• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 06, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not 100% sure of the total snowfall today, but it was enough to have some fun in...3-4" if not more. It's light fluffy snow that is blowing like mad right now in the 20 mph west wind.

Took the 782 out and did several drives in the neighborhood, by the time I got back, mine had more snow drifted back in on it...looks like I'll get some more seat time out of this snow tomorrow...getting too cold now (headed toward sub zero).

Nothing quite as fun as a full blade running at full angle powered by full throttle Kohler and full hydro Cub........that big roll of the top of the blade is great!!!!

Hey y'all keep those pictures of the Cubs with the Snow blowers coming, and especially the ones that show how you got your tractors rigged to work the snow. Just an old southern boy here who hasn't seen enough real snow in a lifetime to make a good drift(except for the blizzard of 94). By the way I got both of my cubs running pretty good now I just haven't got that %$#@%#$ mechanical clutch put back together (even with the photos and diagrams). Thanks again for the photo's of the "workin" cubs and keep'em coming. Tim H. in cloudy wet Bama.

Thanks for the info regarding the 128 engine. I'm going to put a new coil on today. I consider that a cheap easy fix if that does the trick. Thanks again. P.S. for those wanting to play in the snow... I hope you get enough to need a cab on your cub! :eek:)

Well I couldn't stand the suspense any longer, pulled the oil pan on the 1250. This is the one my Son-in-law said it just quit, didn't make any noise.
thumbdown.gif

32866.jpg

Wow, when these rods go they really go. If it wasn't for the starter on the other side of this block there would be a hole in it.

32867.jpg

I've rebuilt some engines in the past and just replaced the piston, but from now on any time I get into one of these they will get a new piston and rod for sure. Looking at the rod bolts at first I thought someone had put in a helicoil, but the force pulled the threads right out of the aluminum rod.

32868.jpg

RICHARD - I've never had it happen but My buddy broke a rod in a K241 in a 107. He'd just started it and was backing out of His shop and the engine went bang and stopped. I guess His old rod looked about like Your's. Those pot metal rods are like ignition parts & gaskets..... Replace them ANY time Your inside the crankcase. Especially on the bigger engines.

I have a K301 from a 125 I parted a few years ago that I think will look like that inside. I also have a K241 still in a 105 I picked up this past spring that I bet will look that way too, though I'm hoping that it's just a stuck valve. I haven't found the time to open either one up but seeing Richard's photos sure makes me more curious. Hmmmm, I wonder if I can find a little space out in the shed to work on the K301?

32870.jpg

Good morning all. Received about 4" of fresh powder last night. Had to get up early and go to work so can't wait to get home and put the snow blower on the 1200 to the test. Blew a few inches a couple of days ago without engaging the creeper which was really not enough snow to judge how she preforms. Will try and post some pics if I can get my wife outside.

Richard C,

"Mag-16 in a Quietline" - pan is too tall. Why not think outside the box for a minute. Try thinking of angling the shaft and motor downwards and tip the rearend upwards at the same angle. It would take some frame hole mods in the rear to do but may work OK as long as nothing hits and the joint angles are straight.

JimE

Cam someone explain to me what makes the rods fail? Do the bearings wear down on the crank and start banging around and fail there or just fatigue and break up somewhere else? Just curious. Thanks!

JOHN - I'm not a full blown Metalurgist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once... ;-) The die castings are mostly aluminum. The fatigue strength of aluminum is VERY poor. But it's light and rather cheap so makes an O-K conn. rod. There really isn't a bearing insert in the rod. It's machined and coated with softer metals via some process as opposed to having plain bearing inserts like most engines. Not sure what the coating is but I bet it has a bunch of tin & lead in it... maybe a bit of copper too. Maybe Don Vogt will see this and be able to explain more about how Kohler makes their rods.

Jim E.
That's an interesting concept and I'm sure it would be doable, except the front of the engine is already too high for the hood. I've got some good information from David Rohacek on how to modify the block to accept the correct oil pan, just need time to pull the pan.

One problem with this engine is the short crank on the front of the engine, I can never use a PTO so it will be a blade, loader, or plow tractor. I'm thinking maybe I should consider making a 4 x 4 cub, something I have wanted to do for a long time.

6" +/- of fresh snow overnight S.E. of Lansing, Mi. I cleared part of the drive this AM before work. It was great to start the day on the Cub Cadet! This was my first year to use a geardrive (122) with my blade and it worked great. In the past I used my 125 and was happy with the operation once I got it started. With the 125 I had to point my torpedo heater at the hydro unit for 10-15 minutes and use a battery charger. The 122 popped right off. I was going to get a trickle charger and some sort of magnet heater for the 125, but decided to just leave the tiller on it and put together a new tractor for snow removal. Should'nt one have a CC for every attachment he owns?! I'll post pics when I finish drive later today.

Got about 5"-6" here last night and didn't have the snow thrower hooked up.
angry.gif
I'll have to get snappy and get it hooked up.

Tom H. -

Better hurry before the "ugly duckling" and I get over there and plow your driveway
lol.gif

TOM, BRYAN - No need to rush into these things like Putting Snow Blowers on.... I just installed the drive pulley last Sunday that Charlie gave Me last April at PD. I may actually mount the blower this weekend! I need to go visit Apostle Ken @ C&G Saturday and do some X-mas shopping for Me & Dad first though.

Charlie,

Is it just me, or does that pic of the xx8 tractor in the snow thrower manual say "106" on the decal......it's an 8hp, making it an 86, but I swear the decal says 106....

Wrong steering wheel too.....it has a xx6/7 wheel on it.

Obviously a preproduction photo mule..

(Message edited by sblunier on December 09, 2005)

I don't even remember seeing a pic of a 128 throwin snow!
Kraig?
Hydros are better for doin that anyway! Course they are better for doin anything for that matter! SNICKER
banned1.gif

Richard C,
"except the front of the engine is already too high for the hood".....How about a shaker hood? Goes along with a shaking Kohler.

JimE

Psul K.

You're right about St. Louis winters. I'm in Fenton near the pink elephant if you know that landmark. I've got a few local connections if you need stuff on the spot.

I've got a 126 with blade and have yet to get to push any snow with it. It's always apart when it snows or the snow is gone by the time I get home.

These guys will set you on the right path. (watch out for Digger though. haha.) Email me if you'd like.

Back