• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generator hookup:
A slightly different variation from Ed Smith's method. I had the circuits I felt were necessary to keep the important stuff running installed in a small sub-panel. Also in that panel was a 60 amp breaker to power the panel's circuit off of the main panel, and a 30 amp breaker that is fed from the generator. They are mounted one above the other. There is a small metal piece which resembles a boomerang, that does not allow both breakers to be on at the same time. This isolates my generator from the incoming power line. Makes a nice package plus I know when power is restored when I see circuits active that are feed directly from the main panel. Upgrading to a 200 amp service and this subpanel with outside plug for generator was around $1400 in 1999. I wrote up a little guideline for hooking up the generator and attached it to the inside of the panel door. Anyone that can wheel the generator (5kw) out of the shed can hook it up.
Now a little larger generator powered by my Cub 147 would be nice.

Does anyone know if new heads are available for the K series Kohlers? I need one for my K321 and one for my K341. I went to the engine supply place this afternoon and he said that the book says that he needs to call the factory. If they are available do you know about how much? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Scott

Scott-
Unless you're looking for a special head, they're all over. Almost all the sponsors should have them, if not I'm sure they have a number you can certainly call. A couple years ago I needed a head for my 169, Don Vogt had one, had it in my hands in a day or two.

Just out of curiousity will a Magnum head work? I thought they were based off the K-series engines.

Scott
The parts book for a 321 shows that there is 5 different part numbers depneding on your spec. #
The highest was 102.81 & the lowest was 75.32
I don't have a book on 341.

<font color="ff0000">Moderator's Note: No For Sale Or Wanted Ads in this section.</font> Contact any of the sponsors of this site and get fast efficient service and genuine replacement parts at the very best prices.

Scott M, Don M,
How bout goin to one of the sponsors at the top of the page instead of some goof ball that could care less about ya, BTDT with those folks a LONG time ago!!!!!!

Thanks for mentioning that Charlie.

Just a couple clicks and there's your answer.

can someone re-post the pics of the reinforced front spindles? i am re-doing mine, and would like a guide. i looked in the archives, but no avail...

i tried the "Cream" color powder coat from eastwood... it is a dang good match for cub/IH white....
14322.jpg

14323.jpg

14324.jpg

here is an action shot of the QA42 chute in the oven..
14325.jpg

I do utilize the sponsors at this site for all my parts. I'm in CT and the spark plug blew out of my 1650 in the middle of plowing and I needed it right away that is why I went to a local guy. I have another 1650 that is waiting to be restored (maybe) that I could take the head off but I would prefer not to. If I found the they were still availible new from my question on this site) I would wait and call SM on Monday if not I would cannibalize my other 1650. It wasn't a want ad just a information request. Sorry for the confusion.

charlie... that is exactly the pic i was looking for... i was concerned as to how the zerk fitting was dealt with....

thanx!!

Hey Kraig-

Ever notice that in this generator picture you posted a few days ago that something doesnt look right?
14334.jpg

Notice that the cub has a 70/100 hood decal and is belt driven like an original.
What's up with that?

To Randy Taylor and others, here is a good predictor on estimating any small gasoline engine generator / engine match-up. Remember 85%, a very important number.

Small generators (alternators) average about 85% efficiency, that is mechanical to electrical conversion. Knowing that 746 watts = 1 BHP (brake horsepower) and the efficiency, we have:

Generator HP = Rated Watts/634

Example: A 2500 watt generator requires 2500/634 = 3.94 horsepower to drive.

Now, small air-cooled engines are derated to 85% of their full BHP rating for continuous, 3600 rpm applications, as stated by the manufacturer. Thus for a 5 BHP engine used on a generator set, max power available would be as follows:

Engine BHP continuous = .85 X 5 = 4.25

In this example, a 5 hp advertised rated engine is slightly more than adequate for driving a 2500 watt generator. This is a good match.

For determining watts output knowing the rated power of the engine, here's another example.

Engine is K301 rated 12 BHP @ 3600 rpm.
Continuous duty rating would be .85 X 12 = 10.2 BHP. This will be the actual mechanical power input into the generator. Solving the first equation for watts output, we have:

Rated Watts = 634 X 10.2 = 6500

Does this help?

Greetings:

I have a 128 with a K-301 that will not start now. I shut it down when I heard a very load knocking in it and checked oil and what not. When I went to restart, it would not fire. I went through the trouble shooting section in the manual and still no luck. It has good spark, the pistion moves freely and it turns over well. Could this be a problem valve. I plan on taking the head off later, is there any advice that all would sugest. I want the 128 running again soon. Shovelling snow vs. throwing it with the 128 is not as much fun.

Thanks
Todd

Speaking of pissing off the wife,

"They followed me home honey, I swear..."

14337.jpg

Todd G.: Pull the plug out(try a new plug when you go to try it again) and put your finger over the spark plug hole when cranking. You should feel compression if not it's a valve problem usually. if compression is felt pour a little gas in the spark plug hole and screw the new plug in and it should try to run. if won't stay running it's probably carb problems, You said you have spark but make sure it is a good blue spark. That should check 3 things needed for running. compression, spark and fuel.

Comming up for air.....
Basement work is nearing end. Once it is done then the real work will begin, pulling Stinkies engine to get at that starter.

Interesting discusion on generators and power switching. Is the same formula used when they rate tractors? I have seen tractors advertised in Europe with Kw ratings instead of HP ratings.

WOW three days playing with the cub just don't get any better.lots of snowplowing. ilove it!

Back