• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschutz

displayname
Melody Schutz
I've put a quit a bit of money into my 127 & 125 and have started on my 126, but I get alot of enjoyment out of working on them and working them.

I look at the money I spent as an investment. I will also say that without this forum's help, the many manuals I now have, I would have been in trouble. I've had my 682 now for 25 years and now it will probably outlive me. I don't think about it's value because I probably will never sell it.

Andrew,
I paid more for the rear tires (only the rubber part) on mine than you paid for the whole tractor! I paid around $250-$300 for my 128, and am up to around $2,200.00 and counting (adding lights). Go to the local dealer and see what you can get for 2,200; something made of popcans that came from overseas that will rust away if left out in the rain! Anyway,$500 will get you going. Go ahead and spend another 2K and make it look new and last another 40 years! You can't do that with what they sell today!
217407.jpg

Jerry,

The PTO won't disengage even when the turnbuckle is tightened all the way. There is no visible indication of any problems...it was rebuilt recently and hasn't had much use since. It worked fine last month when we first attached the snowthrower. Hoping for a fix short of removing the PTO, at least at the moment.

without a doubt that is very true. my parents 2135 was made of out pop cans and cost around 2 grand. 12 years later the ONLY thing that is still any good about it is the kohler command engine. the rest of it is pure junk. hopefully in another 20-30 years parts will still be available. hopefully oil will still be avialable, otherwise we will all be driving reproduction ge eltra-traxs

I would have to agree with Norm below. Im only 19 years old and have been buying and fixing Cub Cadets since I was a freshman in high school. Every Cub I have bought has needed work, and theyve ranged from $50 to as much as 300. You cant complain about a 35-40 year old tractor not being "ready to mow", or take the PO's word on it. Theyve been used and abused in my opinion, and after having twelve running cubs currently, you learn to put the needed parts in NOW, and you have a Cub to enjoy for years to come. An "investment", perfectly described.

Andrew D.

I have a 147 that has tires on it that cost me $225.00 and a new set of wires another $85.00 . I then installed a new 30 Carb from evilpay. I gave 350.00 for the tractor and had it moved to Maine and drove over there to visit Frank C and bring home my 147 (12 hrs one way). I changed hytran and did all the usual stuff and I think now i`am well over what I could ever sell it for and make a cent. It could use a seat and paint and the deck could stand a refurbish now. BUT I have a better tractor than can be bought now or ever again.I do smile when I drive it and I guess that`s worth it for me. If you can find a Cub Cadet over here its going for $800.00 to $1500.00 and you will still have to fix a few never tells.I think if you can buy a good tractor and do all the repairs and spend under $1000.00 you go a deal,for what you have when your done !
greenthumb.gif

Quick question,

I was wondering if any of the Front end loader kits are still made for any of the NF cubs or any of the WF cubs. I have a friend near me who is gonna buy a cub cadet if he can still get the front end loader kit, he hasn't seen to many around here and neither have I so that is why I was asking.

Steve,

Next thing I'd do is follow Wayne's advice. Take it off and see what you're dealing with. It's not worth trying to avoid the inevitable disassembly and having the new parts in your rebuild ruined. Good news is that if it's recently been rebuilt you know how to remove it and everything should come apart easily.

Jerry

Charlie (digger) lol

I can`t believe what I just read !

(
Personally I don't care for the 169, but after I did some work to it and cleaned it up a bit, I kinda like it. )

We all know that took you years to finish and its proudly displayed on http://www.ccspecialties.org/ top left corner.
I know you have more than a few hrs spent on that tractor. And If you really don`t want the 169 ,well just send it over here.I`ll take it off your hands lol.
clappy.gif

is the 147 a nicer tractor than my greenie 112? i have done a fair amount of work to that machine and it has paid off. she's a workhorse, does everything. im hopping the cub will be the same when done, maybe a little nicer. i think hydros are nicer than gear drives. what do you guys think. IH certainlly had one of the best hydro units ever built, no doubt in my mind about that one. thing is i already have a good tractor, im just hoping for nicer tractor with the 147. faster mowing, maybe tighter turning(dont know about that one), little more comfortable to operate

