• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or go HERE and get a double drilled lift pin. The extra length gives extra height on rear mounted implements. It raised my plow about 4" when in the raised position.

Richard, the lines are T'd (parallel). As long as the cylinders are the same size, hydraulic pressure will equalize them.

John W. Yes it will. The steering shafts are the same(as far as the splined portion) the length changed from the models.

The Original through the 71/72, maybe even the 73 were all the same.

I don't post to much but all the talk on generators got me wondering. If anybody has any info on this one let me know. When I got it it was setup to run on LP gas. (I wanted the head off the motor). I changed it over to gas and it runs and works well but I have no idea what its rated at watt wise? To keep it on topic it does have a Cub gas tank setup.
14309.jpg

Here is a pic of the plowday tractor I been working on.
14310.jpg

The Cub Cadet dealer couldn't help me with a belt for my snowthrower, so I went to an electric motor repair shop and got a belt 30" long. Now when I turn the key, the snowthrower turns as well (no matter what position the handle is in that is supposed to engage it). Could anyone shed any light on this? Why does it turn the snowthrower when I am trying to start the engine?

A second question is: How fast does your engine turn over when you attempt to start it? Does it whirl right over or crank more like a model-A Ford? Mine cranks like the model-A, even before I put the snowthrower on. Looks like I will be shoveling 24-30 inches of the white stuff again this storm. If I could get this 149 to move, I would drive it out on the ice and let it fall in the lake.

Losing faith in the frozen north,
Jim

Randy, I love the 160!!!! That is way too cool!

It sure is dead in here. I pick on our buddy Kraig, by insulting them slanted grills, and there is just no action here.... Oh, well...

ihrotate.gif

Jim, pretty big words there... Sheesh, some of us would love to have one...

Jim W.,
Adjust your PTO linkage rod so that there is a .020 gap between the wear button and steel pto button. It sounds like you have too much air gap so that when you pull back on the pto lever it doesn't fully disengage the pto, therefore the thrower spins while you crank the engine, it is still connected to the PTO. Kenny

Jim,
If the last message sounded off base, you may have the newer (later production 8/9 series) OPEI mandated safety PTO brake on it. It uses a disc of friction material on a stamped, spring loaded cup to stop the operating device faster than the old style of buttons. Do you have a pic of which one you have?
Kenny

Concerning backup generators...

Double throw switches can carry a pretty hefty price tag. My dad and I have installed several back up systems over the last few years. Dad is a retired meterman/electrician for the the same utility co. that Steve Blunier currently works for, (just in case you want to check out if this is a legit way to do it.)
We purchase a small auxiliary box, one 60 amp 240v breaker and three oven outlets and two oven plug/cords plus appropriate 3cond. cable. Install the 50amp breaker into your main box going out to one of the oven receptacles (MAIN RECEPTILCE). Mount the aux. box next to the main box and install breakers/circuits (removed from the main box) to run the bare minimums in your house...one kitchen circuit, well, furnace blower, one bedroom circuit. the feed for this box is the (oven plug #1). Next to the MAIN RECEPTICLE install the GENERATOR RECEPTICLE (oven outlet #2)which is fed by an extension cable coming through the sill from an outside, all weather box(oven plug #2 inside), which plugs into the generator. In an outage situation, unplug the aux box from the main box and plug it into the generator fed box, (after starting the generator and plugging the cable into the generator). Use a longer cable from the generator to the house to get the noise away from the house if you like. I keep the extension cable on top of my generator in the shed. In 5 min. I have power enough to keep my house running albeit at a bare minimum. No stove or oven but I have used an electric grill and the microwave plus kitchen lights at one time with a 5KW generator
#1 Very economical compared to purchasing a double throw switch.
#2 If wired correctly, impossible to feed back into the system AND protects your generator too.

Kenny, I think you hit the nail on the head! I need to adjust the linkage rod. I was reluctant to do so because everything seemed to work cool with the rototiller. This is the first time I have ever attached this snowthrower and was wondering if it had something to do with the width of the belt I installed or the ability of the PTO to disengage.

Thanks for the tip! Boy that was fast...I barely finished my hot chocolate. Thanks, jim

Jim: I think Jeff has you going in the right direction.

As far as crank speed goes, the starter generator on your 149 isn't going to spin the engine like your car, it's a slower but effective chug...

Randy-
I hope you find more bolts to put those rear wheels on, I don't think two will cut it
happy.gif

100's look better in red, nice work. What brand & type are the front tires, it looks like they say Carlisle but I've never seen those before.

Jim-
Try bypassing your starter solenoid and just use a set of jumper cables to start it (go right to the case/terminals), that'll tell you if you have poor connections. If it still cranks slow, you may be in need of a starter generator rebuild, your brushes are probably worn out.

Hey all, Is there a kit available to add power steering to a 782? If not does anyone have the information required? Thanks in advance...

Ken

Wyatt,
The front tires are Carlise X-Trac I got them from cedar rapids they dont stock them but they can order them. On the rear lug nuts I want to put in automotive type studs with chrome lug nuts as soon as I can find the right type that I can make work. Then I'll load the tires. I sure do hate fighting back tires. When I find what will work I'm going to change over all my tractors.

Is there an aftermarket belt available for the 108 mower deck, such as a Gates No.

Fixing a 108 for a buddy and need a mower deck belt from PTO to Deck.

Also, does somebody have a wiring diagram, maybe Kraig has one available. Checked archives and could not find one.

Kraig:
Do you have a copy of the "Assembly Instructions" for initial assembly of a cub when it arrived at the dealer?

I found one for a 86, 108, 109, 128, 129 and 149.

Rev. 3 10-72

Ken, Pat I did it, but I hope you have one of those biiiiiig checkbooks ;-)

The best thing to do is to find a newer garden tractor with power steering and use it.

Back