideas for me. So out came the blow torch and tape measure. Its all going to fit into the stock length frame and sheet metal.
111074.jpg

Aaron
Its amazing that V6 fits under the hood!looking good

Kurt
that sure is a fine looking machine.....great craftmanship! you need one of thoes pincore generators!!

How about i laser cut the flames in the hood and then line the back of the hood with polished stainless steel? That might be interesting. The biggest thing is that this tractor has to keep its stock size. No lengthening or changing of major body panels for shape (except where the frame will be altered.)

The battery is going just above the drive shaft in the tower area, so to change it i will need to pull the motor! LOL Gas tank will be in the back. I am looking for a tank off a 782D. That would be perfect.

Got the radiator fit in last night and i think its going to work. Next thing is to come up with power steering. Its going to be a short sector and sit above the battery - and just have to run hoses. The alternator will run off the driveshaft under the tunnel. Using a mini alternator system since it wond have much to run.

Kraig McConaughey - Thank you for the links to Kurt's tractor.

Kurt Smith - Your mock 826 is great. You sure put a lot of work into that dude. Your invert is a great idea as well. I've often thought of putting an inverter on my tractor.

111242.gif

Kenneth

Aaron.....
CUT THE FLAMES!!!!! that would be cool.I had a old craftman that i used for dragin the yard that I painted flames on with a spray bomb can and a template I cut out of sheet metal!!!!Needless to say it looked terrible but the kids thought it was cool,A air brush or the like would of been great.

So hows the progress coming?

How rough is a plasma cutter when cutting holes?I use one on sheetmetal Duct at work but its only 26 ga.cuts real clean through the thin stuff.I was thinking about cutting 16 Ga with it.Guess it all depends on the capasity huh!if you had to guess the "gauge" of the frame what do you think it would be? Need to cut a tunnel off clean.
Anyway again great Job

Aaron
I hope I'm not out of line and I may have missed details of your build but, viewed from the front the V6 rotates CW but the Hydro unit requires a CCW input. I neglected this when I stuffed a 2cyl Flathead Contenental into a 147, fired it up and no drive, so I tore the motor out and turned it around, problem solved, except radiator placement, cheers

Aaron not knocking you but I can't figure what you are saying. If you look at the front it is turning CW but if looking at the tail turns to the left CW too?

All my ramblings are made from the prospective of standing in front of the tractor looking aft, on a stock Cub Cadet looking from the front, the implement drive pully (Motor) turns CCW and the flywheel side is turning CCW which drives the Hydro CCW ( the flywheel side of the Kohler is turning the same direction as the fan end (front) of an auto engine. so, if a person is going to drive a Hydro unit with an auto engine you have to use the front to get a CCW rotation (viewed from the front)or....
to drive a hydro CW from the flywheel end of an auto engine (I've only tried this with a spare unit on the bench driven by a large drill and it worked) you reverse the charge pump housing by 180 deg so the pump will presurise the pump Kidney housing and because the I/P shaft is now turning the opposite direction you'll now have lots of reverse and very little fwd so the lower motor swash plate needs to be turned 180 deg,this gives lots of fwd and little reverse. I think the same thing can be achieved if you pull the Diff and reinstall so the crown is driven from the other side of the pinion (I,ve not tried this), Hope this helps

Mat

YOu guys are correct that I will need to flop the pump, swashplate, and rear carrier. I want the motor to sit the same way it does in a vehicle for looks reasons.

I have gotten a little more done on the rear motor mount and now have the front to do. Then the engine will become part of the frame and kinda be self supporting. That way I can get away with the large amount of frame being chopped out.

I have this whole next week off so I am planning some late nights to get some progress done.

Thanks for the info and commets guys. Aaron

It should be a whole lot of fun when its done, when I had the big motor in mine it would sort of suck the grass up straight, then cut it, and you could hear the mower blades tips start to cavitate when you wound it out (-:'

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
hear are some pics of a power steering project:
112458.jpg

I am useing a hydra lift cylinder from a 149
112459.jpg

has any one had success with a set-up like this?
112460.jpg

DARRYL - My only suggestion is about the rod end bolted thru the frame for the stationary cyl. mount....Good idea using the big rod end, but if You notice that MTD/CCC used a plate that bolted on the outside of the frame to spread the forces over a wider area over three bolt holes, I think that rod end will rip out of the frame. I'd put some sort of reinforcement on either the inside of the frame or outside. Other than that the cylinder appears to be very close to the size MDT used on the later SGT's with P/S. Should work great. Let Us know when You get it done...more pci's etc.

RYAN - We need more details about that engine! Doesn't look like a C60 IHC that's for sure!

Back