Andrew-

I have learned from many friends on here that each cub is what you make it, and that if you really look at they each have their own personality (so to say). I have 2 the first one i bought ended up the same way as your 147, but i have started the slow process of restoring it while using the tired but still running 127 ( although it has it's own issues, keeps on going). Really and truthfully it is all in what you want to do with it and to it. I know how you feel about a bum engine i have one currently in rebuild process as we speak, but I am doing it on a budget so i have had to do a little at a time. In the end it will all be worth it to have two good tractors.

one of the things i would like to do is have 2 running tractors. at that point i could do a full cosmetic restoration on my "greenie", when that tractor is complete i would be able to take the cub fully apart, and do a full cosmetic restoration on the cub. then i would have 2 handsome looking workhorse garden tractors for my yard. 2 different brands, both good tractors.

it would take allot of money, but i would be nice to have 2 fully restored garden tractors from the best era of garden tractors. the early 1970's

Hello everyone... earlier I posted a ??? about my 147 steering column I thought I had a top bearing cup stuck in the column housing. upon Inspection I found it was missing check out the pics not good focus but think you can tell. Jeff U
217412.jpg

see how big & raged the center hole is..

217413.jpg

here the only cup i took out put in the top fits like a glove...}
217414.jpg
End view

Andrew,
FWIW IMHO you never, never, never and I repeat NEVER get your total investment back on a total tractor restortion job. Restore it to your needs and ability and be happy.

Andrew, I bought a 129 years ago knowing that the engine needed to be rebuilt. So while the engine was out, I fixed the front axle pin, the driveshaft, put hydraulic lift on it, rear ag tires, and a paint job. The engine got a cheater cam and the head shaved for more power. When it was all done i figured out what I had in it. That $100 tractor is now a $1200 tractor. Will I be able to sell it for that? No, but I have a machine that will do about anything I want to it. I thought I got a great deal on a 125 once also. I paid $25. The P.O. said it ran when he parked it. Well, I got it going but it knocked so bad that I was waiting for the rod to go through the block. I guess I can say that I have bought good deals and have put a lot of money in others. But how many other tractors can you go out and plow a farm field with and enjoy doing it. I do not want to guess how many acres that 129 has plowed over the years.

Andrew i wish i was closer to you and could take that 147 off your hands for that price. I have owned a 147 for almost 30 years and have put one new engine in it. That tractor has paid for itself many times. I don't think there is any tractor made that can take the abuse my 147 has taken. I don't totally refurbish my tractors but i do keep them in good mechanical shape. I have 14 cub cadets and every one required repair when i bought them. I think your 147 is a good investment.

MARTY GWIN - With all due respect, NEVER KEEP TRACK of the MONEY.... And HIDE all the reciepts. GESH... WHAT would your CFO think! It's for your own good. BTW, Nice looking 128.

JEFF U. - bearing races in the little Ross steering gear. Yep, I've seen them "disappear" like that. I really think Ross should have designed the boxes to use taper roller bearings like wheel bearings. But in most cases those boxes have held up O-K. I got to be an "Expert" on them with my CC 72, I rebuilt the factory one twice, and finally replaced it with a shiny new one 4-5 yrs ago. They are not cheap, even with my discount it cost almost what I paid for my CC 72 yrs ago.

MATT - I bought my 982 ready to mow. And I think it was exactly that. The hydro trunion was toast and had a sloppy repair but it ran O-K for 4-5 yrs.

CHARLIE - When I rebuilt my K321 for my CC 72 I did like MArty G and saved the reciepts. I put some things in that engine I didn't need but ended up with about $1200 in engine parts alone. And another $300-$400 for other driveline parts.

Looked into my regulator some more yesterday and I checked the voltage when I squeze the upper contacts and it is 18 so I should be able to adjust them to where they put 14 volts to the batt.

Thanks for the help on my charging isues.

Back